The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

I think one thing Canucks MGMT needs to be looking at is getting a future Starting G in the pipe for 4 or 5 years down the line I'm no goalie scout but Hrabal looks like a monster in net. Hopefully we can get a pick at the deadline or draft that turns into this guy. 

Also really think Stramel's  the middle of the 1st round player we should be watching closely. Legit PWF right shot C/RW who drives the middle and finishes his checks with gusto. Ill be watching him move up the board as we move down in a playoff race we have no business being in right now. 

Axel Pellikka would also be a spicy pick. He is not looking out of place as a 17 yearold RHD in the SHL. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

Any chance the Canucks would be able to draft Andrew Cristall from the Rockets? I've watched him play and he has tremendous skill. Seems to be really moving up the rankings so not sure where he will get picked. 

Nothing against Cristall buuuuut lord I hope we don't take another small winger with our 1st. We need to start building a team here. If we are drafting BPA skilled small wingers they better be far far above our draft position on our board. The kid is having a remarkable year so far though. 

Just feel after we went with Lekkerimaki last year diversifying our prospect pool should be a priority. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:04 AM, hammertime said:

I think one thing Canucks MGMT needs to be looking at is getting a future Starting G in the pipe for 4 or 5 years down the line I'm no goalie scout but Hrabal looks like a monster in net. Hopefully we can get a pick at the deadline or draft that turns into this guy. 

Also really think Stramel's  the middle of the 1st round player we should be watching closely. Legit PWF right shot C/RW who drives the middle and finishes his checks with gusto. Ill be watching him move up the board as we move down in a playoff race we have no business being in right now. 

Axel Pellikka would also be a spicy pick. He is not looking out of place as a 17 yearold RHD in the SHL. 

Like the RHD call.... although 5'11 is not too big.... 180lbs suggests he is stoutly built so with a big of luck he adds at least an inch and 20+lbs. 

Lets see our drafting position... (still cheesed off about last draft)....

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Lets see our drafting position... (still cheesed off about last draft)....

Me too man! Hard to choke on when you look at who was on the board. 

Draft#:17

Joakim Kemell

Ht/Wt:5'10"/185 lbs
Position:RW
Not going to get into this he was so obviously the better pick if you're going for Lekkerimaki's skillset. And then some.

Draft#:18

Lian Bichsel

Ht/Wt:6' 6"/225 lbs
Position:LHD

Guy I wanted!

Draft#:20

Ivan Miroshnichenko

Ht/Wt:6' 1"/185 lbs
Position:RW/LW

Looks vey good since his return.

Draft#:21

Owen Pickering

Ht/Wt:6' 4"/180 lbs

Havin a great year.

Draft#:22

Nathan Gaucher

Ht/Wt:6' 3"/207 lbs
Position:C/RW
Punishing right shot 3c

Draft#:23 *

Jimmy Snuggerud

Ht/Wt:6' 1"/188 lbs

20 pts in 16 games NCAA

Draft#:25 *

Sam Rinzel

Position:RHD

Big RHD who can skate and rip it. 

Draft#:27 *

Filip Bystedt

Ht/Wt:6' 4"/204 lbs
Position:C

Looking good for Linkoping SHL so far.

Draft#:28 *

Jiri Kulich

Ht/Wt:6' 0"/182 lbs

Looks great in the AHL with Rochester.

Draft#:29 *

Maveric Lamoureux

Ht/Wt:6' 7"/199 lbs

Draft#:32 *

Reid Schaefer

Ht/Wt:6' 3"/214 lbs
Position:LW

Pugnacious PWF on pace for 50g

Theres no point dwelling on it. My only hope is that they have satisfied their thirst and are now hungry. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Like the RHD call.... although 5'11 is not too big.... 180lbs suggests he is stoutly built so with a big of luck he adds at least an inch and 20+lbs. 

Axel isn't going to that big nasty punishing RHD but it would not surprise me to see him shoot up into the mid 1st if he keeps playing well I see no reason not to project him as a top 4 with his abilities.  

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Joakim Kemell

Not going to get into this he was so obviously the better pick if you're going for Lekkerimaki's skillset. And then some.

Lian Bichsel

Guy I wanted!

Ivan Miroshnichenko

Owen Pickering

Havin a great year.

Nathan Gaucher

Punishing right shot 3c

Jimmy Snuggerud

20 pts in 16 games NCAA

Sam Rinzel

Filip Bystedt

Jiri Kulich

Maveric Lamoureux

Reid Schaefer

Theres no point dwelling on it. My only hope is that they have satisfied their thirst and are now hungry. 

Seeing Schaefer go to Edmonton physicaly hurt to watch.  he was someone I absolutely wanted in the draft.  Bischell as well.  Had serious designs on Lameroux, as I have been screaming in every single draft thread back to 2013 about our desperate need for RHD

But we did the same thing we always do, draft a smaller winger.  Outside of Hughes, Podkolzin, Hughes and Juolevi.  Our draft MO has been so alarmingly consistent and so alarmingly bad going back to 2006 that one has to wonder if they just lather rinse and repeat the same draft strategy year in and yer out as a mantra for GMs in the front office

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Seeing Schaefer go to Edmonton physicaly hurt to watch.  he was someone I absolutely wanted in the draft.  Bischell as well.  Had serious designs on Lameroux, as I have been screaming in every single draft thread back to 2013 about our desperate need for RHD

But we did the same thing we always do, draft a smaller winger.  Outside of Hughes, Podkolzin, Hughes and Juolevi.  Our draft MO has been so alarmingly consistent and so alarmingly bad going back to 2006 that one has to wonder if they just lather rinse and repeat the same draft strategy year in and yer out as a mantra for GMs in the front office

It is so painful to watch. We desperately need someone in charge with a sense of direction. We aren't a tweak away from being contenders.

We need to start from the D and the G out. Take a step back to be able to move forward sustainably.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Joakim Kemell

Lian Bichsel

Guy I wanted!

Ivan Miroshnichenko

Owen Pickering

Havin a great year.

Nathan Gaucher

Punishing right shot 3c

Jimmy Snuggerud

20 pts in 16 games NCAA

Sam Rinzel

Filip Bystedt

Jiri Kulich

Maveric Lamoureux

Reid Schaefer

In particular no 18 and 21, as long term this is exactly, what we are needing on the backend. Eventually we would have a d-man to take over for OEL, when he 'dies' of old age...

Instead they went for a winger, which we need like a hole in the head. 

So yes I'm not bitter, but still question their wisdom in the draft. Made me think of JB drafting JV and OJ.... :mad:

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

It is so painful to watch. We desperately need someone in charge with a sense of direction. We aren't a tweak away from being contenders.

We need to start from the D and the G out. Take a step back to be able to move forward sustainably.

I've been delving in to Canucks draft history since 2006 and on and if you look at who/what they draft it is so insanely consistent that a player like Schaefer or Lamoureux would have been a 180 degree turn on almost 2 decades of doing the exact same thing

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I've been delving in to Canucks draft history since 2006 and on and if you look at who/what they draft it is so insanely consistent that a player like Schaefer or Lamoureux would have been a 180 degree turn on almost 2 decades of doing the exact same thing

I think JB's best draft was the Virtanen one. If we gloss over the Virtanen being a total POS part.. This is why interviews are so important. The mindset was at least correct take the guy with the rarest tools size speed combo.  But they also took Mcann, Demko, Tryamkin, Forsling. 

If Virtanen had grown from a boy into a man, Tryamkins wife been a pot head, and not mortgaged Forsling + Mcann for the present mayyyyyybe we are a much better team today and JB still has a jerb.

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1