The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

49 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Why argue with her? My first thought would be "why are you telling me this?" If I'm speaking with someone, there is no need for these types of pronouns, you would naturally say you/your (i.e. you're looking well today).

So if she were to mention this, I would take that as a sign she may be controlling and/or have questionable priorities.

But, who do you think was posting nonsense there?

Was it Musk or Scott?

Coming with the receipts.

Jack Sweeney now claims/proves that the account "muskjet" was shadowbanned on order from twitter execs.  Not three weeks after Musk said he would do no such thing after claiming to be the champion of free speech

Since then, the account has apparently been reinstated without restrictions but info, emails and clocking prove that the account was in fact restricted for a time.

So much for Musk being about free speech

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-shadowban-elonjet-private-jet-twitter-1849882446

image.thumb.png.a6192c983e0facef0c48b9516afa0d72.png

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Wouldn't make a fuss about it to her face, nor would most people, not worth the conflict.

There's pushback due to how prevalent it is becoming. Having pronouns in email signatures and on name tags, etc. It's either irrelevant information or unnecessary as it wouldn't be used in direct conversation. Can also breed a narcissistic behaviour when people demand you to call them words that defy language/science. I.e. a person saying they are a cat.

I say this as someone who had a friend transition from male to female. She hasn't asked or told anyone about pronouns, it's inferred. Everyone in the friend group has been supportive the whole time. To me, this is a much more productive approach to creating respect and acceptance than being demanding of others and calling them hateful if they don't comply (even if by mistake).

Exactly my point, thank you for agreeing it’s not a big deal to say the pronouns someone asks you to use. I’m going to have to say that’s a straw man. Someone identified as a cat, which means all pronouns are too prevalent and over the top in society. Of course someone identifying as a cat is stupid, that doesn’t mean all pronouns are the same as that.

I’m glad you’re supportive of this person who transitioned, it’s a good thing, but it’s important to recognize not all transgendered people are the same. Some prefer different pronouns, others want to be called him/her, it’s up to that individual what they feel most comfortable with. If your friend doesn’t want you using different pronouns then that’s their choice and it should be respected.

Using they when that’s not their wish would be equally disrespectful as someone who wanted you to use they and you use him/her instead. Not every person has the same view. I could say that my transgendered friends prefer the pronoun they and I respect their wishes. Neither is the right way or wrong way, it’s whatever works best for the individual person who transitioned. That’s all that matters and all that’s being asked.

I’m pretty sure most transgendered people aren’t going to call you hateful if you mess up by accident their wanted pronouns to be used. I knew one of my friends as a girl for a very long time before they transitioned, it took me a bit of time to adjust, but whenever I messed up they just pointed it out to me, I apologized, corrected myself and eventually I became consistent with using it. Doing it on purpose however is another story and is worthy of calling someone hateful.

It’s about small gestures to be a better person and make someone feel they are worthy of respect and belonging. It’s not an enormous ask.

• Like 1

Just now, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Exactly my point, thank you for agreeing it’s not a big deal to say the pronouns someone asks you to use. I’m going to have to say that’s a straw man. Someone identified as a cat, which means all pronouns are too prevalent and over the top in society. Of course someone identifying as a cat is stupid, that doesn’t mean all pronouns are the same as that.

I’m glad you’re supportive of this person who transitioned, it’s a good thing, but it’s important to recognize not all transgendered people are the same. Some prefer different pronouns, others want to be called him/her, it’s up to that individual what they feel most comfortable with. If your friend doesn’t want you using different pronouns then that’s their choice and it should be respected.

Using they when that’s not their wish would be equally disrespectful as someone who wanted you to use they and you use him/her instead. Not every person has the same view. I could say that my transgendered friends prefer the pronoun they and I respect their wishes. Neither is the right way or wrong way, it’s whatever works best for the individual person who transitioned. That’s all that matters and all that’s being asked.

I’m pretty sure most transgendered people aren’t going to call you hateful if you mess up by accident their wanted pronouns to be used. I knew one of my friends as a girl for a very long time before they transitioned, it took me a bit of time to adjust, but whenever I messed up they just pointed it out to me, I apologized, corrected myself and eventually I became consistent with using it. Doing it on purpose however is another story and is worthy of calling someone hateful.

It’s about small gestures to be a better person and make someone feel they are worthy of respect and belonging. It’s not an enormous ask.

