The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Apr. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

That foundation simply isn't good enough without J.T. Miller.  Either he gets re-signed... or we have to trade him away.  The worst thing that can happen is if we let him walk.  Maybe a lateral trade for someone slightly younger?  Would Dallas be crazy enough to give up Hintz?  Maybe a lesser player like Stephenson from Vegas?

I think he’s going to be traded this off-season. I would not the least bit surprised if he doesn’t come back. The team’s just going to have a new point producer next season. But I don’t think it’ll be Miller. My gut keeps telling me that he ain’t going to take a discount to play on this team in Canada, when he can be paid quite handsomely back in the States and be back ‘home’. 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Yep. Would like to see a team like that here. 

Isn’t Guerin a first time GM too? 

Just like Benning. Except one was patient enough to build properly, and the other, well, we all know that story. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

The first scenario is not that far fetched really in terms of Dallas and Vegas.

Vancouver winning their final four might be the biggest long shot at this point though. We’ll see what tonight’s loss did to the teams belief.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Also, the Stars remaining opponents are teams that are currently below than them in the standings. Similar to the Kings, they now have an easier schedule after losing to both Alberta teams.

So I guess we ain’t making the playoffs eh? 

To the off-season! 

The Simpsons Fire GIF

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The first scenario is not that far fetched really in terms of Dallas and Vegas.

Vancouver winning their final four might be the biggest long shot at this point though. We’ll see what tonight’s loss did to the teams belief.

Yeah. I’ll be interested to see what it does to the morale of the team. How they play on Saturday will really dictate what they believe about their playoff chances. They lose that one against Calgary, and they are literally done for the year. 

Tough loss, but overall no doubt this team has done much better under Bruce. 

Peaty was excellent again. I love seeing him back and being our best player. 

Garland was also solid tonight. Doesn't always win the board battles, but goes hard and makes great plays most games. 

Thought for the most part Brock was good too (couple shifts where he was everywhere in the offensive zone). He's had a really solid return so far and I'm hoping he keeps this going as the season wraps up into a productive offseason of training. 

Like others have said keep playing hard to end the season. No more culture of losing for this group, need to keep taking steps forward. 

(Also damn Hughes is an incredible skater...) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think he’s going to be traded this off-season. I would not the least bit surprised if he doesn’t come back. The team’s just going to have a new point producer next season. But I don’t think it’ll be Miller. My gut keeps telling me that he ain’t going to take a discount to play on this team in Canada, when he can be paid quite handsomely back in the States and be back ‘home’. 

This is what I think will happen as well.

I can't see Miller giving us a discount and he will get a chance at the cup by going to a contender.

EP-Horvat are perfectly good as 1C-2C combo. 30 goal scorers that are defensively responsible.

I was very impressed with the way Minnesota played tonight. I thought we played well but then, they played even better. And this is a team that we beat 2 seasons ago. There's no way we can beat them in a playoff series now. So much has changed in the two year span.

Losing Miller will sting because we might suck next season without him. We will be entering a retool but hopefully we can come out of it stronger like the Wilds.

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Petey is going to overtake Miller in terms of offensive prowess eventually, I think. 

He’s already lights years ahead offensively at the same age, aren’t they? Miller hasn’t really come to his own until maybe this year? What kind of player is Petey going to be at the same age? 

I think the biggest difference between the two players will be their defensive abilities.

Petey will one day put up 90 points but without defensive mistakes. That's why I'm hopeful that we can win with Petey and trading Miller will be palatable as long as we address other areas of weakness.

I still think though that if Miller gives us a discount, we should re-sign him. At 8-8.5 mil, Miller as 2C or even 1LW is a fine deal. He brings size, physicality, play making, high compete level, etc etc.

34 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

That foundation simply isn't good enough without J.T. Miller.  Either he gets re-signed... or we have to trade him away.  The worst thing that can happen is if we let him walk.  Maybe a lateral trade for someone slightly younger?  Would Dallas be crazy enough to give up Hintz?  Maybe a lesser player like Stephenson from Vegas?

