The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Apr. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya, Dickinson was awful. I don’t get how someone who is 6’2” and doesn’t hit. Pettersson who is the same height and weighs way less hits way more. You can’t float around at that height and weight. It makes no sense why he doesn’t play physical. He needs to go. A waste of money.

Do Canucks have a Dickenson playing for them? 

Seriously he needs to be gone along with Meyers. 

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Ouch. The boys got outclassed tonight. 

Proud of their effort. These types of games are a good measuring stick for us. I'm sure the executive team already had an idea of what the team needs and tonight would probably confirm that. 

Yeah, they need their captain and his LWer playing. One must remember the team is still missing 2 top 6 players and a 2/3 liner in Hogs. And for those that chastise Myers; he’s a good 2nd pairing guy….really good. It’s not his fault JB gave him 6m.

Canucks biggest issue is JB’s 2022 bandaids; Dickenson and poolman are terrible and eat 5.2m for FA in production. Getting rid of Antivax at TDL was good move…..now need to take out the trash again with those two.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Yeah, they need their captain and his LWer playing. One must remember the team is still missing 2 top 6 players and a 2/3 liner in Hogs. And for those that chastise Myers; he’s a good 2nd pairing guy….really good. It’s not his fault JB gave him 6m.

Canucks biggest issue is JB’s 2022 bandaids; Dickenson and poolman are terrible and eat 5.2m for FA in production. Getting rid of Antivax at TDL was good move…..now need to take out the trash again with those two.

Wild were also missing some key players like Foligno. Obviously Horvat is more important to us than Foligno with the wild but their depth and deadline acquisition really impressed me. 

9 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

While getting rid of those two guys (especially if we get back picks and no salary) opens many doors (including the possibility of re-signing Miller), we have absolutely no young depth in our Abbotsford system.  It would be ideal to just promote some players onto the main squad, but the only way to replace Dickinson and Poolman is to... jump back into the free agent market.

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

The best part of the season, together with the continued improvements by Demko and QH, for me at least, was to see Petey still knows hockey. 
30+ goals, at the end of the season, makes me go into the summer feeling good about the future of this hockey team. 

We have the foundation of a good hockey team here, but next season we need to come out of the traps flying. 

Who knows, what changes will be made, but the building blocks are there. 

We have young stars in every position. 

We just need to build from there. 

Today might make some think twice about a long term contract for Millsy. It won't age well.  I don't know if he was trying to do too much or what but there were some poor decisions with the puck and many turnovers. Podz reminds me that he is still young. He got neutralized as the games got more physical. Well need to gain some strength to feel comfortable battling the stronger players in the league

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Way too much overreaction to this loss. 

Have the rest of you missed the fact that Wild have been one of the best teams in the league, especially at home? 

How the heck did Minnesota become so good all of a sudden? 

Sure they were gifted with Kaprizov but that whole team plays great team game with structured defence.

The boys gave all they had to try to win this one. Wilds were just better than us.

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The best part of the season, together with the continued improvements by Demko and QH, for me at least, was to see Petey still knows hockey. 
30+ goals, at the end of the season, makes me go into the summer feeling good about the future of this hockey team. 

We have the foundation of a good hockey team here, but next season we need to come out of the traps flying. 

Who knows, what changes will be made, but the building blocks are there. 

That foundation simply isn't good enough without J.T. Miller.  Either he gets re-signed... or we have to trade him away.  The worst thing that can happen is if we let him walk.  Maybe a lateral trade for someone slightly younger?  Would Dallas be crazy enough to give up Hintz?  Maybe a lesser player like Stephenson from Vegas?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Today might make some think twice about a long term contract for Millsy. It won't age well.  I don't know if he was trying to do too much or what but there were some poor decisions with the puck and many turnovers. Podz reminds me that he is still young. He got neutralized as the games got more physical. Well need to gain some strength to feel comfortable battling the stronger players in the league

Here's the conundrum with Miller.

Keep him and we are a playoff team. He is a great player who will out compete most players in the NHL.

