The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) My first attempt at an offseason proposal in a couple years

Trades:

To NJD: 

Garland, 15th OA and the two 2023 4th round picks (VAN & NYR)

To VAN:

2nd OA (draft Slafkovsky) and NJD 3rd round pick

To TBL: 

Hoglander, Poolman and 2023 1st round pick

To VAN:

Cernak and 2022 4th round pick (CHI)

Signings & Re-signings:

Re-sign Boeser to a 1-3 contract with an AAV of anywhere between 6-6.5 million
Re-sign Lammikko, Highmore and Hunt to $825,000 deals

Sign Filip Forsberg to an 8 year 64-68 million for an AAV of 8-8.5 million

Sign Nick Deslauriers to 2 or 3 years with an AAV of 1.25-1.5 million

If there is room, sign Noel Acciari to a contract as well.

Lineup:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Slavkovsky-Horvat-Forsberg

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Deslauriers-Lammikko-Lockwood

Highmore, Acciari

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Cernak

Dermott-Schenn

Hunt, Burroughs

Demko-Martin

I took the Holtby and Virtanen buyouts into consideration as well.

Adds up to about 81.1 out of the projected 82.5 cap when using the upper ends of each contract I proposed.

I am also hesitant to include the 2023 1st, but I think Cernak would be worth it.

Edited by Franz Liszt
  • Cheers 1

So Slakovsky can step right into a top-6 role in Vancouver but he couldn't in NJD - why would NJD want a tiny forward that is more expensive and older?

Can't see why Tampa would do the 2nd trade to downgrade their defence when they are in a win now window.  Tampa uses Sportlogiq for their analytics - Sportsnet using that same technology graded Poolman as one of the worse off-season signings last summer.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mll said:

So Slakovsky can step right into a top-6 role in Vancouver but he couldn't in NJD - why would NJD want a tiny forward that is more expensive and older?

Can't see why Tampa would do the 2nd trade to downgrade their defence when they are in a win now window.  Tampa uses Sportlogiq for their analytics - Sportsnet using that same technology graded Poolman as one of the worse off-season signings last summer.  

I changed the Cernak deal to a 2023 1st.

And I think 3 picks plus a top-6 forward at a reasonable and controllable contract for Slafkovsky is fair value. I could still be wrong though. 

Edited by Franz Liszt

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think that'd be enough to get the 2nd pick, let alone a 3rd back 

If that was ever roughly the cost there are other teams who'd bid too 

Following up on this.. 

Say.. Minnesota offers up their 1st, our 2nd, and Fiala, as they probably won't be able to afford him. That's definitely more appealing to a team like New Jersey. 

11 minutes ago, Franz Liszt said:

I changed the Cernak deal to a 2023 1st.

And I think 3 picks plus a top-6 forward at a reasonable and controllable contract for Slafkovsky is fair value. I could still be wrong though. 

Picks matter little to Tampa when they are in their win now window.  They've been moving 1st rounders to get guys like Coleman, Goodrow.  There's really no reason to think they want to downgrade their D-corps and take Poolman as a cap dump in return.

Boudreau calls Garland a 3rd liner and another GM felt he was overpaid.  He's not some gifted goal scorer either.  Don't see him having that kind of trade value.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Picks matter little to Tampa when they are in their win now window.  They've been moving 1st rounders to get guys like Coleman, Goodrow.  There's really no reason to think they want to downgrade their D-corps and take Poolman as a cap dump in return.

Boudreau calls Garland a 3rd liner and another GM felt he was overpaid.  He's not some gifted goal scorer either.  Don't see him having that kind of trade value.  

I see, I see. I was trying to find the most affordable RHD to pair with Hughes moving forward. I was originally looking at Parayko, but I didn't realize he re-signed with STL.

38 minutes ago, mll said:

but Garland is a very good even strength point producer. At 49 even strength points that puts him at 51st in the NHL in some pretty good company with top 6 scorers. 

Wasn't the quote more about Garland raising the quality of the 3rd line, vs him being a 3rd liner in skill?

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

but Garland is a very good even strength point producer. At 49 even strength points that puts him at 51st in the NHL in some pretty good company with top 6 scorers. 

Wasn't the quote more about Garland raising the quality of the 3rd line, vs him being a 3rd liner in skill?

He was talking about Pettersson's star potential.  Was ahead of the Toronto game where he pointed out that Matthews played with Marner, while he had Pettersson playing with 3rd liners like Garland and how he just makes them better.  

Edited by mll

38 minutes ago, Franz Liszt said:

I see, I see. I was trying to find the most affordable RHD to pair with Hughes moving forward. I was originally looking at Parayko, but I didn't realize he re-signed with STL.

I think in this draft, our 15th and Garland is good value to move up. I would suspect tho to go all the way up to 2nd oa, we'd need to add Rathbone. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

He was talking about Pettersson's star potential.  Was ahead of the Toronto game where he pointed out that Matthews played with Marner, while he had Pettersson playing with 3rd liners like Garland and how he just makes them better.  

well, he's a heck of a good 3rd liner then. 

