The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 08, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, DefCon1 said:

Well it seems now that Green and his strategy, the way he prepared the team and his style of play was not a fit for this team at all. I say that it goes back even before the bubble but during the bubble we had more of those shot blocking players, Demko and Marky plus Tanev. Otherwise Green has been a problem ever since he signed. We have been botyom feeders with Green for a long time now. One silver lining is that it bought us Hughes, Podkolazin and Petersson so it was only good in that aspect 

I don’t think it’s fair to say JB only got us Hughes, Podkolzin and Pettersson as GM. He didn’t get everything right and he hung onto loyalty for Green for about 5-10 games too long, but this whole team as it sits was built by Benning. You can argue and debate over whether this team could be better then what JB did (I’d agree with you in fact), but he wasn’t only responsible for drafting. Trades and contracts count too.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes like I said we need a right hand 4C and a left hand 3rd pairing D.  That was Schenn can move over to the right side.  He can rotate with Hamonic.  Myers is playing solid this year and is fine with OEL.  Schenn and Hamonic can play with Hughes.  Poolman is fine in the #5 spot, we just need to give him a full time partner.

Myers has been on and off. Schenn is a solid 7th on a good team and Hamonic/Poolman are good 5 D. We will only ever be a wild-card team at best with this D-core and that's because our top 6 forward group is deep and we have a stellar goalie. The D-makeup isn't that great either. No real defensive guys.

We need a few players with bite and pushback in the bottom 6. On top of a 4th C(Sutter?) and another solid 3rd C since Miller jumps up and down in the lineup and for top 6 injuries.

21 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Really? Is Petey on the bench scrolling through CDC between shifts? Fans criticizing Petey on a message board isn't going to affect his play. And if it does, he better find a new profession. Sure if people in-game started booing him whenever he touched the puck that would definitely wreck his confidence, but that ain't happening.

I don't know about you, but I know a few pro's

They read, here on the radio and TV

Have people comment on the street.

They have thick skins, but they are already tormenting themselves with their own expectations.......

My point was, any out side voices when they already know, just does not help

Petey already knows what his expectations are, due to  his negotiations

I would just rather support him and help him out of his funk.........

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Myers has been on and off. Schenn is a solid 7th on a good team and Hamonic/Poolman are good 5 D. We will only ever be a wild-card team at best with this D-core and that's because our top 6 forward group is deep and we have a stellar goalie. The D-makeup isn't that great either. No real defensive guys.

We need a few players with bite and pushback in the bottom 6. On top of a 4th C(Sutter?) and another solid 3rd C since Miller jumps up and down in the lineup and for top 6 injuries.

Schenn didn't play like a #7 D tonight.  At some point you have to say these guys can play.  You can't just put a number on them.  Hamonic and Schenn are fine playing with Huggy.  Whether you want to call them a #5, #6 or #7 it doesn't really matter.  At the end of the day they are getting the job done under a new coach.  What we need is a guy who can play on the left side, be nasty and aggressive and kill penalties.  That is a start for now.  Once the new GM is in place he can evaluate if an upgrade is needed on the right side.  Upgrading the right side as in adding a partner for Hughes is going to cost a big asset.  RHD who can play in the top 4 aren't cheap.  You will need to trade a top 6 forward to get one.  Are you willing to trade Miller or Boeser or Horvat to get that player?

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Toni Tanti was a beauty playing on a very bad team. How much would he be making in today's NHL?

Also who would of thought putting your best players on the penalty kill might be a good idea??

Bure is 2 goals off the lead for all time short handed goals with like 500 games less than Federov who is first.

Bure would scare the living bejesus out of the point guys, one bad pass and he was gone you had zero chance of catching him!

Guess who will top the leaderboard by the end of his career for SH goals hes only 5 goals behind? The one and only RAT BOY

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, theochar said:

Toni Tanti was a beauty playing on a very bad team. How much would he be making in today's NHL?

Also who would of thought putting your best players on the penalty kill might be a good idea??

Bure is 2 goals off the lead for all time short handed goals with like 500 games less than Federov who is first.

Bure would scare the living bejesus out of the point guys, one bad pass and he was gone you had zero chance of catching him!

Guess who will top the leaderboard by the end of his career for SH goals hes only 5 goals behind? The one and only RAT BOY

Isn't Gretzky the all time NHL leader in shorthanded goals?  I believe he has 73...

Schenn didn't play like a #7 D tonight.  At some point you have to say these guys can play.  You can't just put a number on them.  Hamonic and Schenn are fine playing with Huggy.  Whether you want to call them a #5, #6 or #7 it doesn't really matter.  At the end of the day they are getting the job done under a new coach.  What we need is a guy who can play on the left side, be nasty and aggressive and kill penalties.  That is a start for now.  Once the new GM is in place he can evaluate if an upgrade is needed on the right side.  Upgrading the right side as in adding a partner for Hughes is going to cost a big asset.  RHD who can play in the top aren't cheap.  You will need to trade a top 6 forward to get one.  Are you willing to trade Miller or Boeser or Horvat to get that player?

These are the same guys who've been on this team during a horrendous stretch. You're going off a very short sample size compared to what I am going off of. Don't get your hopes up in 2 games. Look at the bigger picture. Coaching was just one of the reasons why this team was struggling. You don't play that bad just because of coaching. It was one of many problems such as the D-core.

You could draft a D for Hughes since he's still young enough or sign one in FA once we clear cap. Half our D are from free agency so it can be done. There are lots of options to look at.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn't Gretzky the all time NHL leader in shorthanded goals?  I believe he has 73...