But we aren't winning the cup if he is our best player. He doesn't compare well against the best players on the best teams.

I think keeping Miller is all good but we need Petey to become the primary option and the best player on the team to go anywhere.

When that happens, Miller at 9+ mil is going to stop the team from reaching the next level.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Can't disagree with any of this... Miller tried a lot of risky plays and they didn't come off... Miller has been a revelation for big parts of this season, and without him the season had been done weeks, if not months, ago. 
But I think you are right, I don't think it will look good in say 3-4years, and I fear, it will be the root of massive arguments over his last 3 years at the club. 
I don't want to see Miller dragged through the mud, like the Sedins to some extend, were...

If we had made the playoff, Miller would have been MVP for keeping us afloat for several months, where everything else was falling apart. We didn't... I'm not sure he'll be traded this summer, but if we make a run for it next year, I can see us lose him for nothing, as they won't trade him at TDL, if we're in a good position, so for me he either gets dealt during the summer, or gets signed to a team friend contract. 
Can I just add, that he was the one forward, who actually fought fire with fire against Wild. Good solid cross checkings in the third, when Wild ramped up the physicality. 

Podz is still only 20 and has ways to go. He has come a long way from the start of the season, and seeing him continue the journey next season already fills me with excitement. 
But man oh man, would I love to have a knuckle dragger not named Shenn in our line up... Size and speed is a must during the summer, so we can be the ones that hammers this opposition. 

This together with D up grade must be Allvin biggest job during the summer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Can't disagree with any of this... Miller tried a lot of risky plays and they didn't come off... Miller has been a revelation for big parts of this season, and without him the season had been done weeks, if not months, ago. 
But I think you are right, I don't think it will look good in say 3-4years, and I fear, it will be the root of massive arguments over his last 3 years at the club. 
I don't want to see Miller dragged through the mud, like the Sedins to some extend, were...

If we had made the playoff, Miller would have been MVP for keeping us afloat for several months, where everything else was falling apart. We didn't... I'm not sure he'll be traded this summer, but if we make a run for it next year, I can see us lose him for nothing, as they won't trade him at TDL, if we're in a good position, so for me he either gets dealt during the summer, or gets signed to a team friend contract. 
Can I just add, that he was the one forward, who actually fought fire with fire against Wild. Good solid cross checkings in the third, when Wild ramped up the physicality. 

Podz is still only 20 and has ways to go. He has come a long way from the start of the season, and seeing him continue the journey next season already fills me with excitement. 
But man oh man, would I love to have a knuckle dragger not named Shenn in our line up... Size and speed is a must during the summer, so we can be the ones that hammers this opposition. 

This together with D up grade must be Allvin biggest job during the summer. 

The Wild are a brutally physical and fast team. 

They’ve built a good team. Guerin’s done a good job there. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

That foundation simply isn't good enough without J.T. Miller.  Either he gets re-signed... or we have to trade him away.  The worst thing that can happen is if we let him walk.  Maybe a lateral trade for someone slightly younger?  Would Dallas be crazy enough to give up Hintz?  Maybe a lesser player like Stephenson from Vegas?

Yes Miller is bank check that needs to be cashed in or used.... can't just let it expire...
It would be suicide to just let it run out regardless of how much we need him. 
So yes signed to a friendly deal (either length wise or $ wise) or traded....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

Here's the conundrum with Miller.

Keep him and we are a playoff team. He is a great player who will out compete most players in the NHL.

But we aren't winning the cup if he is our best player. He doesn't compare well against the best players on the best teams.

I think keeping Miller is all good but we need Petey to become the primary option and the best player on the team to go anywhere.

When that happens, Miller at 9+ mil is going to stop the team from reaching the next level.

Petey is going to overtake Miller in terms of offensive prowess eventually, I think. 

He’s already lights years ahead offensively at the same age, aren’t they? Miller hasn’t really come to his own until maybe this year? What kind of player is Petey going to be at the same age?