I don't see that first trade happening. 

I'd rather see:

Trade Dermott to some random team for 3rd round pick.
Trade Myers to some random team for 3rd round pick.
Trade Miller, Poolman, acquired 3rd to Winnipeg for Pierre-Luc Dubois, Brenden Dillon.
Trade Dickinson plus other 3rd & 5th round pick to Stars for Faksa.
Re-sign PLD for 7X6.5
Sign Zadorov 5X4m
Sign Manson 4X4.5
Extend Boeser 6X6
Sign Highmore, Lammikko, Chaisson, Hunt for 2X800k(ish) each

Dubois Pettersson Boeser 19.85m
Pearson Horvat Podz 9.75m
Garland Faksa Hogz 9m
Highmore Lammikko Lockwood 3m
Chaisson .75

Hughes Manson 12.35m 
OEL Zadorov 11.26m 
Dillon Schenn 4.8m
Rathbone .75, Hunt .75

Demko 5
Martin 1

78.25 million total. (Not quite exact, but close)

I thought Poolman was to facilitate providing them with more LTIR space, but yeah Cernak's on a steal of a $2.95 million deal, not sure why they would trade it for futures (they don't really need LTIR space either since their roster is so optimized that if any star goes on LTIR for awhile they'll probably have space, and any minimal contract guy's injury could just be replaced by the next man up).

15th and Garland to move to 2nd I'd probably do, though presuming Montreal takes Wright I'd go for Logan Cooley.  I'm a fan of Slafkovsky's from the Olympics but our center depth could use help in the pipeline, and some pages compare Cooley to Brayden Point (smaller but well-rounded and fast center).

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I thought Poolman was to facilitate providing them with more LTIR space, but yeah Cernak's on a steal of a $2.95 million deal, not sure why they would trade it for futures (they don't really need LTIR space either since their roster is so optimized that if any star goes on LTIR for awhile they'll probably have space, and any minimal contract guy's injury could just be replaced by the next man up).

15th and Garland to move to 2nd I'd probably do, though presuming Montreal takes Wright I'd go for Logan Cooley.  I'm a fan of Slafkovsky's from the Olympics but our center depth could use help in the pipeline, and some pages compare Cooley to Brayden Point (smaller but well-rounded and fast center).

LTIR doesn't create cap space - it actually costs teams cap space.  Dayal and Drance just had an article up on the Athletic saying that teams should trade for Ferland is completely clueless.  LTIR contracts also count against the cap so if you add a 10M LTIR contract - the cap does go up but so does the other side of the equation and there's no cap space created.   Also only LTIR contracts can exceed the cap - the regular roster is still under 81.5M.  Vancouver had to operate with a regular roster at 81.2M this season because they couldn't maximise their LTIR relief.

Brisebois traded Callahan's 5.8M LTIR contract with a 5th round pick for Mike Condon (2.4M cap hit) and a 6th round pick back in summer 2019.  Condon spent all season buried in the minors for a residual cap hit of over 1.3M.  It was better for them to have that dead cap on the books than to have Callahan's 5.8M LTIR contract.  Brisebois wanted to bank cap space to add at the TDL and avoid a bonus overage.

LTIR has teams forfeiting any unused cap space while if they avoid LTIR they can put aside for future use.  Without their LTIR contracts, Vancouver would have likely been able to set enough cap space aside to cover Halak's bonus this season rather than have a carry-over of 1.25M.  

Edited by mll

18 hours ago, Franz Liszt said:

Trades:

To NJD: 

Garland, 15th OA and the two 2023 4th round picks (VAN & NYR)

To VAN:

2nd OA (draft Slafkovsky) and NJD 3rd round pick

To TBL: 

Hoglander, Poolman and 2023 1st round pick

To VAN:

Cernak and 2022 4th round pick (CHI)

Signings & Re-signings:

Re-sign Boeser to a 1-3 contract with an AAV of anywhere between 6-6.5 million
Re-sign Lammikko, Highmore and Hunt to $825,000 deals

Sign Filip Forsberg to an 8 year 64-68 million for an AAV of 8-8.5 million

Sign Nick Deslauriers to 2 or 3 years with an AAV of 1.25-1.5 million

If there is room, sign Noel Acciari to a contract as well.

Lineup:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Slavkovsky-Horvat-Forsberg

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Deslauriers-Lammikko-Lockwood

Highmore, Acciari

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Cernak

Dermott-Schenn

Hunt, Burroughs

Demko-Martin

I took the Holtby and Virtanen buyouts into consideration as well.

Adds up to about 81.1 out of the projected 82.5 cap when using the upper ends of each contract I proposed.

I am also hesitant to include the 2023 1st, but I think Cernak would be worth it.

I'd just like to know who we managed to off load OEL and Myers to and what we received/paid to do so lol. If our D was weak last season we downgraded big time here. You have 4 6/7/8 D men as your bottom 4 ouch