Yes sorry I didn't go back far enough in the stats search. Top 5 Gretzky, Messier :sick:, Yzerman, Lemieux, Kurry, Pavel 10th.

Same principle still applies, putting guys that can score on the PK is a goooood idea, lofty company there

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

These are the same guys who've been on this team during a horrendous stretch. You're going off a very short sample size compared to what I am going off of. Don't get your hopes up in 2 games. Look at the bigger picture. Coaching was just one of the reasons why this team was struggling. You don't play that bad just because of coaching. It was one of many problems such as the D-core.

You could draft a D for Hughes since he's still young enough or sign one in FA once we clear cap. Half our D are from free agency so it can be done. There are lots of options to look at.

Drafting an 18 year old RHD to play with Huggy is going to take years before that partnership happens, unless you are thinking we are going to get an Aaron Ekblad in the draft.  We don't have much cap to clear in the summer and in 2023 we have to re-sign Horvat and Miller.  So there isn't much money to go around.  At the end of the day if you want an Erik Cernak type player you will need to trade a top 6 forward.

This team isn't perfect but it looked on paper to be a playoff team in the summer.  We now see that this is the case with a new coach.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, theochar said:

Yes sorry I didn't go back far enough in the stats search. Top 5 Gretzky, Messier :sick:, Yzerman, Lemieux, Kurry, Pavel 10th.

Same principle still applies, putting guys that can score on the PK is a goooood idea, lofty company there

Bure does lead the Canucks.  Just like Gretzky and Kurri, when Bure was killing penalties he was a threat to score every time.  It was beautiful to watch.  I believe Petey can eventually be that guy too.  We will see.  One step at a time.  

Drafting an 18 year old RHD to play with Huggy is going to take years before that partnership happens, unless you are thinking we are going to get an Aaron Ekblad in the draft.  We don't have much cap to clear in the summer and in 2023 we have to re-sign Horvat and Miller.  So there isn't much money to go around.  At the end of the day if you want an Erik Cernak type player you will need to trade a top 6 forward.

This team isn't perfect but it looked on paper to be a playoff team in the summer.  We now see that this is the case with a new coach.  

That is just one of many routes we could go. Some longer-term, some shorter term. We're a team that can decide to take a lot of different paths right now. The GM will get to do decide where we go.

Not sure we can sign both Miller/Horvat since we are pretty cap strapped for a while. Wishful thinking. We still have Boeser to re-sign and will have raises for some of the youngsters too. Hopefully they'll want to be here cheap.

We looked like a 'potential' team before on paper. Nothing sure fire. A lot of people had concerns about the D-core. A lot of people came into the season with an open mind.

Still a lot of decisions to be made and a lot of work to be done.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That is just one of many routes we could go. Some longer-term, some shorter term. We're a team that can decide to take a lot of different paths right now. The GM will get to do decide where we go.

Not sure we can sign both Miller/Horvat since we are pretty cap strapped for a while. Wishful thinking. We still have Boeser to re-sign and will have raises for some of the youngsters too. Hopefully they'll want to be here cheap.

We looked like a 'potential' team before on paper. Nothing sure fire. A lot of people had concerns about the D-core. A lot of people came into the season with an open mind.

Still a lot of decisions to be made and a lot of work to be done.

I would agree on that.  One of those guys could be used to get a top 4 RHD to play with Huggy.  My hunch is it could be Miller.  At 30 years old is the new GM going to give him an 8x8 contract?

53 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I can’t help but notice the amount of times we flipped the pucks into the neutral zone, there’s usually a guy up on the play almost waiting for that puck in the neutral zone. They’ve used the middle of the neutral zone in almost every set play I’ve seen so far.

Too bad we don't got Bure no more... if they had removed the stupid 2 line pass during Bure Era we could of had like 10 cups by now

45 minutes ago, Firstname Lastname said:

I remember the Canucks team was also playing a much more aggressive style in Green's first few years here.
I think things just got stale and was time for a fresh voice.

Yeah: all good things eventually comes to an end; and one day, Boudreau will be fired.  Imo, Boudreau is a good  short term coach and Walker might be  the long term candidate (?) cause Boudreau might be a good (outsider) candidate for a position in management. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bure does lead the Canucks.  Just like Gretzky and Kurri, when Bure was killing penalties he was a threat to score every time.  It was beautiful to watch.  I believe Petey can eventually be that guy too.  We will see.  One step at a time.  

I think Petey is going to be a late bloomer it's a physiological development thing with him. At 19-20 he was still a kid with no sense of fear but he got injured a lot if you remember his first 2 seasons. He's missed a lot of hockey in the last year as well. Looking at the tash he was trying to grow for Movember is a tell tale sign he is still growing into a man body. He needs to hit the gym and put on some functional muscle he looks like bambi at the moment. Look out if he puts it all together at 25 he's going to be a beast just in time for his new contract. Bure was built like a sh*t brickhouse he was like 190 and could level people if he had too, he was a bad man when he needed to be with a killer instinct in front of goal

• Upvote 1

Next game will be another important game... win or lose! Hopefully win cause Winnipeg has a back to back. So hopefully we can take advantage of them and krakens could help wear them down for us... I believe demko has the hot hands and continue to ride him till he can't take it no more... I guess Coach BB is a father figure for our young core? Young at heart!!! Knows when and where to have some sort of fun? If we beat every team above us in our conference it's a winning season in my  books. Cause canucks are 2-0 so far.. we are playing above .500.. Benning was to dumb to see green was the problem... or was it the owner wanted to cheap out on management? We will never know... I think it's the later cause after linden he never hired president! I guess he took over president without a tag...? 

• Cheers 1