The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Mar. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Ill assume Miller gets traded.  Also Boeser for cap/new look. 

Dickinson has to be moved bc losing Boeser/Miller is a lot of production to make up for.  Need scoring by committee.  

Im hoping Motte re-signs 

Hoagie EP Garland

Podz Horvat xxx/Motte

Pearson xxx xxx

Motte/xxx Lammikko Highmore

If the team can add some young, tenacious skilled/big forwards that could be a competitive FWD group imo.  Just have to make sure you target the right players and youve got 4 balanced lines.

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Totally agree. We are nothing special but like every other franchise in our fandom, regardless of location, continent or sport....

But Vancouver is our nick of the woods (and I'm not even a Vancouverite..), and to us its special...

And as such the local press, while of course being able to hold the team accountable, should also be optimistic and supportive of the team and everything around it... There is enough negativity around created by fans, which is normal. The local press doesn't need to add fuel to the flames, by producing unsubstantiated claims and stories... 

It almost feels as if they see it as their duty to create negativity in order to sell.... 

The flip side of this however is the likes of Joey Kenward, who are Team media hacks who paint everything rosy and lob softball questions at the players

I do not see any more value in Joey's "Reporting" than those every grumpy negative media types

same coin, other side, if you ask me

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I just find it odd how some people don't think the players had anything at all to do with the bad start. Where I'm from the players are the ones playing the game and have the most influence on winning and losing games. They share the brunt of the responsibility. The coaches and management all play big parts too but I wouldn't want anything to do with any player happy with their performance after an 8-15-2 start, besides maybe Demko. 

Thankfully I don't think any of the players are happy their lack of quality play during that period. Like some fans on here lol. I do think some experience/and or the right chemistry is missing in the dressing room and on the ice but I'm hopeful it will be addressed by Allvin and co..

I sure hope the players blame themselves for that ugly game and not Green lol. That's ridiculous. :lol:

Thing is we don't really know, what goes on within the group, although they do seem pretty good together.

Of course players lose form at times and go on bare runs, but still you should be putting in a shift. Hogs has been snake bitten recently, but he does put in a shift and that is the first step in the right direction. 

12 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Dickinson has to be moved bc losing Boeser/Miller is a lot of production to make up for.  Need scoring by committee.  

Im hoping Motte re-signs 

Hoagie EP Garland

Podz Horvat xxx/Motte

Pearson xxx xxx

If the team can add some young, tenacious skilled/big forwards that could be a competitive FWD group imo.  Just have to make sure you target the right players and youve got 4 balanced lines.

that looks like a top six destined for a lottery pick

9 minutes ago, lmm said:

The flip side of this however is the likes of Joey Kenward, who are Team media hacks who paint everything rosy and lob softball questions at the players

I do not see any more value in Joey's "Reporting" than those every grumpy negative media types

same coin, other side, if you ask me

Fact team has to have a media hack says just about everything about the rest of the media... 

I do like reporting about illnesses, injuries transfer rumours requests etc., but speculation or down right fabrications with very little evidence more than the ordinary fan can make up is not good for anyone. 

I'm not against the team being held accountable though....

(and yes I do realise the papers need to write something :) )

Edited by spook007

13 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Im hoping Motte re-signs 

Hoagie EP Garland

Podz Horvat xxx/Motte

Pearson xxx xxx

So why trade Miller then; you've freed up enough cap by jettisoning Boeser and Dickenson.

Podz-Petterson-Hogs

Pearson-Horvat-Motte

5m FA-Miller-Garland

FA/AHL-Lammiko-Highmore

So:

Boeser (frees up QO) = 7.5m

Dickenson = 2.75m

Total: 10.25m

Miller: 3m raise

Horvat: 2M raise

Motte: 1m raise

FA Winger: 5m

Total: 11m

• Upvote 1

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

So why trade Miller then; you've freed up enough cap by jettisoning Boeser and Dickenson.

