The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Up - Boeser -- Re-Sign or Trade

Rate this topic

HKSR

How Much Will Boeser Get?  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, XxNaslundxX said:

How many spots up does trading Boeser get us is my main thought process now if we trade him in the summer

I think I would try to do something like this on draft day? 

Van - Boeser and Van 1st round pick (14th)

New Jersey - 5th Overall 

Not saying specifically jersey or 5th but just the idea of trading up to get in the 4-9 pick range

Yikes, I don't know what Boeser is worth but if that's all then that's kind of sad.  Boeser is basically equivalent to a 5th overall pick that panned out.  We need to give up him and a 14th overall pick for a 5th overall pick that might pan out...

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yikes, I don't know what Boeser is worth but if that's all then that's kind of sad.  Boeser is basically equivalent to a 5th overall pick that panned out.  We need to give up him and a 14th overall pick for a 5th overall pick that might pan out...

Would Jersey cough up, say the 5th for Boeser?

(Or another top drafter, theirs?)

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Would Jersey cough up, say the 5th for Boeser?

(Or another top drafter, theirs?)

I dunno, maybe Boeser and a 2nd rounder.  Like I said, I'm not necessarily saying Boeser is worth more on the open market...but I wouldn't trade him to move up 9 spots unless there was really no place for him on the team due to contract predictions etc.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I dunno, maybe Boeser and a 2nd rounder.  Like I said, I'm not necessarily saying Boeser is worth more on the open market...but I wouldn't trade him to move up 9 spots unless there was really no place for him on the team due to contract predictions etc.

I like the idea of moving up in the draft, and it may be a way to move some guys; if Boeser can't move his butt, there is no place for him on the team at anywhere near his QO, and imo at all.

If he will sign a lo ball deal with no clauses, I think he becomes tradeable, and wanted to know what you thought he might bring, straight across in terms of a draft pick.

We might be able to shuffle some lower picks higher, and then package up say a couple of 3rds and a 6th, a player like Boes, and pry a high pick out of someone, or move our pick up into top 5 country.

Brock was good against the Avs; but stunned again against Minny; so I wonder if he can keep it up; even so, he is still slow.

I'm thinking a 4 yr x $5m with no clauses; and then see what we can get for him.

Podz could replace him for cheap and save us a bunch of cap.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

If he will sign a lo ball deal with no clauses, I think he becomes tradeable, and wanted to know what you thought he might bring, straight across in terms of a draft pick.

I have a hard time making an intelligent guess as to his worth because of the moving parts involved in his contract and qualifying offer.  So it's kind of hard to peg his value and also what the Canucks will want to do with him.  Like I said...I'm not necessarily claiming that he will fetch more than moving up from 14th to 5th overall...but like I also said, that's kind of sad if a young player that has panned out quite well for a 5th overall can only bring back that return.

Anyway as to Boeser straight across for a draft pick...I would have to guess a 2nd rounder at the very very worst.  Maybe a 1st in a JT Miller kind of deal.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

No idea XXX, but I will once I look them up.

DAVID JIRICEK Player Facts
Date of Birth
Position
D
Height
6'3" / 191 cm
Place of Birth
Weight
190 lbs / 86 kg
Nation
Shoots
R
Youth Team
Contract
22/23
Agency
NHL Draft
Top Prospect eligible for the 2022 NHL Entry Draft

7 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

heck, if boesser alone is a top pick as you say

thats boesser and a 2nd for jericek and seamus casey. Wouldnt that be something

SEAMUS CASEY:

Player Facts
Date of Birth
Position
D
Height
5'10" / 178 cm
Place of Birth
Weight
161 lbs / 73 kg
Nation
USA
Shoots
R
Youth Team
-
Contract
-
NHL Draft
Top Prospect eligible for the 2022 NHL Entry Draft

13 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I have a hard time making an intelligent guess as to his worth because of the moving parts involved in his contract and qualifying offer.  So it's kind of hard to peg his value and also what the Canucks will want to do with him.  Like I said...I'm not necessarily claiming that he will fetch more than moving up from 14th to 5th overall...but like I also said, that's kind of sad if a young player that has panned out quite well for a 5th overall can only bring back that return.

Anyway as to Boeser straight across for a draft pick...I would have to guess a 2nd rounder at the very very worst.  Maybe a 1st in a JT Miller kind of deal.

Jiricek looks like a pretty high pick, RHD, size etc.

I think I might trade Brock for a pick like that (if I knew more about him, but something like that, yeah.)

• Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Not a chance in hell.  Youre overhyping one of the most overrated players in hockey.

I thought that was saved for high picks Juolevi and Virtanen?

