The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Toronto Maple Leafs | Mar. 05, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I'm not sure what the Rangers are smoking but Schneider tops out as a top 4 D and is likely going to be a bottom pair D. They don't have the assets to get Miller unless Lafreniere or Fox is on the table. 

Yup.  For us to move Miller now the Rags would need to pay Laugher, Schneider, Krapsov, and their 2022 first.  And I think JR and PA still say no.  

2 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I'm not sure what the Rangers are smoking but Schneider tops out as a top 4 D and is likely going to be a bottom pair D we need a top D coming back if we're moving Miller at all. They don't have the assets to get Miller unless Lafreniere or Fox is on the table which i doubt.

Let's not go nuts.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  For us to move Miller now the Rags would need to pay Laugher, Schneider, Krapsov, and their 2022 first.  And I think JR and PA still say no.  

I've seen some pretty ugly offers from the Rags, I hope PA hangs up and blocks their number for offering that kind of garbage. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Ferlands_Head said:

I've seen some pretty ugly offers from the Rags, I hope PA hangs up and blocks their number for offering that kind of garbage. 

Moving Miller now would quite likely take the heart our of our room.  The price would need to be over the top for us to move Miller before summer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I think they're the ones that are nuts trying to offering guys like Chytil and Schneider who do they think they're trading for? Tanner Pearson? 

The only way they'd consider moving Fox is if McDavid was going the other way. Dude is foing to be the best Dman in the league for the next decade at least.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The only way they'd consider moving Fox is if McDavid was going the other way. Dude is foing to be the best Dman in the league for the next decade at least.

What do you think is the price we should take to move Miller right now?  Don't hide.  Come out with the Rags' cost as of today.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Moving Miller now would quite likely take the heart our of our room.  The price would need to be over the top for us to move Miller before summer.

Heart/soul of our room, throws hits and very versatile that's scoring at a 93 pt pace guys like this are usually never traded. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Wasn't suggesting that Fox was on the table. Rags don't have the assets to get JT unless he or Laf was involved which isn't happening. Not sure why so many think NY is a good destination when their best assets are Schneider and Chytil who combined wouldn't even be half the player Miller is. 

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What do you think is the price we should take to move Miller right now?  Don't hide.  Come out with the Rags' cost as of today.

Hijacking as the question was intended for another poster, but I personally believe the reported asking price of Laff/Kakko, Schneider and a 1st is the cost. Laff obviously has more value. For this to work I guess we'd be open to include Motte and Schenn and take something else back as well.

I don't think it's a very likely trade, but I do think it's where the price is at and if the Rangers really believe they have a shot this year it does make some sense.

Edited by J-P
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Heart/soul of our room, throws hits and very versatile that's scoring at a 93 pt pace guys like this are usually never traded. 

He's not a speed demon, who relies on his skating to be a top player.  There really is no reason Miller can't play at this level, or close to it, well into his 30's.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J-P said:

Hijacking as the question was intended for another poster, but I personally believe the reported asking price of Laff/Kakko, Schneider and a 1st is the cost. Laff obviously has more value. For this to work I guess we'd be open to include Motte and Schenn and take something else back as well.

I don't think it's a very likely trade, but I do think it's where the price is at and if the Rangers really believe they have a shot this year it does make some sense.

Considering how well our team is playing, and we are closing in on a playoff spot, would we even trade Miller?  I think JR and PA say no to even that offer.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Good point. I'm torn regarding trading Miller, but maybe it's resolving itself as he might me pricing himself out of reasonable trade offers.

I don't see JT being the  no 1 guy on this  team when we contend, but that's fine as that should be QH/EP/Demko anyway. Whether he wants to stay or not is of course an issue, but another one is that we have to clear cap to move forward. So if it's not JT at least one of Boeser, Horvat and Myers need to go. Would never have guessed  it before but right now a likely scenario would be Boeser traded at the deadline and Horvat this summer. This could change of course if Horvat finds his game again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering how well our team is playing, and we are closing in on a playoff spot, would we even trade Miller?  I think JR and PA say no to even that offer.  

Well, if that offer was on the table it's one of the times I'm glad they're making the decision and not me as it's a tough one. I get what you're saying and the risk would be huge but a trade like that also has the potential to move us from pretender to contender in a year or two. As well as we're playing now, we're still nowhere near being a contender with JT on the team and need both QH and EP to take the next step + fill out holes on the roster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-P said:

Good point. I'm torn regarding trading Miller, but maybe it's resolving itself as he might me pricing himself out of reasonable trade offers.

I don't see JT being the  no 1 guy on this  team when we contend, but that's fine as that should be QH/EP/Demko anyway. Whether he wants to stay or not is of course an issue, but another one is that we have to clear cap to move forward. So if it's not JT at least one of Boeser, Horvat and Myers need to go. Would never have guessed  it before but right now a likely scenario would be Boeser traded at the deadline and Horvat this summer. This could change of course if Horvat finds his game again.

Really like Bo.  But Miller is a 90 point center who does all the things Bo does, like win draws and play hard (heavy) minutes. 

Just now, J-P said:

Well, if that offer was on the table it's one of the times I'm glad they're making the decision and not me as it's a tough one. I get what you're saying and the risk would be huge but a trade like that also has the potential to move us from pretender to contender in a year or two. As well as we're playing now, we're still nowhere near being a contender with JT on the team and need both QH and EP to take the next step + fill out holes on the roster.

I like the Schnieder kid.  But Laugher or Crappo are big gambles is we are hoping one of them to get even close to Miller level.  

The return from Miller must include a young forward with Miller's current level as his ceiling.  I don't see that in Laugher or Crappo.  Although, when Miller was that age he was bouncing up and down to the AHL.  Maybe Laugher could be like Miller but I don't think he has Miller's skill (hands) or vision.  Maybe not as smart?

Enjoying the wins and the team playoff chances are improving with every points.  I wonder how the current roster, will do in a playoff series against a cup contender, in the east ?

The playoff push: will it cause JR to chase or instead focus on a longterm plan.   The patient approach, is the right current approach but it will be shortsighted, to not be a seller.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we win at least 5 of the 7 games in the upcoming home stand, I don't see us selling. I see us acquiring help on defence and maybe a cap out cap in trade to fill another position of need.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Enjoying the wins and the team playoff chances are improving with every points.  I wonder how the current roster, will do in a playoff series against a cup contender, in the east ?

The playoff push: will it cause JR to chase or instead focus on a longterm plan.   The patient approach, is the right current approach but it will be shortsighted, to not be a seller.

We can always sell in the offseason when we have more info. We won't get as much back for a player like Miller but it's better than making a mistake of trading a player too soon and miss out on what could have been something special.

For example, if this team not only makes the playoffs but pulls St. Louis 2019 or even reaches WCF? Then, the talk of retooling needs to change.

I think management needs to give this team a chance to make a playoff push and make decisions in the summer depending on the results.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Laugher could be like Miller but I don't think he has Miller's skill (hands) or vision.  Maybe not as smart?

Miller's last year in the OHL he had 25 goals 37 assists for 62 points in 61 games

Laugher's last year in the QMHL he had 35 goals and 77 assists for 112 points in 52 games

Millers first 2 seasons in the NHL he had 5 goals and 5 assists, for 10 points over 56 total games

Laugher had 9 goals and 12 assists in his first season, for 21 points over 56 games

Laughers got the better hands for goals, and a better assists ability.

I like Miller, but he is not as talented as Alex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1