Doesn’t seem like a lot to ask. If I call someone by the wrong pronoun I would apologize and ask which they preferred and after that I would do my best to use that pronoun. Easy enough to show a person respect and costs nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

They also don't like the large numbers of shares Elon has been and will be selling to fund his Twitter purchase. 

That, and his competition is releasing EV models like crazy.  Ford and now Chevy have trucks.  Tesla has empty promises of a monstrosity.  

Yeah Tesla definitely started the EV revolution, but everyone else has caught up and in some cases surpassed him in the growing market. Not many people want to pay $50-$100k plus for a car when there’s Chevy’s and Ford’s and a whole bunch of other options that continues expanding every year for less then $30k.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But, who do you think was posting nonsense there?

Was it Musk or Scott?

He's going with the guy who wants to go to Mars, over the guy who has actually been to space 4 times and spent an entire year on the ISS.

BTW: If anyone is wondering why Scott Kelly looks so much like fellow astronaut (and US Senator from Arizona) Mark Kelly, it's because they're twin brothers....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I thought I made that pretty clear...

Musk made it pretty clear with the unhinged conspiracy theories.  Not sure how anyone can be defend this Nazi at this stage; he's clearly beyond redemption and has absolutely nothing to offer the world.

Edited by King Heffy

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

He's going with the guy who wants to go to Mars, over the guy who has actually been to space 4 times and spent an entire year on the ISS.

BTW: If anyone is wondering why Scott Kelly looks so much like fellow astronaut (and US Senator from Arizona) Mark Kelly, it's because they're twin brothers....

I just want to know.  Kind of just wanting to figure out if the person who posted it thinks the accredited individual asking for basic respect for the lgbtq community and suggesting that the dr in question is in fact a certified medical professional is being nonsensical for those simple statements.

or

If they think the guy who is posting against the lgbtq community with that simple statement and pushing a known and false narrative created against said medical professional is being nonsensical.

Kind of just want to know what type of person that individual really is.  Because on one hand, they'd be literally accepting the vilification and refusal of basic respect to people based on orientation for possibly the simplest of requests.  On the other hand, they'd be supporting the refusal of that respect while also pushing a known lie against a medical professional.

So essentially I am just wanting to know what type of person said individual really is.  Like there's low, then there's...you know.  Low

• Cheers 2

Just now, Warhippy said:

I just want to know.  Kind of just wanting to figure out if the person who posted it thinks the accredited individual asking for basic respect for the lgbtq community and suggesting that the dr in question is in fact a certified medical professional is being nonsensical for those simple statements.

or

If they think the guy who is posting against the lgbtq community with that simple statement and pushing a known and false narrative created against said medical professional is being nonsensical.

Kind of just want to know what type of person that individual really is.  Because on one hand, they'd be literally accepting the vilification and refusal of basic respect to people based on orientation for possibly the simplest of requests.  On the other hand, they'd be supporting the refusal of that respect while also pushing a known lie against a medical professional.

So essentially I am just wanting to know what type of person said individual really is.  Like there's low, then there's...you know.  Low

Yeah, I hear you.

I've always referred to that as "Barry White" low.....

• Vintage 1

Also gotta say the guy who is constantly attacking the left is making a rather odd decision considering most of his target market is the environmentalists and liberals who want to buy an EV car that also helps the planet. He could choose not to comment and to actually spend his time trying to run Twitter better behind the scenes instead of tweeting publicly, but instead wants to alienate his main market for selling his cars to from his other business, which is now tanking because of it. It’s cutting his nose off to spite his face.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

It's not a big deal when it follows our rules of language. They refers to multiple people, so demanding others to call a singular person 'they' can rub some people the wrong way. Are you familiar with xenopronouns?

I have no problem calling a man who became a woman as her/she. Or vice versa. That's common decency and being respectful.

Respect is a two way street though. People need to also respect science and the rules of language. I used the cat example as an extreme, but we're seeing it happen. Some schools are adding litter boxes to their bathrooms, for the kids that identify as cats. How do you feel about this?

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

It's not a big deal when it follows our rules of language. They refers to multiple people, so demanding others to call a singular person 'they' can rub some people the wrong way. Are you familiar with xenopronouns?

I have no problem calling a man who became a woman as her/she. Or vice versa. That's common decency and being respectful.

