The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

He's the new darling of the Right in his fight against 'wokeness' whatever that is. What he's failed to account for is most of his customer base is granola munching eco leftists. Who have many options when it comes to EV's.

It might be more to it than what we see.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/jack-dorsey-twitter-files-signal-1234647082/

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Not sure I follow.

Dorsey complains about an activist group taking over twitter. Sorry if it's not in the link I provided. 

And when they just sell out to Musk it doesn't look like an activist group but a group out on a sting operation to get as much money as they can. 

If I were a journalist I would search for connections between all involved. 

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Dorsey complains about an activist group taking over twitter. Sorry if it's not in the link I provided. 

And when they just sell out to Musk it doesn't look like an activist group but a group out on a sting operation to get as much money as they can. 

If I were a journalist I would search for connections between all involved.

The activist group was Elliot Management. They wanted to oust Dorsey due to his being CEO of 2 public companies at the same time. The other company being Square. Obviously Dorsey made some concessions and survived.

I don't know, if someone offered me $44 billion bucks for something I knew was maybe worth half of that I'd sell it as fast as I could too. They knew they had a live one on the line in Musk and worked fast to complete a deal. It didn't hurt that Musk instructed his lawyers to make the deal seller friendly which is unheard of.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

He's the new darling of the Right in his fight against 'wokeness' whatever that is. What he's failed to account for is most of his customer base is granola munching eco leftists. Who have many options when it comes to EV's.

One of the biggest opponents of “woke”, the  Governor of Florida, who actually passed something called the Stop Woke Act is in a trial right now after firing a duly elected attorney who refused to prosecute those who provided or sought an abortion. DeSantis lawyers actually had to define what woke meant in the lawsuit. It’s only the latest iteration in the culture wars like crt theory, caravans, Hunter biden and more that they like to use to rile their base. This is what the right wing, Musk and his supporters are so angry about.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/what-does-woke-mean-gov-desantis-officials-answer-during-andrew-warren-trial.amp

During the trial, Warren’s attorney, Jean-Jacques Cabou, asked those within DeSantis’ administration for their personal definition of ‘woke,” a term that DeSantis has used to disparage Warren in the past.

DeSantis’ general counsel, Ryan Newman, responded that the term means “the belief there are systemic injustices in society and the need to address them.”

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

He tweeted he is, but we'll have to see if he'll actually follow through.   What a man baby. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63978323

Elon Musk taking legal action over Twitter account that tracks his private jet

Reminds me of all those 'first amendment" audit vids from down stateside.

cops get all bothered by a dude taking pictures, and harass or arrest the dude.

dude sues and wins; because taking pictures is  perfectly legal and protected under their constitution.

Doesn't stop the idiot cops from doing the same thing again though.

City pays the court ordered fine, cop just keeps on being stupid.

Elon's attempt here should be covered by anti slapp legislation.

• Vintage 1

Here's your champion of free speech.............

Twitter Suspends Reporters From WashPost, NYT, Others Who Wrote About Elon Musk

One reporter said he had "no idea" why he was booted from the platform.

Twitter suddenly suspended a host of the nation’s preeminent tech journalists on Thursday, many of whom have reported about billionaire Elon Musk’s chaotic leadership at the social media giant in recent weeks.

The accounts for The New York Times’ Ryan Mac, The Washington Post’s Drew Harwell, CNN’s Donie O’Sullivan, Mashable’s Matt Binder and independent journalist Aaron Rupar all disappeared Thursday evening, as did several others. All of those reporters have reported deeply about Musk’s $44 billion takeover of Twitter, the fallout after he laid off half of its employees and the company’s decision to ban, then un-ban, then re-ban an account that tracked Musk’s private plane flights.

Aaron Rupar told NBC’s Ben Collins he had “no idea” why the suspension happened.

A message on the accounts simply says they have been suspended for violating Twitter’s rules.

Twitter has already been drastically reshaped since Musk formally took ownership of the company in October. He has disbanded teams that address hate speech and civil rights abuses and demanded that the company update policies on the fly to target accounts and critics that irk him.

The New York Times reported this week that Musk and his advisers have been looking at stiffing former employees of severance pay in an effort to cut costs. Twitter also hasn’t paid rent for its San Francisco headquarters, or for many of its other global offices, in weeks, hoping to renegotiate lease terms.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Twitter suddenly suspended a host of the nation’s preeminent tech journalists on Thursday, many of whom have reported about billionaire Elon Musk’s chaotic leadership at the social media giant in recent weeks.

The accounts for The New York Times’ Ryan Mac, The Washington Post’s Drew Harwell, CNN’s Donie O’Sullivan, Mashable’s Matt Binder and independent journalist Aaron Rupar all disappeared Thursday evening, as did several others. All of those reporters have reported deeply about Musk’s $44 billion takeover of Twitter, the fallout after he laid off half of its employees and the company’s decision to ban, then un-ban, then re-ban an account that tracked Musk’s private plane flights.

Aaron Rupar told NBC’s Ben Collins he had “no idea” why the suspension happened.

A message on the accounts simply says they have been suspended for violating Twitter’s rules.

Twitter has already been drastically reshaped since Musk formally took ownership of the company in October. He has disbanded teams that address hate speech and civil rights abuses and demanded that the company update policies on the fly to target accounts and critics that irk him.

The New York Times reported this week that Musk and his advisers have been looking at stiffing former employees of severance pay in an effort to cut costs. Twitter also hasn’t paid rent for its San Francisco headquarters, or for many of its other global offices, in weeks, hoping to renegotiate lease terms.

His CDC defenders will be silent on this, no doubt.

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I encourage people to follow the full conversation on Twitter link. Quite a few more journalists accounts have been suspended.

Edited by 4petesake
  • Vintage 1