The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Management has to be straight with the players

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

The problem is the majority of those wins were steals by Demko, in which we got outplayed. That's really not sustainable.

The stat that is interesting is how good the Canucks are 5v5. It's our PK that's absolutely murdering us. 

Unsurprising too considering that Beagle and Roussel were top tier penalty killers, as was Tanev. Sutter too. The realty is we don't have any truly top tier penalty killing defensemen. OEL is fine, but cant do it by himself. 

We just straight up do not have the personnel to run an effective PK. 

Don't forget Alex Edler.  For all his bumbling ways, Edler was a solid penalty killer.

17 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Its clear to me a lot of the members of this team are playing tentatively... a major reason for the Canucks' slow starts... because they are all unsure of what their future is with this team... these players lack focus.

I understand the new management wants to carefully evaluate all the players... but at the same time they should understand what they are doing to the team's morale by letting the trade hammer hang over everyone's head.

GM has to know there are certain players he won't move... and he should let those players know.  That way they can just go out there and play and not have to be second guessing themselves constantly.

Management can't have it both ways... expecting the players to work extra hard on the remote chance they can make the playoffs and at the same time making deals behind the scenes.

I can see why you were a cameraman and not a player...lmao!

Management needs to just do what is best for the team. This is not the time to coddle the players.

This club needs to get younger. Keep Demko , Hughes , Petey and some of the very young guys . I would keep Motte and just tweek the D.

Miller , Horvat , Pearson , Garland and Dickison would all be on the chopping block if it was in my hands. 

Don't do like Benning and drag your feet until it is too late. 

23 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Management needs to just do what is best for the team. This is not the time to coddle the players.

This club needs to get younger. Keep Demko , Hughes , Petey and some of the very young guys . I would keep Motte and just tweek the D.

Miller , Horvat , Pearson , Garland and Dickison would all be on the chopping block if it was in my hands. 

Don't do like Benning and drag your feet until it is too late. 

I agree. This is crazy that there are untouchable players.

EVERY single player is on the block every single day. That doesn't mean you shop guys but if you get an offer that improves your team you pull the trigger.

The "Petey is untouchable" argument is dumb. It's just highly unlikely an offer is strong enough to entice the Canucks.

Edited by Chris12345

18 hours ago, IBatch said:

The league has sure changed.   Curt Fraser, Smyl, Williams, Delorme, Snepsts (who beat Delorme later after he was traded away)...those teams were very different.     We had tough teams right up until the late 2000's.   And not just like most others, at points we were the toughest team in the entire league - late 90's during the late Quin and Keenan era.   

I wonder how EP would do if he had a Gillies on his line (Potvin also said in the article, he went into the corners like an 800 pound gorilla lol...with Bossy and Trotier you'd be hard pressed to find many (if any) better lines all-time.    

Those guys plus Rota, Jim Nill and Colin Campbell.  That's eight just on the 1982 team at once, and not counting Marc Crawford who had the best hockey card that year with blood streaming down his face.  People forget how feisty Rota was.

They freed up Boldirev, Gradin and Hlinka to go after the Lady Byng.  Whereas nowadays the whole team seems to go after the Lady Byng and hope that maybe someone like OEL will protect them from time to time.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

That bottom 6 cant score, cant PK  is not physical, cant fight. I just dont know what their purpose is aside from giving our top 6 some break in between shifts. JR needs to just get rid of them all, especially Dickenson who is completely useless.

Lammikko, Motter and Highmore have been great for us, they've even chipped in some offense recently. I have no problems with the 4th line. The third line centred by Dick is pretty bad and is exactly what you described. He was supposed to be a defensive centre that could go up against other team's top lines and free up Bo, this could not be further from the truth. 

• Cheers 1