The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not a great offensive start to the year with just 1 goal, it's hard to see the picks right after him scoring better than him. Ostlund, Kemell and Ohgren are having decent years whereas Jonathan is struggling to put up points.

I know we've invested so much into Swedish/European scouting but so far they're not looking good.

Meanwhile Pickering is scoring at a point per game on defence...

Could have snagged a decent playmaking center in Ostlund or a good puck mover in Pickering but instead go for yet another "sniper" winger who can't score...

I wanted Pickering the more I read up on him. Oh well.

On 11/6/2022 at 10:35 PM, Wolfgang Durst said:

" but the effort is coming" - you would expect much more from a 1st round pick than that, especially in a tier2 league like the Allsvenskan. Advanced stats like corsi and expected goals for have improved mainly due to the great linemates Lekkerimäki is playing with as Noah Östlund and Liam Ohgren. Although i am hoping that Lekkerimäki starts producing. He is playing on the 3rd line of Djurgarden but on a top 3 team in the league.

Wait, you think that his improving advanced stats are due to playing with two other 18 year olds rather than seasoned veteran pro hockey players? I think this right here says a lot about where your misunderstanding of the player's development is coming from.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/6/2022 at 10:35 PM, Wolfgang Durst said:

" but the effort is coming" - you would expect much more from a 1st round pick than that, especially in a tier2 league like the Allsvenskan. Advanced stats like corsi and expected goals for have improved mainly due to the great linemates Lekkerimäki is playing with as Noah Östlund and Liam Ohgren. Although i am hoping that Lekkerimäki starts producing. He is playing on the 3rd line of Djurgarden but on a top 3 team in the league.

Blah. Sorry I have this bad habit sometimes of saying something critical without adding anything constructive.

To add to my previous reply: I've been both watching Djurgardens and keeping tabs on the stats all season, and all three of Ohgren, Lekkerimaki and Ostlund have made major, gradual improvements to their corsi numbers over the course of the year. It has very little to do with who they're playing with, and everything to do them gradually learning to play an increased role at this level.

Dante Fabbro is a great example of what I want to get across here. Two years ago, he played on a second pairing with I believe it was mainly Ekholm, so he was both sheltered away from top lines (who got Josi's pair) but also sheltered by playing with a high-quality top 4 defenseman. Last year he played full-time with Roman Josi, so he was much less sheltered in the sense that he had to face opponents' top lines, but in another sense he was much more sheltered because he was playing with fucking Roman Josi, but overall it worked out to him being more exposed than the previous year. Now this year he's largely on the bottom pair, but he's the one being relied on to lead that pairing. And then the idea will be maybe within a year or two he will hopefully be able to be the go-to guy leading a second pairing, and so on until he reaches the extent of his potential.

With these three Djurgardens young forwards, they started the season more sheltered to varying degrees by being more spread out, each having some veteran presence to support them, but since they've been playing all together, all three are completely exposed in their inexperience at the pro level. And initially the coach counterbalanced that by heavily sheltering them in the sense of keeping them away from opponents' top lines, but they are gradually learning the ropes and starting to be able to handle themselves against better and better opponents.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I wanted Pickering the more I read up on him. Oh well.

Pittsburgh is falling and they can’t afford too. Their team is old as balls. There’s a great trade there to be had whenever management decides to do something

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

Pittsburgh is falling and they can’t afford too. Their team is old as balls. There’s a great trade there to be had whenever management decides to do something

I wonder if JR goes into hibernation for the winter? We may have to wait until the TDL? :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Nice to JL starting to get some more confidence after scoring last game. That move at the blue line, at full speed and staying onside is really impressive. 

In case anyone is wondering how some of the comparable players are doing at the same tournament so far:

Lekkerimäki: 3GP 1G 1A

Öhgren: 3GP 1A

Östlund: 3GP 1A

Kemell: 2GP 2A

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 8:35 PM, Western Red said:

Brutal, sheltered minutes in 2nd tier Euro? 

Difference maker. 

Mono.

didn’t anyone learn from McCann, mono can take a while to recover.

we gave up on the wrong first rounder in that draft.  

it is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

On 11/15/2022 at 12:06 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jfc, Faber is becoming just as bad as Cam for click bait, hot takes. :picard:

Yes, Lekkerimaki played this game on the 4th line. BUT, Östlund and Öhgren both played on the 4th line with him. I mean, to me at least, this was clearly the coach giving all 3 youngsters a break on their first game back after playing in the 5-Nations. The rest of the team had a full week off whereas these three played and traveled.

Such a crazy idea to ease them back in when you have a fully rested roster compared to those 3.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Like 4