The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Signing Miller and Horvat this summer.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller for sure should be gone.  Petey, Bo, and a young centre we get in the Miller deal will take the team forward.  Bess is lived by the Bruins.  Straight across deal for Carlo.  Garland we keep?  

Yes yes trade Miller the young prospects we will get back will set up the future runs.....Young RD man under 23, top 9 prospect under 24, draft picks..The NYR and LA Kings have lots of prospects...

Example - LA---Faber RD,  6'1, 20 --- Valardi 22, 6'3 -C-- Grans, D man , 6'3, 20 --- 1st rounder-- 3rd rounder 2024

Miler -- 3rd---2023

NYR-- Lundqvist, RD, 5'11--21,  Chytil,6'3, 23, C---Robertson 20, 6'4 LD -- Kravtsov, 22, 6'3-LW ---NYR don't have high picks so added Kravtsov

We Need to trade Miller as the return of prospect will be great and we DOn't want to sign a 30 yr old next summer to a 6 year X 8.2 million dollar contract..

We are not ready to compete with Colorado, Calgary, Minnesoda, Oilers,  Blues... We want to have decent gap room to make more great deals..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J-23 said:

We don’t need a young Center imo. Either an elite young winger/prospect to play with Petey or a solid young right handed defencemen. 

Who plays centre when Miller is traded?  Do we have a young centre in the system?  

17 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I can't think of a contending team that would have the cap space or need to sign JT with a

contract like that.

Maybe that's why he's till a Canuck.

why wouldn't contending team have the cap space to sign miller?? boston if they decide to keep kicking the can can easily sign miller pending on what bergeron decides to do or maybe if he decides to take a lowcap contract to make 1 last run. pittsburgh depending on what direction they go also will have plenty of cap space going into free agency.. with the unknown status of malkin next year.. and zucker coming off the book the year after. basically a lot of the team that were rumored to be in the miller trade at some point have the capability to sign him if he decides to make it to ufa. heck even carolina would be in line to go for it if they decides to.. with staal and gardiner coming of the book.. miller would be a nice upgrade over a 35 year old staal.. there are a lot more contending team that can make a play for miller and in a far better cap situation than the canucks current cap structure.

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

why wouldn't contending team have the cap space to sign miller?? boston if they decide to keep kicking the can can easily sign miller pending on what bergeron decides to do or maybe if he decides to take a lowcap contract to make 1 last run. pittsburgh depending on what direction they go also will have plenty of cap space going into free agency.. with the unknown status of malkin next year.. and zucker coming off the book the year after. basically a lot of the team that were rumored to be in the miller trade at some point have the capability to sign him if he decides to make it to ufa. heck even carolina would be in line to go for it if they decides to.. with staal and gardiner coming of the book.. miller would be a nice upgrade over a 35 year old staal.. there are a lot more contending team that can make a play for miller and in a far better cap situation than the canucks current cap structure.

Don’t those teams have internal caps set already by top guys on their clubs?  Is JT going to get over 7 per (even at 7 years) from any of them?  I could see him getting 7 x 6 from one of those clubs, but not much more. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don’t those teams have internal caps set already by top guys on their clubs?  Is JT going to get over 7 per (even at 7 years) from any of them?  I could see him getting 7 x 6 from one of those clubs, but not much more. 

nothing wrong with miller matching Aho in terms of cap as he's currently out producing him. why wouldn't penguin be able to offer 8+? malkin makes 9.5 crosby makes 8.7 signing miller would still be less than those "top" players even though they are more at their tail end. as long as they still have crosby i doubt they are going to rebuild.. and if you are miller.. if carolina comes along and offer you 7.5-8mil.. wouldn't that be a lot more enticing than whatever vancouver offers him? contender.. lower tax.. us city.. much friendlier travel

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

nothing wrong with miller matching Aho in terms of cap as he's currently out producing him. why wouldn't penguin be able to offer 8+? malkin makes 9.5 crosby makes 8.7 signing miller would still be less than those "top" players even though they are more at their tail end. as long as they still have crosby i doubt they are going to rebuild.. and if you are miller.. if carolina comes along and offer you 7.5-8mil.. wouldn't that be a lot more enticing than whatever vancouver offers him? contender.. lower tax.. us city.. much friendlier travel

Those teams can’t talk to Miller until July 2023, when Miller is already 30.  He will get an offer of 50 mil.  

Right now we stuck ourselves into a corner for trading him.  He’s a one year (one playoff) rental.  Hopefully we can find a club (any club) that’s will to take him as a core piece.  I’m just not seeing it though.  

11 minutes ago, J-23 said:

What’s wrong with Petey and Bo running the 1C and 2C?

Petey and Bo as our 1-2 centres is great, but who lays 3 C?  Would be nice to have a younger guy in that role, no?  Maybe the Miller trade can fill that?  

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Those teams can’t talk to Miller until July 2023, when Miller is already 30.  He will get an offer of 50 mil.  

