The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] James Neal

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is a good post. What I am realizing as we discuss this further is that everyone wants a good fourth line but they are far from easy to acquire. When was the last time we had a good fourth line, 2011? Dorsett was good but alas. Too bad but yeah I agree our 4th line offers next to nothing. I hate to say it but Motte isn't really a difference maker on his own either.

There are some good 4th lines in the league. There are some pretty blah ones too. We have one of the worst, if not the worst, but that's also a microcosm of spending heavy on forwards and D and the cap is tight. It appears we have some extra cap, close to $3m but I don't think it's available. Taken up next year or something if I recall but correct me if I'm wrong.

Some of my comments about Chiasson have just been in regards to Heffy calling him down. I was just pointing out that our new miracle coach BB is still choosing him over the 13th skater and anyone else on the farm. In addition JR could have picked up a waiver guy like Neal or made the simplest of moves to switch him out but he hasn't acted yet either. 

As for MacEwen he's a terrible hockey player imo, even if he can fight he can't play hockey well. Gadjovich is young and has potential but he's not good enough to play in the NHL this year. I can understand people wanting an upgrade on what we have but imo these guys are simply interchangeable tweeners like Dowling, Chiasson, and Petan. I hope to hell we get someone that's more capable than that if we are serious about an upgrade.

I was not a fan of Derek Dorsett

in some ways he was cut from the same cloth as Rick Rypien, 

As much as I wish RR played against Boston in 2011,

both DD + RR fought because it made them relevant in the league

Essentially they fought for themselves not the team

i would rather Sestito, who amassed 29 minutes in LA avenging a fallen team mate

I would rather Pearson who fought for Garland

How many times did we see Dorsett accept a fight when the Canucks were winning a game and the momentum shifted away from the Canucks?

Matt Cooke taking on Iginla comes to mind as well

I would like to like MacEwen more than I do, but alas, you are correct, he is not very useful

But I will say this for him, and it is the one thing that gives me hope for his career

MacEwen would turn down fights when the Canucks were up 3-1

Dorsett never would

not saying he will, but MacEwen has the possibility to turn into a Pat Maroon

at 25YO (Mac's current age) Maroon had 25 NHL games to his credit

he is kind of like a defensive D-man who blossomed late

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loser Leafs and their stinky city suck old socks.  Matthews is a perv.  Nylander is a double flamingo.  Tavares is a pyjama boy.  Their only decent player is little Mitchell.  

what evs Alf

you schtick is getting a little tired

18 minutes ago, lmm said:

I was not a fan of Derek Dorsett

in some ways he was cut from the same cloth as Rick Rypien, 

As much as I wish RR played against Boston in 2011,

both DD + RR fought because it made them relevant in the league

Essentially they fought for themselves not the team

i would rather Sestito, who amassed 29 minutes in LA avenging a fallen team mate

I would rather Pearson who fought for Garland

How many times did we see Dorsett accept a fight when the Canucks were winning a game and the momentum shifted away from the Canucks?

Matt Cooke taking on Iginla comes to mind as well

I would like to like MacEwen more than I do, but alas, you are correct, he is not very useful

But I will say this for him, and it is the one thing that gives me hope for his career

MacEwen would turn down fights when the Canucks were up 3-1

Dorsett never would

not saying he will, but MacEwen has the possibility to turn into a Pat Maroon

at 25YO (Mac's current age) Maroon had 25 NHL games to his credit

he is kind of like a defensive D-man who blossomed late

Maybe I'm thinking of the Dorsett who had 7 goals and 2 assists in 20 games before being forced to retire. For me I think fighting is a pretty much useless endeavor and the league figured that out in the last 10 years. You rarely ever see a fight in the playoffs. So I agree anything is better than some plug who starts some dumb fight every 15 or 20 games because he can't play hockey. Players are too smart now. I would rather have a guy that can skate like the wind, forecheck and hit like a demon with the potential to score timely goals. That's a playoff 4th liner imo.

As far as Maroon he always had skill and played up the line-up in Anaheim. MacEwen has zero skill as far as I've seen. He basically just skates around behind the play or goes on solo 1v2 missions. I suppose he has the chance to blossom but I have zero hope for him. I would rather give anyone else a shot. He's already had plenty. 

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Maybe I'm thinking of the Dorsett who had 7 goals and 2 assists in 20 games before being forced to retire. For me I think fighting is a pretty much useless endeavor and the league figured that out in the last 10 years. You rarely ever see a fight in the playoffs. So I agree anything is better than some plug who starts some dumb fight every 15 or 20 games because he can't play hockey. Players are too smart now. I would rather have a guy that can skate like the wind, forecheck and hit like a demon with the potential to score timely goals. That's a playoff 4th liner imo.

As far as Maroon he always had skill and played up the line-up in Anaheim. MacEwen has zero skill as far as I've seen. He basically just skates around behind the play or goes on solo 1v2 missions. I suppose he has the chance to blossom but I have zero hope for him. I would rather give anyone else a shot. He's already had plenty. 

its too late now, but I wouldn't mind seeing what mac could do for BB

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

that was an anomaly

remember when Conan the Brabarian score 4 goals in 3 games 

or Brian Boucher had 3 consecutive shutouts?

Sam Gagner 15 points in one game

or that time I made sweet sweet love to 2 super models on the same transAtlantic flight? (ya me neither)

it happens to the worst of us sometimes

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, lmm said:

that was an anomaly

remember when Conan the Brabarian score 4 goals in 3 games 

or Brian Boucher had 3 consecutive shutouts?

Sam Gagner 15 points in one game

or that time I made sweet sweet love to 2 super models on the same transAtlantic flight? (ya me neither)

it happens to the worst of us sometimes

Your an animal! :ph34r: