The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Time for JR to make his first big move (Boeser)

I believe they want to get younger, so all of the core players can grow together. This includes the 1st round picks (players) over the next couple of years.  I think they want to also be faster and more aggressive.  

IMO, these players will (still) be on the team in 2 years:

Pettersson

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Klimovich

Hughes

Woo

Garland - including because he provides a lot of aggressive, fast play

OEL - they have him for a while and he's not going anywhere

Demko

Edited by NUCKER67

Boeser needs to improve in his skating abilities to be more affective player. He is too slow out there. He has great hands and moves but his skating is too slow in the NHL. Once he improves his speed and play a bit more aggressive he will be a keeper for Vancouver for long time. Its too bad he doesn't have a mean streak in him. I think that would help his game if he does. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 6:45 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

The Canadian dollar would help Brock because they get paid in USD. Getting paid in USD and having expenses in CAD is a win.

Money is money.   An NHL player - playing in TB, Vegas, Florida, Dallas and now Seattle can still purchase whatever they want in Canada...with a lot of extra money in their pocket.  

Look at Miller - not only did he lose his clauses, but he also is making 500k less since his trade - do you think that makes him happy?   No wonder he's swearing so much on the ice.   So far he's down 1.25 million and counting ...

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Money is money.   An NHL player - playing in TB, Vegas, Florida, Dallas and now Seattle can still purchase whatever they want in Canada...with a lot of extra money in their pocket.  

Look at Miller - not only did he lose his clauses, but he also is making 500k less since his trade - do you think that makes him happy?   No wonder he's swearing so much on the ice.   So far he's down 1.25 million and counting ...

I agree on the tax side of things. That part is obvious which is why I didn't allude to it. My response was regarding living expenses being more expensive in Canada, which is generally true if you only account for the local currency but the CAD/USD balances that out.

I think tax is another reason Miller ends up leaving as a UFA... or we pay him enough AAV to compensate

COVID has really hit this team hard over the last two seasons. A lot of players missing games, got to be tough for Boudreau, inventing new lines every game and still keeping them competitive. It makes me wonder if JR will make any changes at all. He may believe a healthy Canucks roster can be enough. This roster is depleted right now, so shipping out players is probably not high on JR's to do list.  He seems to be taking a long enough time even hiring a GM and A/GMs   

20 hours ago, RolexSub said:

Boeser needs to improve in his skating abilities to be more affective player. He is too slow out there. He has great hands and moves but his skating is too slow in the NHL. Once he improves his speed and play a bit more aggressive he will be a keeper for Vancouver for long time. Its too bad he doesn't have a mean streak in him. I think that would help his game if he does. 

I would think his foot speed would have been addressed now if it was deemed an issue...for him that is. He sure isn't like when he first took the league by storm as a rookie. He still puts up points as he gets top PP time and top 6 minutes. Brock NEEDS to get faster, if he doesn't I am not a big fan of giving him a big payday type contract paying him north of 7m let's say.

Needs to improve his skating like Horvat did, but sadly injuries have maybe hampered that a bit but last off season I believe he was healthy and could have got a skating coach like Bo had back in the day.

On 1/23/2022 at 5:17 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I believe they want to get younger, so all of the core players can grow together. This includes the 1st round picks (players) over the next couple of years.  I think they want to also be faster and more aggressive.  

IMO, these players will (still) be on the team in 2 years:

Pettersson

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Klimovich

Hughes

Woo

Garland - including because he provides a lot of aggressive, fast play

OEL - they have him for a while and he's not going anywhere

Demko

Wouldn't shock me to see Hog moved. is he a 3rd line winger? does he fit in a top 6 with Pete and Garland. as much as I love Hog I just don't see where he fits long term.

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Wouldn't shock me to see Hog moved. is he a 3rd line winger? does he fit in a top 6 with Pete and Garland. as much as I love Hog I just don't see where he fits long term.

It looks like a so-so season for him right now.  I had higher hopes for him this year.  With that said, he's a guy I want them to be patient with for another season or two.