The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Rathbone played on Saturday and apparently had a strong game. I don't think his last injury was a concussion. Lower body? That said he has lost so much development time to injury that I agree with you that it is not looking good. That said I suspect Rathbone talks to Juulson and all that he has gone thru. IMHO Juulson should get another look at RD in Vancouver. 

JR's last injury was a concussion.......he played limited mins on Saturday, but played well in the mins he was given.

To be fair size is nice but most importantly we need a defensive minded blue liner or 2 that make players keep their head up in the Neutral zone, clear the crease and make the simple plays to move the puck in the right direction. 

We need a new era my man Dan Hamhuis. Someone with the gutz to lay out Big Buff/Lucic on the wall and play some big minute low event hockey

To me in this draft year If we are using one of our 1st's (NYI) on a D I want Smash. Dimitri Simashev. He's that high floor defensive physical D we need who won't need to be sheltered and can work his way up the ranks earning tougher and tougher assignments. He skates incredibly well and has impressive puck skills. Points will come but don't expect that to be a staple of his game. 

To me Reinbacher is a bit over hyped and for good reason he has had an outstanding season. He's big, skates very well, can put up points and he shoot's right to boot. My issue with him is he isn't gritty enough maybe it's partly because he's a kid playing in a men's league or maybe he's a big fluffy puppy. The tools are there in spades is the will? Will he win in the playoffs? Do you even have to be gritty to win in todays game? I know one thing when we match up against skilled teams who want to play wagon races we have a chance to win 6-5 but we almost never win those hard fought 2-1 battles. Is Optimus Rein gonna be a factor in us winning those 2-1 games??? 

I think we should wait and grab our D in the 2nd. Where IMO the 2 real gem D of this draft class are. Oliver Bonk and Maxim Strbak is it too much to ask to get another pick and take both??

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Rathbone played on Saturday and apparently had a strong game. I don't think his last injury was a concussion. Lower body? That said he has lost so much development time to injury that I agree with you that it is not looking good. That said I suspect Rathbone talks to Juulson and all that he has gone thru. IMHO Juulson should get another look at RD in Vancouver. 

Nobody would be happier than me, if JR suddenly would be able to defend properly, as it would help iron out a lot of issues.

As for Juulsen he defo has the size of D I would like... We need folks that can defend better, even though its not only on them... 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

To be fair size is nice but most importantly we need a defensive minded blue liner or 2 that make players keep their head up in the Neutral zone, clear the crease and make the simple plays to move the puck in the right direction. 

We need a new era my man Dan Hamhuis. Someone with the gutz to lay out Big Buff/Lucic on the wall and play some big minute low event hockey

To me in this draft year If we are using one of our 1st's (NYI) on a D I want Smash. Dimitri Simashev. He's that high floor defensive physical D we need who won't need to be sheltered and can work his way up the ranks earning tougher and tougher assignments. He skates incredibly well and has impressive puck skills. Points will come but don't expect that to be a staple of his game. 

To me Reinbacher is a bit over hyped and for good reason he has had an outstanding season. He's big, skates very well, can put up points and he shoot's right to boot. My issue with him is he isn't gritty enough maybe it's partly because he's a kid playing in a men's league or maybe he's a big fluffy puppy. The tools are there in spades is the will? Will he win in the playoffs? Do you even have to be gritty to win in todays game? I know one thing when we match up against skilled teams who want to play wagon races we have a chance to win 6-5 but we almost never win those hard fought 2-1 battles. Is Optimus Rein gonna be a factor in us winning those 2-1 games??? 

I think we should wait and grab our D in the 2nd. Where IMO the 2 real gem D of this draft class are. Oliver Bonk and Maxim Strbak is it too much to ask to get another pick and take both??

I think so too but our draft strategy I think is gonna be determined where michkov falls. 

1 hour ago, Isam said:

I think so too but our draft strategy I think is gonna be determined where michkov falls. 

How so?? 

