The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC First Nations 2030 Winter Olympic Bid

JM_

Yeah I don’t think this will be happening…

Essentially 8 years to go with BC crumbling from Covid, Summer record heat, Floods etc.. 

There is no appetite to invest in such a project with too many problems at home.

I think the first Olympics were fine and good enough to show the world what Vancouver has to offer, but second time around would be tiresome and meaningless. 

and the fact the IOC are greedy and corrupt a-holes who only care about money… 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Upvote 1

I loved the olympics here, and I bought into the "how much tax dollars will it cost" narrative.  

One of my fondest memories and I'd be all for it.  

2 hours ago, drummer4now said:

Essentially 8 years to go with BC crumbling from Covid, Summer record heat, Floods etc.. 

What?  BC is not crumbling from Covid at all.  We've done as good as job as anyone out there (I argue that we've been too cautious, but that's another discussion).  

Summer record heat is an issue?  Don't think so. 

Floods are going to be dealt with in a matter of weeks.  Natural disasters can happen anywhere. 

These are non-issues when it comes to olympics. 

9 hours ago, JM_ said:

the funding sources for these things are typically new debt-driven tho and not impacting the typical budget line items, and this one seems like a very safe bet to ensure whats being invested in pays off - like more rental housing or transit. The feds are also desperate to drop money in to infrastructure.

Its really the recycling of the 2010 investments that makes it a no- brainer for me.

Pretty much how I feel. If we were building everything from scratch I’d say it’s too expensive given the costs we are incurring from natural disasters, but there’s probably very little that needs to get built this time to make it happen. Housing and public transportation are always an investment that pays off and I’d think those would be the main costs for another bid, so there’s little dollars that would be wasted.

We also hosted well last time and it gave us the Golden goal, a moment we will all remember and tell our future generations about. If not 2030, then definitely another games in the future. It makes too much sense not to imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I really liked the drawings i saw for that.

Wish they would get it done one way or another. I know some of the Kits community have their knickers in a twist about it but the city needs more rental inventory and low income housing. 

every project has that. BC has a very high contingent of folks that hate any kind of development. They'd prefer an alley beside a bridge instead of more rental options.

• Cheers 1

I'd be for the games again.  

How often does BC get big Federal money?  Not very often.  That money can help speed up much needed infrastructure. 

As long as we can reuse older buildings and repurpose any new facilities built.  I see it as a win.

23 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Olympics should just be rotated amongst the cities that have hosted and have all the infrastructure in place already, otherwise you get disasters like Sochi.  

Hmm....sounds like someone is too young to remember Montreal '76....B)

21 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

We don't have 'all' of it. New housing will need to be built for athletes in both locales. This isn't a bad thing but the one thing that needs doing. Also the highway to Whistler could use some more work from the once you hit Whistler to the Village stretch. Should have been 2 lanes when 2010 hit but our mayor at the time was a moron. 

That's infrastructure that we need anyway though.  Better to spend the money on that than on luge tracks.