The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] James Neal

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I haven’t looked, but I also suspect Neal wasn’t getting a ton of 1st unit PP time… so if anything Chiasson’s numbers would he inflated as 5 of his 6 points are from the power play.

Yeah that's true although 2 of Neal's 4 points were on the PP too. I wouldn't have been opposed to giving him a look over Chiasson but it looks like he cleared.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah that's true although 2 of Neal's 4 points were on the PP too. I wouldn't have been opposed to giving him a look over Chiasson but it looks like he cleared.

Neal is much slower than Chiasson. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ya, Rutherford says he ideally likes a big, fast team... so maybe he will just hold out for trades and moves that give him the right sort of player instead of little incremental upgrades.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Neal is much slower than Chiasson. 

Yeah neither are speedsters but Chiasson has a little more zip. Both are heavier players with good height. Neal does have more pedigree, skill and a great shot but he appears to be losing it quickly. I'm pretty confused as to the slack Chiasson gets here. He hasn't been a problem and doesn't make a lot of glaring mistakes. He's played pretty well lately, BB even put him on the first line. I think people get carried away hating on Green and conflagrate that with Chiasson somehow. I always thought he played quite well against us in the past. Expectations are sky high here for 4th liners.

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, Rutherford says he ideally likes a big, fast team... so maybe he will just hold out for trades and moves that give him the right sort of player instead of little incremental upgrades.

That's how I see it too. Why rotate players through hoping for something and disrupt the team when you can just target exactly what you're looking for? It'll be exciting to see if and when JR makes a trade and what it will be.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah neither are speedsters but Chiasson has a little more zip. Both are heavier players with good height. Neal does have more pedigree, skill and a great shot but he appears to be losing it quickly. I'm pretty confused as to the slack Chiasson gets here. He hasn't been a problem and doesn't make a lot of glaring mistakes. He's played pretty well lately, BB even put him on the first line. I think people get carried away hating on Green and conflagrate that with Chiasson somehow. I always thought he played quite well against us in the past. Expectations are sky high here for 4th liners.

He does literally nothing well enough to justify a roster spot.  Useless players are a problem.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He does literally nothing well enough to justify a roster spot.  Useless players are a problem.

Yes, all around the league I agree. Just curious who do you consider the better 4th line players in the league and who would you realistically replace him with?

Follow up question. If this so obvious why doesn't BB notice this as well?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Yes, all around the league I agree. Just curious who do you consider the better 4th line players in the league and who would you realistically replace him with?

Follow up question. If this so obvious why doesn't BB notice this as well?

There have been at least 20 better players waived, including a couple by us.  The vast majority of 4th liners would an upgrade over Green's pet plug.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Why would we even consider this guy just because he could be a tiny bit better than Chiasson?? We passed on Comeau and Clifford....  I'm sure Ruthie will get us some pieces when we are getting closer to a playoff spot!! 

I love this half glass full statement!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Me_ said:

If you watch the games, Chiasson is making some very sound decisions out there. He’s got some very good wheels for a big guy and his hands aren’t too bad either. He turns the play around quite often, digging out pucks from the opposition’s control. 

I’m actually impressed with him. Last game he was all over the ice. 

Miller, Podkolzin, Garland, OEL, Hughes, Myers, Motte, Höglander and Chiasson all had a great game.

Let's not forget the compete level shown by Highmore and Lammikko too!! Bruce is for real!! 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

53 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Because Rutherford hasn't brought in an NHLer yet.  No one in their right mind looks at what he's doing and thinks he's earned a job.

He has value on the PP and as a net front presence, as much as I’m not a fan he is not completely useless in fairness and Boudreau seems to agree. 

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

8 hours ago, combover said:

Funny because doweling and highmore have done nothing to make me thing either belongs in the NHL. 
Neil is defiantly on the tail end of his career but only 3 years older than doweling. I just think Neil on the forth line gives us something we lack grit and size something niether Fallsmore or dowel provide. And a hed be better net front player than chiasson. 

i doubt we pick him up but sooner or later we need to get rid of the ineffective  ahl 4th liners and bring in effective nhlers. 

I agree I just don’t think Neal is that player and as of now Dowling and Highmore are more effective players than Neal. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

He has value on the PP and as a net front presence, as much as I’m not a fan he is not completely useless in fairness and Boudreau seems to agree. 

Yeah. Obviously a guy with 592 NHL games who has scored 22 goals in a year and eclipsed 10 goals 5 different times is better than beyond useless. These guys credibility and objectivity is absolutely shot on this topic. I don't even pay them much attention anymore except when they pop in to spout this nonsense. Lol, it's funny to see them contradict themselves so much now. I could see it coming a month away. It must just drive these guys crazy seeing Chiasson every game. Hilarious! :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah. Obviously a guy with 592 NHL games who has scored 22 goals in a year and eclipsed 10 goals 5 different times is better than beyond useless.

By that logic, LE wasn't absolute trash over his time here.  Bottom line is Chiasson is slow as hell, poor defensively, doesn't hit a lot, and can't score 5 on 5.  He may have been able to contribute in the past, but he has done nothing either in training camp or this season to indicate he belongs in the NHL; the only reason he was gifted a spot is because an incompetent clown decided to get rid of anyone who played like they actually wanted the job.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

By that logic, LE wasn't absolute trash over his time here.  Bottom line is Chiasson is slow as hell, poor defensively, doesn't hit a lot, and can't score 5 on 5.  He may have been able to contribute in the past, but he has done nothing either in training camp or this season to indicate he belongs in the NHL; the only reason he was gifted a spot is because an incompetent clown decided to get rid of anyone who played like they actually wanted the job.

If a 7-0-1 record, under a new coach cannot bring you joy, nothing will, friend.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Me_ said:

If a 7-0-1 record, under a new coach cannot bring you joy, nothing will, friend.

The s**t-on-player game table is closed right now. Come back later when things are grimmer.

I'm happy, but we have to take opportunities to improve the team still.