Speaking of which what if the Boeser pick fails, that's 3 top pick fails that will set us back even further than we should be

Jake Guentzel is a 40 goal scorer, over a point per game player, and he is on a $6m contract. If we want to be a winning team, Boeser gets $4m - $5m MAX. To win, you have to maximize your cap space, not hand out over priced contracts to inconsistent players.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Xanlet said:

Jake Guentzel is a 40 goal scorer, over a point per game player, and he is on a $6m contract. If we want to be a winning team, Boeser gets $4m - $5m MAX. To win, you have to maximize your cap space, not hand out over priced contracts to inconsistent players.

Agreed.  Hes not even worth 4 mil.  

9 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I thought that was saved for high picks Juolevi and Virtanen?

Speaking of which what if the Boeser pick fails, that's 3 top pick fails that will set us back even further than we should be

Brock could never play one more game, and already has far exceeded his draft spot.   JV had he played this season - would have met the par bar ... possibly would have earlier without Covid.   People need to look into these things deeper.   A sixth overall - is 400 NHL games.   JV and OJ won't make it.    But Brock should never be included in with those guys.    He's a once in a decade sort of thing.    I think we need more threads about him actually - these things rarely age well on the CDC.   The Burrows thread of course but also Bieksa - was picked on a ton and look at those two now. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Agreed.  Hes not even worth 4 mil.  

Wow - I can't believe how low some CDCers value Boeser. He hasn't had a great year - to that there is no doubt - but 4m? This is the guy who scored at a .875% last season, and a .79% over his career. And you don't think he's even worth 4m? What should a 1st line player (And this IS a 1st line scoring pace) cost in your books?

As for Xanlet's contention regarding Guentzel's contract, a) He himself is a career .89% player which is just a smidge better than Brock mustered last year. b) He also signed two years ago, before we saw a lot of expensive contracts get handed out over the past year. c) Of players making 6m, he is an outlier with the highest ppg in the league. 

Since 6m seems to be the area *most* people are hovering, I took a look all forwards in the NHL making exactly 6m, and their career scoring %. No, it isn't a huge sample size but I'm at work and only have so much time.

Kyle Okposo: .62
Filip Forsberg: .82
Nikolaj Ehlers: .74
Jake Guentzel: .89
Milan Lucic: .52
Brock Nelson: .30
Taylor Hall: .87
Timo Meier: .67
Mats Zuccarello: .73
Loui Player Name:.59
Jordan Staal: .55

Avg: .73

One might say: Well, there are some damn horrible contracts in there. Lucic hasn't done much for a while, and LE has been awful. To which I would respond that these guys had quite good years at one point, and their contracts were based on those years. This is the world we live in, as we cannot predict for sure how a player will perform. It goes the other way as well, as players like Guentzel and Hall have outperformed their salary. 

My point being is that if the average ppg is .73, and we have no reason to believe Brock is going to nosedive off a cliff despite a mediocre season, then his value at 6m would be *better* than average. I would say if he wants to stay in Vancouver and doesn't want to play hardball to squeeze every cent he can, his proper salary would by around 6m.

4m is just ridiculous.

Edited by kloubek

I love how people are under selling Boeser.  He is a 20g 50pt player.  This is a down year for him.

But he should be making less than Garland who has never cracked over 40pts yet.  Yeah. Garland hustles but not much has come from it lately.

Edited by BPA

What was it?..his third season here when he bulked up in the summer?  That season was where I first started noticing how his speed just went down dramatically.  Listening to hockey "experts" discussing Boeser's lack of speed to start the season, I learned how when players do this, it usually takes awhile for them to adjust this new heavier frame on the ice.  

And he did show improvement again.  But he'd still have those slow nights occasionally  But occasionally has turned into a noticeable persistent lack of foot speed.  More than that, maybe because of that, it seems to affect a lot of other aspects of his game.  He is not strong on the puck, and most times loses puck battles along the board, or panics into giveaways.

Now a lot of that could be forgiven if his first season shot was back. A lot is forgiven of Miller because of what he does offensively.  Brett Hull basically was this kind of pure shooter, a bit slow, who wasn't great defensively but was lethal when in the right spot at the right time. The problem is I haven't seen this shot, at least consistently, for a couple seasons at least now.  Not to say he's still a valuable goal scorer, just not a 7.5 million dollar one. If he could be had for a home town price of 5 or 5.5 million as a 20-25 goal scorer, I'd be okay with that. But if not, I am starting to come around to trading Brock.  Just like we found Ottawa to take on Hamonic when no one thought we'd find a partner, I'm sure there is one team out there who will pay a good price for him. 

• Cheers 2