The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Breaking New Boundaries

I’m ready to get some hate for this, but I have an idea: 

Trade Halak (assuming he waives), and sign Ann-Renée Desbiens to a PTO with the Abbotsford Canucks. 

It’s no secret she plays behind a stacked team Canada at the Olympics, and it’s obvious that this has inflated her stats. However, when watching her play I see an active glove hand, cross-crease mobility, confidence and very decent puck handling ability. At 5’7, there’s almost no chance at an NHL career for her, but I wonder what she’d look like when facing some of the top talent at the AHL level. Not to mention, even if it doesn’t work out, it would be a huge reward for her hard work, and a step forward for women’s hockey. As well, her experience being the best of the best could be priceless for some of our younger players like Lockwood and Klimovich. 

Thoughts?

Edited by AngryElf

1 hour ago, AngryElf said:

Trade Halak (assuming he waives), and sign Ann-Renée Desbiens to a PTO with the Abbotsford Canucks. 

It’s no secret she plays behind a stacked team Canada at the Olympics, and it’s obvious that this has inflated her stats. However, when watching her play I see an active glove hand, cross-crease mobility, confidence and very decent puck handling ability. At 5’7, there’s almost no chance at an NHL career for her, but I wonder what she’d look like when facing some of the top talent at the AHL level. Not to mention, even if it doesn’t work out, it would be a huge reward for her hard work, and a step forward for women’s hockey. As well, her experience being the best of the best could be priceless for some of our younger players like Lockwood and Klimovich. 

Thoughts?

OMG, big difference from women hockey to the AHL, speed of game, the shots? I bet most major Jr teams would beat the women Olympic team..

The pace, rushing to net super quick releases ... Big big difference.

A 6'0 goalie is small very few make it...Most goalies are between 6'2 -- 6'4 and super skilled athletes..

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AngryElf said:

Thoughts?

How does trading Halak get her ahead in the depth chart. Martin, Silov and Dipietro are all still ahead of her. Why put her is the AHL to get lit up just to have a girl on a team. We already have a short goalie in Dipietro getting lit up.

I don't see how this help us at all, it seems like we are just rewarding someone while hurting our goaltending depth for some reason, there is questions of 6ft0 Mikey DiPietro being to small let alone being 5ft7. being a goalie at  that size in any type of pro league is beyond a risk for the club they would be with, not to mention even in goaltending the men's game is vastly different to play 

10 hours ago, AngryElf said:

Thoughts?

"Breaking new boundaries"...hardly.  Manon Rheaume.  Might want to look her up.

Waiting for the Aquilini family and CSE to announce a woman's professional hockey team.  That would be a welcomed add-on to all the progressive moves Jim Rutherford has made in the past couple of months.  Would love to see a professional women's team in Vancouver.  Ann-Renee Desbiens would be an awesome signing for such a team if it existed.

Can't wait for the Canadian girls to lay to boots to the Americans for Olympic gold.

10 hours ago, AngryElf said:

Thoughts?

Ann-Renee Desbiens would get lit up at the American Hockey League level. She would stand no chance despite her level of skill. Women's hockey/skill level doesn't relate anywhere close to their male counterparts. I am all for equality and all of that but it would literally just be a publicity stunt. Would serve no real purpose.. She would get shelled by 4th line career AHL guys..  Women can't hang with the men when it comes to hockey, especially those that are 5'7. & that's not me being sexist. It's basic science. It wouldn't be fair to Desbiens.