Respect is a two way street though. People need to also respect science and the rules of language. I used the cat example as an extreme, but we're seeing it happen. Some schools are adding litter boxes to their bathrooms, for the kids that identify as cats. How do you feel about this?

Using words that don’t match up to English language rules such as:

I before e, except after c
Or when sounded as 'a' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'
Unless the 'c' is part of a 'sh' sound as in 'glacier'
Or it appears in comparatives and superlatives like 'fancier'
And also except when the vowels are sounded as 'e' as in 'seize' 
Or 'i' as in 'height' 
Or also in '-ing' inflections ending in '-e' as in 'cueing'
Or in compound words as in 'albeit' 
Or occasionally in technical words with strong etymological links to their parent languages as in 'cuneiform'
Or in other numerous and random exceptions such as 'science', 'forfeit', and 'weird.'

Yeah, the language is bizarre already. What’s one more thing to add to it?

Oh god not this debunked argument again. Ok, if that actually happened then yes, I’d be right alongside you in going WTF? However it isn’t true. It took me two seconds to google this, maybe it would be better to check the veracity of something before posting it? I’d be careful about falling for right wing propaganda, which happens a lot it seems. Joe Rogan and the Nebraska lawmaker have already admitted it was a lie. I can get you more links if you don’t believe any of these outlets.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna51439

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-14-day-6/clip/15944017-how-hoax-cat-litter-schools-became-republican-talking

https://apnews.com/article/nebraska-lincoln-316c87249779706d6d78b58641c4a75e

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-furries-rogan-litterbox-idUSL1N31J1KT

https://amp.theguardian.com/culture/2022/nov/04/joe-rogan-school-litter-boxes-kids-furries-gender

https://nypost.com/2022/11/03/joe-rogan-finally-admits-that-school-furry-litter-box-hoax-was-a-lie/amp/

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Please tell me you don't actually believe this......it's not only a bogus story, it's moronic bogus story.....:picard:

• Vintage 3
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Some schools are adding litter boxes to their bathrooms, for the kids that identify as cats. How do you feel about this?

How an urban myth about litter boxes in schools became a GOP talking point

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/misinformation/urban-myth-litter-boxes-schools-became-gop-talking-point-rcna51439

https://www.9news.com/article/news/education/jeffco-schools-have-emergency-buckets-where-people-can-pee-during-lockdowns/73-481198424

[t]he district — where Columbine High School is located — has been stocking classrooms with small amounts of cat litter since 2017, but as part of ‘go buckets’ that contain emergency supplies in case students are locked in a classroom during a shooting.

The fact you fall for something that stupid should make you really reassess using the handle "Master Mind".

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

21 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Using words that don’t match up to English language rules such as:

Yeah, the language is bizarre already. What’s one more thing to add to it?

Oh god not this debunked argument again. Ok, if that actually happened then yes, I’d be right alongside you in going WTF? However it isn’t true. It took me two seconds to google this, maybe it would be better to check the veracity of something before posting it? I’d be careful about falling for right wing propaganda, which happens a lot it seems. Joe Rogan and the Nebraska lawmaker have already admitted it was a lie. I can get you more links if you don’t believe any of these outlets.

The first part is a very weak argument. So because there are flaws in our language, we might as well add more? That's not based in logic whatsoever.

I didn't hear of the litter boxes from any news or online source. My custodian friend told me about it, and showed me the email from the school board to verify. Maybe it's a myth elsewhere, but it's still a possibility in Ontario.

My point though is that there are people who claim to be something they're not. I don't see how it's helpful to enable behaviour that encourages people to demand others to bend reality to their liking. We should be respectful for sure, but there are limits in accommodation.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Coming with the receipts.

Jack Sweeney now claims/proves that the account "muskjet" was shadowbanned on order from twitter execs.  Not three weeks after Musk said he would do no such thing after claiming to be the champion of free speech

Since then, the account has apparently been reinstated without restrictions but info, emails and clocking prove that the account was in fact restricted for a time.

So much for Musk being about free speech

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-shadowban-elonjet-private-jet-twitter-1849882446

image.thumb.png.a6192c983e0facef0c48b9516afa0d72.png

It wasn't too long ago people denied the possibility that shadow bans existed.

But now if Musk is doing it, people believe it. That's awfully convenient...