I'd love Michkov with our 1st. If we don't get him I'd also be thrilled with Benson yes I know 2 teeny weeny wingers. I like Benson over Smith they are both high ceiling offensive players but Benson is imo far more responsible defensively and on the forcheck averaging 4.5ish forced turnovers per game and he manages the puck very well very rarely turning it over himself which tells me he isn't forcing the play but instead dictating it while achieving his gaudy point totals. Which pushes the needle for me. But regardless of Michkov Smith Benson. All great picks 

That NYI pick needs to be that foundational player. The meat in the burger. To me that's Calum Ritchie. You can dress this team up with all kinds of toppings but without the protein it's not a meal. I would also be happy with the Big Rig Stramel, Nate Danielson or Simashev if we go for a D. The Strat doesn't change or shouldn't. 

Our 1st Highest ceiling player.

NYI 1st Meat in the burger Ritchie/Stramel/Danielson/Simashev

Round 2 RHD Bonk/Strbak

Round 3 Middle 6 foot soldier Juraj Pekarcik

Round 4 Ian's Pick

Round 4 Big defensive D Carter Sotheran/ Kristian Kostadinski 

*Edit: Added Danielson as he would fit the bill as well of type of player we need with that NYI pick. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

How so?? 

I'd love Michkov with our 1st. If we don't get him I'd also be thrilled with Benson yes I know 2 teeny weeny wingers. I like Benson over Smith they are both high ceiling offensive players but Benson is imo far more responsible defensively and on the forcheck averaging 4.5ish forced turnovers per game and he manages the puck very well very rarely turning it over himself which tells me he isn't forcing the play but instead dictating it while achieving his gaudy point totals. Which pushes the needle for me. But regardless of Michkov Smith Benson. All great picks 

That NYI pick needs to be that foundational player. The meat in the burger. To me that's Calum Ritchie. You can dress this team up with all kinds of toppings but without the protein it's not a meal. I would also be happy with the Big Rig Stramel or Simashev if we go for a D. The Strat doesn't change or shouldn't. 

Our 1st Highest ceiling player.

NYI 1st Meat in the burger Ritchie/Stramel/Simashev

Round 2 RHD Bonk/Strbak

Round 3 Middle 6 foot soldier Juraj Pekarcik

Round 4 Ian's Pick

Round 4 Big defensive D Carter Sotheran/ Kristian Kostadinski 

If we draft michkov, then most likely we go center with the isles pick. Thinking Danielson. Our second will probably be used then on dragacevic. He will fall not too far out of the first. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Isam said:

If we draft michkov, then most likely we go center with the isles pick. Thinking Danielson. Our second will probably be used then on dragacevic. He will fall not too far out of the first. 

I mean you're probably right. But I think we are saying the same thing. 

1  Highest ceiling fwd

1.5 C Danielson I would consider a protein pick.

2 RHD

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I mean you're probably right. But I think we are saying the same thing. 

1  Highest ceiling fwd

1.5 C Danielson I would consider a protein pick.

2 RHD

Yeah. Pretty much. But, it would pretty sweet to grab michkov. Guy has been putting up .76 points per game since the move to sochi. That is higher then tarasenko, ovi, malkin, Kuznetsova etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DudePerfect said:

Michkov, Yager, Akey. Most realistic scenario if Michkov falls to Canucks

Wouldn't hate it. Really like Akey. Yager is a great player wouldn't be my pic but that's not a knock on him. He certainly deserves to be in that range or better. He like Nazar/Lekkerimaki last year is a player with great skill who I hope will and should be off the board before we pick. It would be hard to pass on him but I think we have to look at the type of team we want to be. Sometimes the best player available isn't the best player for us. We don't need an all star team we want a playoff team. Before someone brings up Tkachuk gedafugattahere we've needed a PWF like him since the Sedins were 3rd liners.

Edited by hammertime
  • Vintage 1

The good thing about this draft is there are so many great options at each of our picks that if we completely screw this up and walk away with.

Christal

Perrault

Gulyayev 

We still likely did ok. 

They're all great prospects!

I'd like to think we have a vision for our team and don't just blindly take the highest ranked player at each spot. I hope we do better than ok. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Wouldn't hate it. Really like Akey. Yager is a great player wouldn't be my pic but that's not a knock on him. He certainly deserves to be in that range or better. He like Nazar/Lekkerimaki last year is a player with great skill who I hope will and should be off the board before we pick. It would be hard to pass on him but I think we have to look at the type of team we want to be. Sometimes the best player available isn't the best player for us. We don't need an all star team we want a playoff team. Before someone brings up Tkachuk gedafugattahere we've needed a PWF like him since the Sedins were 3rd liners.

Personally I liked Nazar and Lekkerimaki last year better than I like Yager this year. Both had different attributes that I saw as highly valuable. For Nazar his tenacity and 200-foot expertise, for Lekkerimaki it was his playmaking and movement down low, which ever since Justin Williams I've placed excess importance on. For Yager as much as he has a penchant for scoring in around the net, most of his goals come from mid-range with his shot. With his 165 lb frame, it'll be a while before he's of much use down low in the NHL, especially if he's supposed to be a center. His offensive hockey IQ is exceptional, so he'll likely find ways to put up goals and points at the NHL level. I think a likely trajectory would be something like a Sam Reinhart, where he's just a pretty good player for a long time until he fully matures physically in his mid 20s and then maybe has a few big years. I'm also not much of a fan of his skating; he's a good straight ahead skater, but seems sloppy on his edges to my untrained eye.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Personally I liked Nazar and Lekkerimaki last year better than I like Yager this year. Both had different attributes that I saw as highly valuable. For Nazar his tenacity and 200-foot expertise, for Lekkerimaki it was his playmaking and movement down low, which ever since Justin Williams I've placed excess importance on. For Yager as much as he has a penchant for scoring in around the net, most of his goals come from mid-range with his shot. With his 165 lb frame, it'll be a while before he's of much use down low in the NHL, especially if he's supposed to be a center. His offensive hockey IQ is exceptional, so he'll likely find ways to put up goals and points at the NHL level. I think a likely trajectory would be something like a Sam Reinhart, where he's just a pretty good player for a long time until he fully matures physically in his mid 20s and then maybe has a few big years. I'm also not much of a fan of his skating; he's a good straight ahead skater, but seems sloppy on his edges to my untrained eye.

Did you just compare Lekkerimak to MR Playoffs? 

Regardless like I said I wasn't knocking Nazar or Lekkerimaki or Yager I like all of these players I had both Nazar and Lekkerikaki high on my board last year because I felt they were highly skilled players of the 2 I preferred Nazar and more than both I liked Kemell but that's not the point. The point is that none of them were the right pick for us! Much like I think Yager is a great pick and deserves to be ranked high. I just hope he's off the board before we pick. 

Was the “Forbidden Fruit” in the Garden of Eden Actually an Apple? |  Ancient Origins

• Cheers 1

If VAN isn't in the Top 3 (Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson), my choices

1a - (C) Smith, (RW) Michkov, (C/LW) Benson, (C) Moore, (C/RW) Leonard

1b - (RD) SandinPellikka, (LD) Simashev, (RD) Reinbacher, (RD) Dragicevic

2a - (RD) Willander, (RD) Bonk, (RD) Allen, (G) Hrabal

VAN needs a 2b

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If VAN isn't in the Top 3 (Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson), my choices

1a - (C) Smith, (RW) Michkov, (C/LW) Benson, (C) Moore, (C/RW) Leonard

1b - (RD) SandinPellikka, (LD) Simashev, (RD) Reinbacher, (RD) Dragicevic

2a - (RD) Willander, (RD) Bonk, (RD) Allen, (G) Hrabal

VAN needs a 2b

Fire our scouting dept if we don't take Michkov. Yes 3 year wait blah blah blah russian political stuff. IMO he's the only player who challenges Bedard for 1oa 5 years from now.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Fire our scouting dept if we don't take Michkov. Yes 3 year wait blah blah blah russian political stuff. IMO he's the only player who challenges Bedard for 1oa 5 years from now.

Yes if Michkov was from anywhere but Russia he would be the clear 2nd over all pick.

If you want to talk about tiers in this draft, there is Bedard - Michkov then 

Fantilli Carlsson Smith Benson as the top 2 tiers.

I believe Smith and Benson are reasonably close to the other 2 in that 2nd tier. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

Imagine a Dan Hamhuis playing with Hughes right now. 

I do agree with you that Smash plays that more physical game and it seems to be in his nature to. 

In both the team sports I follow the quickness and the physicality goes up a few levels in the playoffs/ finals. 

It's the guys who not only have the tools but the desire and will to win that step it up.

That can't really be taught. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1