Podz-Petterson-Hogs

Pearson-Horvat-Motte

5m FA-Miller-Garland

FA/AHL-Lammiko-Highmore

So:

Dickenson = 2.75m

just being conservative with my assumptions

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes they did - Brock and EP so far.  And QHs was equally as good under Green this season (actually a little more productive but who's counting)  as he is with Bruce.    Don't want to either - the point is why bash Green with pride - call him a loser and what not... wonder what folks will be saying about Bruce when he eventually comes out of favour too.    Our roster wasn't a good one with Green until Myers and Miller came in - then it was decent.     Not sure what some people expect.   This year yes Green dropped the ball - too focussed on the possession and shot reduction part of the game and won't get into the other things like jamming round pegs into square holes other then he for sure had to do that often enough for most of his tenure and maybe couldn't see past it.   Our PK, EP and Brock sunk Green.  A ton of close games.   Very few blowouts (was it two? Bruce has one as well).... anyways not the point - if you read my entire post i'm glad we have a new coach as well - but don't see any reason to keep picking on Travis Green either.    

I think if Green had found better assistants he'd still have a job, but it is what it is. I'm not doing a happy dance over it, its probably cost the guys a playoff run.

But otoh, they are set up for a spectacular comeback which would be awesome. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Podz-Petterson-Hogs

Pearson-Horvat-Motte

5m FA-Miller-Garland

FA/AHL-Lammiko-Highmore

So:

Dickenson = 2.75m

how did Tyler Motte suddenly become  a 2nd line winger?

27 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Im hoping Motte re-signs 

Hoagie EP Garland

Podz Horvat xxx/Motte

Pearson xxx xxx

Young, tenacious, skilled, big forward, sounds like J.T. Miller. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

you’re gonna get a top prospect for Miller.  Im hoping for Alex Newhook

We shouldn't be trading Miller for lottery tickets. I'd go for something like Carlo Debrusk Lysell and a first. 2 young established players a top prospect and top pick. 

25 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Fact team has to have a media hack says just about everything about the rest of the media... 

I do like reporting about illnesses, injuries transfer rumours requests etc., but speculation or down right fabrications with very little evidence more than the ordinary fan can make up is not good for anyone. 

I'm not against the team being held accountable though....

(and yes I do realise the papers need to write something :) )

So you see it as a 'chicken/egg' thing

It would eb great if Kenward told us about injuries etc, but I do not recall him every offering that kind of info.

since the start of last season, I do not recall any injury news

What I don’t understand is why JR seems so focused on trading forwards.

I like the mix of our forward group quite a bit. Sure we could us a bit more size and grit but that should be a fairly easy fix.

Where the vast majority of our problems have come from is our D. Now maybe that’s still a carry over from Green and Baumer, but it seems pretty obvious that when these guys are struggling it usually equals a loss. And their efforts have been quite inconsistent.

How many times have goals come from blind passes, weak turnovers, or just bad passes in general from the D? Pretty obvious you’re gonna struggle offensively when the puck is constantly being thrown at your skates or to nobody. 

There seems to be a lot of cap devoted to that D core too. Like can we not get another legit top 4 for the money we’re paying Hamonic and Poolman? I think Burroughs has shown he deserves a spot on the bottom pair. And even Juulsen looks promising. Add Rathbone to that list too. Should we not be looking to make some moves there?

24 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

depends on EP line having chemistry and constructing a much more productive/offensive third line.  

Also think Hoagie/Podz will continue to improve in small steps

the only forwards I really want to keep on this team are Miller, Petey, Podkolzin

the rest can all go as far as I am concerned

That is not to say I think they are all trach, far from it, but those 3 are the ones I'd like to see the team build around.

Petey's scoring streak ended with Podkolzin being moved off his line

19 hours ago, Jaimito said:

If VGK lose, they will have same record as Oils.  Nux need to string another streak together to get catch them. 

If we win 6 straight games, we're very close to the playoff line of those teams.

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

If we win 6 straight games, we're very close to the playoff line of those teams.

We play Vegas three times in ten days at the start of April. That will determine whether we can catch them or not. And ultimately have a chance at playoffs.

Its not necessarily how many in a row we win. More important to beat the teams we’re chasing and just keep pace in the meantime. Point being just keep chipping away.

Edited by DeNiro