Right now we stuck ourselves into a corner for trading him.  He’s a one year (one playoff) rental.  Hopefully we can find a club (any club) that’s will to take him as a core piece.  I’m just not seeing it though.  

History have shown teams willing to pay max terms on big money contracts to players in their 29-30s.. so why would all of a sudden Miller will get 3/4 of that? You are fantasizing no one will offer Miller the 7 years 8+mil just to fit your narrative Miller will sign for 8years at 60 or less.. so if no teams would pay Miller 50 in ufa... why in the world would canucks pay him 10mil more than what any team would offer him?? 

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

History have shown teams willing to pay max terms on big money contracts to players in their 29-30s.. so why would all of a sudden Miller will get 3/4 of that? You are fantasizing no one will offer Miller the 7 years 8+mil just to fit your narrative Miller will sign for 8years at 60 or less.. so if no teams would pay Miller 50 in ufa... why in the world would canucks pay him 10mil more than what any team would offer him?? 

I think our owner is pushing to return-sign Miller.  But our management knows that if we do re-sign Miller it needs to be a shorter term and not more than what Hughes is paid.  So likely 7.75 x five or six years.  

Im hoping management gets their way (and not the owner) and we do trade Miller though.  In that case I see Miller’s value as a on3 year rental to a good team.  I just don’t see any team (hope I’m wrong) trading for Miller as a core piece and paying him a Zib contract.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think our owner is pushing to return-sign Miller.  But our management knows that if we do re-sign Miller it needs to be a shorter term and not more than what Hughes is paid.  So likely 7.75 x five or six years.  

Im hoping management gets their way (and not the owner) and we do trade Miller though.  In that case I see Miller’s value as a on3 year rental to a good team.  I just don’t see any team (hope I’m wrong) trading for Miller as a core piece and paying him a Zib contract.  

miller will just middle finger the canucks if he's offered a 5/6year contract and at or less than hughes.. it doesn't even matter what FA wants if he's only offering a 5/6 year contract that he can literally get from any other team in the league.. any team trading for Miller would definitely be using him as a 1 year rental.. and then whoever's still in their contending window with the opportunity to upgrade would gladly sign him to something similar to zib minus 1 year since he can only sign for 7.. dunno why people think it's ok team signed zib at 8 years 8.5 at 29.. but miller signing 7 years at 8.5 is impossible coz they both end at 37 when the contract is over.

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

We should be extending Bo (6.5 x 6) and trading Miller.  Depends on if our owner will allow trading Miller though.  

Absolutely, as good as Miller has been the return this team can get for him should set them up to get to the next level in a couple of years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Absolutely, as good as Miller has been the return this team can get for him should set them up to get to the next level in a couple of years.

Not sure why people are so confident in this idea. It didn't happen this TDL when we were supposed to be getting 3 or 4 pieces for Miller. Why would it happen this offseason?

There are more factors against this than for it imo. Not only do teams have to give us a massive haul in de-risked prospects or young RFAs, but they also have to be willing to pay Miller a huge contract.

Why wouldn't they just wait until he was a UFA in a year at this point? 

Edited by JM_
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Who plays centre when Miller is traded?  Do we have a young centre in the system?  

No we don't have and good young prospects at centre. We do have Jasek 23, 6'1 and Karlsson 22, 6'1 but these guys are not  high on depth chart..

We need RD prospect that can play top 4 under 24 years old and centre prospects..Thats why Miller trade is so important..

We don't want Miller 30 next summer and a 6 year X 8.2 million Dollar contract..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

No we don't have and good young prospects at centre. We do have Jasek 23, 6'1 and Karlsson 22, 6'1 but these guys are not  high on depth chart..

We need RD prospect that can play top 4 under 24 years old and centre prospects..Thats why Miller trade is so important..

We don't want Miller 30 next summer and a 6 year X 8.2 million Dollar contract..

We don’t.  And I think management don’t.  But our owner sure might.  

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

what if no one is offering us a C a-level prospect for Miller? 

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Wasn’t the pre TDL rumoured offer from the Rags Chytil, Lundqvist, and a pick? 

You’re likely right though.  That kind of offer was for Miller over two playoffs.  Will be a lot less now. 

Edited by Alflives

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I really do Alvin and new management group will make the trade for the young RD man under 24 that can play 19 mins next year....

I really think Patrick Alvin will address the cap issue and make the Miller and Boeser trade this off season..

We will have more prospects under 23 and a brighter future with cap flexibility ..

4 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I really do Alvin and new management group will make the trade for the young RD man under 24 that can play 19 mins next year....

I really think Patrick Alvin will address the cap issue and make the Miller and Boeser trade this off season..

We will have more prospects under 23 and a brighter future with cap flexibility ..

I think, if our owner keeps his nose out of it, we trade Miller and Garland.  They have the most value.  Boeser we sign to an extension.  6 x 3 or something close to that.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Wasn’t the pre TDL rumoured offer from the Rags Chytil, Lundqvist, and a pick? 

we were saying that :lol: 

If a 1st, Schneider and Chytil were offered it would have been done. 

• Cheers 1