Vegas is under cap crunch. I wonder if we can trade Miller, ask for Theodore and take on Pacioretty's contract?

Pacioretty has one year left on his deal and maybe we can trade him at the TDL for a 1st.

Theodore can play right side and would look good alongside either Hughes or OEL.

OEL-Theodore

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone-Myers/Poolman

We will have to find a way to trade Myers or Poolman to create some cap space.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Vegas is under cap crunch. I wonder if we can trade Miller, ask for Theodore and take on Pacioretty's contract?

Pacioretty has one year left on his deal and maybe we can trade him at the TDL for a 1st.

Theodore can play right side and would look good alongside either Hughes or OEL.

OEL-Theodore

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone-Myers/Poolman

We will have to find a way to trade Myers or Poolman to create some cap space.

I’d do that deal in a heartbeat if we can get Theodore in return, and take the cap dump on Pacioretty (I mean, he’s no slouch either). 

21 minutes ago, khay said:

This is what I think will happen as well.

I can't see Miller giving us a discount and he will get a chance at the cup by going to a contender.

EP-Horvat are perfectly good as 1C-2C combo. 30 goal scorers that are defensively responsible.

I was very impressed with the way Minnesota played tonight. I thought we played well but then, they played even better. And this is a team that we beat 2 seasons ago. There's no way we can beat them in a playoff series now. So much has changed in the two year span.

Losing Miller will sting because we might suck next season without him. We will be entering a retool but hopefully we can come out of it stronger like the Wilds.

I think it depends on what we get in return for Miller. If it’s just prospects and picks, then yes, downgrade for sure. But if we get near NHL ready to contribute players/prospects, then that could change things for the team next year. 

The defense is what needs to be addressed, and I’m curious as to what plan Allvin has with respect to that. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I’d do that deal in a heartbeat if we can get Theodore in return, and take the cap dump on Pacioretty (I mean, he’s no slouch either). 

Yeah, it seem like I'm dreaming.

Pacioretty has value -- he's PPG. And cap wise Miller = Theodore for now so if Vegas wanted to shed Pacioretty, they could just trade him for a draft pick or something like that.

17 minutes ago, khay said:

I think the biggest difference between the two players will be their defensive abilities.

Petey will one day put up 90 points but without defensive mistakes. That's why I'm hopeful that we can win with Petey and trading Miller will be palatable as long as we address other areas of weakness.

I still think though that if Miller gives us a discount, we should re-sign him. At 8-8.5 mil, Miller as 2C or even 1LW is a fine deal. He brings size, physicality, play making, high compete level, etc etc.

That’s the thing, though. I don’t think Miller’s going to give this team a discount. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, khay said:

Yeah, it seem like I'm dreaming.

Pacioretty has value -- he's PPG. And cap wise Miller = Theodore for now so if Vegas wanted to shed Pacioretty, they could just trade him for a draft pick or something like that.

How about Miller straight for Theodore. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I think it depends on what we get in return for Miller. If it’s just prospects and picks, then yes, downgrade for sure. But if we get near NHL ready to contribute players/prospects, then that could change things for the team next year. 

The defense is what needs to be addressed, and I’m curious as to what plan Allvin has with respect to that. 

My guess is that we get mostly prospects and picks, maybe one young NHL player (or near ready player) who isn't likely to be a significant contributor right away. For example, if we do get Schneider from NYR, I don't think he will all of a sudden log 20+ minutes and be a top3D. He will need time to get there.

44 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

He spends his summers in Pittsburgh.  That team is about to unload Malkin and Letang.  Miller can probably ask for $8.6 million per year... a smidge less than Crosby.

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

He spends his summers in Pittsburgh.  That team is about to unload Malkin and Letang.  Miller can probably ask for $8.6 million per year... a smidge less than Crosby.

They are trying to sign both.  Letang is asking for 5 years though.