The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

23 hours ago, Warhippy said:

100%

Like former BC greats that said they'd love to play at home such as Sakic, Yzerman, Neidermeyer :P

That would be our luck.  Miss the playoffs this year, don't place high enough to worry about the lottery and have a chance to sign him as a UFA at $15+ million when we're still a cap team and just needing to tinker to get over the hump ;) 

I don’t recall Sakic ever saying he wanted to play at home. In matter of fact, it’s was the opposite for him. He never liked the pressure of playing in front of his hometown, stating it was a distraction for him.

Yzerman was born in BC, but spent most of his childhood in Ontario. If anything he was an Islanders fan, since his idol was Trottier.

Niedermayer was close to signing with us in 2005, but we ultimately choose to re-sign Naslund.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

I don’t recall Sakic ever saying he wanted to play at home. In matter of fact, it’s was the opposite for him. He never liked the pressure of playing in front of his hometown, stating it was a distraction for him.

Yzerman was born in BC, but spent most of his childhood in Ontario. If anything he was an Islanders fan, since his idol was Trottier.

Niedermayer was close to signing with us in 2005, but we ultimately choose to re-sign Naslund.

Ya....you're missing the noise this fanbase makes every time a BC born player comes near free agency.  Every single time a large name BC boy comes near free agency, this fan base creates scenarios in which said player always wanted to be in Vancouver, wanted to play at home, was looking at property in the area etc.

Kinda how they like to abuse themselves ya know ;) 

Edited by Warhippy

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Is it time to take a serious look at pinning Leo Carlsson into the top 3 he's looking very good for Orebro. A top 5 pick in this draft could be huge for us. 

I cant imagine a world he isn't.

Bedard / Fantili / Carlsson 

Have to be the clear cut top 3 at this point.

All three look like slam dunk franchise changing centremen

Agree would be massive for our rebuild

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

I cant imagine a world he isn't.

Bedard / Fantili / Carlsson 

Have to be the clear cut top 3 at this point.

All three look like slam dunk franchise changing centremen

Agree would be massive for our rebuild

My top 5 right now:

1. Connor Bedard

2. Matvei Michkov

3. Leo Carlsson / /Adam Fantilli

5. Will Smith

But yeah could easily see Michkov falling a ways. If he'd been able to attend major international tournaments and dominated, he might have a forced a team's hand very early. But so far he's bouncing between elite goal-scorer in VHL and just getting by in the KHL Still, the way he destroyed at YOGs, Hlinkas, U18s, always under-aged, it's gonna take a significant sample size of really high level play for a Fantilli or Carlsson to pass him in my books. And such a unique and innovative style of play. Imagine if a guy like Stranges or Bracco was also elite at every facet of the game. Not so much moving through the 10-2 as they do, but the ability to be so deceptive and explosive out of those turns/spins. He's maybe not as strong/sturdy out of that low position as a Forsberg or Crosby, but he's going to be more dynamic with his turns than them. I think of a Kariya or Eklund, but Michkov gets even more powerful acceleration out of his movements.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

My top 5 right now:

1. Connor Bedard

2. Matvei Michkov

5. Will Smith

But yeah could easily see Michkov falling a ways. If he'd been able to attend major international tournaments and dominated, he might have a forced a team's hand very early. But so far he's bouncing between elite goal-scorer in VHL and just getting by in the KHL Still, the way he destroyed at YOGs, Hlinkas, U18s, always under-aged, it's gonna take a significant sample size of really high level play for a Fantilli or Carlsson to pass him in my books. And such a unique and innovative style of play. Imagine if a guy like Stranges or Bracco was also elite at every facet of the game. Not so much moving through the 10-2 as they do, but the ability to be so deceptive and explosive out of those turns/spins. He's maybe not as strong/sturdy out of that low position as a Forsberg or Crosby, but he's going to be more dynamic with his turns than them. I think of a Kariya or Eklund, but Michkov gets even more powerful acceleration out of his movements.

I get that Michkov is an elite talent and possibly the kind of elite player that you don't mind waiting for. But I just wonder how many teams, with high draft picks, that are looking for the kind of player that is either an immediate infusion of talent or at most a year away are going to be able to sell drafting a kid that won't play for their team until the 2026-27 season.

That is going to be the reason he falls outside of the top 3 and, quite possibly the top 5. Especially with the dominance both Carlsson and Fantilli are showing this season. Both those players also have the one thing that Michkov doesn't, and it can't be taught and can be vastly overrated by NHL GM's on occasion, size.

14 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I get that Michkov is an elite talent and possibly the kind of elite player that you don't mind waiting for. But I just wonder how many teams, with high draft picks, that are looking for the kind of player that is either an immediate infusion of talent or at most a year away are going to be able to sell drafting a kid that won't play for their team until the 2026-27 season.

That is going to be the reason he falls outside of the top 3 and, quite possibly the top 5. Especially with the dominance both Carlsson and Fantilli are showing this season. Both those players also have the one thing that Michkov doesn't, and it can't be taught and can be vastly overrated by NHL GM's on occasion, size.

If we're drafting at 5th or 6th and Michkov is there, we happily take him.  If he's a 2-3 year project that means it's ok because this team is absolutely still floundering and he could/would be one shot in the arm after another in terms of high prospects coming down the line.

IE; if we trade Horvat/Myers we're taking a large step back.  Next year will also be a high draft pick and shed assets leading to another higher pick in 2025 at which point we may see Michkov enter the league.

Of cours,e all that goes out the window with the Ukranian invasion going so poorly for Russia because he could be drafted by us only to be drafted to the front line by russia

On 11/24/2022 at 12:23 PM, Warhippy said:

100%

Like former BC greats that said they'd love to play at home such as Sakic, Yzerman, Neidermeyer :P

That would be our luck.  Miss the playoffs this year, don't place high enough to worry about the lottery and have a chance to sign him as a UFA at $15+ million when we're still a cap team and just needing to tinker to get over the hump ;) 

If Demko or Martin gets hot - then the Canucks will be drafting in the teens.

Those greats wanted to win a cup and the Canucks, didn't offer them that chance.  This year and next the Canucks, will have a chance to draft two local products, that can make a big difference in the teams future and I wonder, which path Aquaman will have his FO choose ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

My top 5 right now:

1. Connor Bedard

2. Matvei Michkov

5. Will Smith

I like will smith a lot too he’s to low on so many boards rn. Like he’s be a top 2 or first overall draft prospect in weaker drafts it looks like.

I’ve not seen Mitchkov in action, but i’ve heard there’s some worry that Russia could try and keep him there. Not lose their next absolute super star to North America. 

im so curious where he will get picked.