The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

18 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

I like Moore, hes a target for the Canucks for sure. I just prefer guys like Reinbacher, Dvorksy, Danielson before him

Danielson is a real sleeper in this draft I think, I'd be thrilled to get him.  My realistic targets for Van are Moore, Danielson and Reinbacher, in that order.  

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Danielson is a real sleeper in this draft I think, I'd be thrilled to get him.  My realistic targets for Van are Moore, Danielson and Reinbacher, in that order.  

After 8th overall my top 5 are Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Danielson, Moore, and ASP....basically a Centre with solid top 6 potential or a top 4 RHD 

• There it is 1

12 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

After 8th overall my top 5 are Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Danielson, Moore, and ASP....basically a Centre with solid top 6 potential or a top 4 RHD 

I think people's desire for a dman has skewed their view on Reinbacher a bit, but at 10ish, he's in the ballpark, for sure.  I'm still not sure on Dvorsky......he looked good at the WJHC, but he wasn't a dynamic player in that tourney I didn't think.  I liked ASP, but of that list, he'd be the lowest for me.

I think they need C more than D, and they need a natural C, not a guy who might be a C or might be a W in the NHL.  To me, that's more or Danielson.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think people's desire for a dman has skewed their view on Reinbacher a bit, but at 10ish, he's in the ballpark, for sure.  I'm still not sure on Dvorsky......he looked good at the WJHC, but he wasn't a dynamic player in that tourney I didn't think.  I liked ASP, but of that list, he'd be the lowest for me.

I think they need C more than D, and they need a natural C, not a guy who might be a C or might be a W in the NHL.  To me, that's more or Danielson.

I only like Reinbacher from 8-10 and ASP is also last on the list. Agreed on the natural centre though...Moore, Danielson, Dvorsky to me are all going to play Centre...Im also thinking if Benson is there at 8 i wouldnt mind him, he has the hockey IQ where you can shift him to C next year in the WHL and see how well he does

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Very doubtful

Reinbacher

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM

2022-23 Kloten HC Swiss-A 46 3 19 22 26 7 3 1 1 2 2

Seider

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM

2018-19 Mannheim Eagles DEL 29 2 4 6 8 2 14 0 5 5 0

Seider's June draft rankings in 2019 were: 18th, 13th, 9th, 16th, 15th, 16th, 26th, 23rd, 17th, 10th, 15th, 15th from 12 different sources.

• Cheers 2

Really get this feeling that Michkov drops, a lot. The Top 10 is pretty loaded and maybe other GMs won't be willing to take the risk, cold feet when it's their turn. 

RDs are very valuable, and so I think Reinbacher and ASP will go fairly high.

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Smith

5. Benson

6. Reinbacher

7. Moore

8. ASP

9. Dvorsky

10. Michkov

Cristall, Yager, Sale, Leonard, Barlow, Danielson, Ritchie

If they don't get into the Top 3, the Canucks should still have a few good options available. Too bad there aren't more quality RDs. Maybe this year they get a future #2C.

OK, I did a very un-scientific poll, based on 20 individuals on the Capfriendly site, who had posted top 32 - 2023 Draft prospects......very un-scientific!

Here is goes!

1. Bedard  (C) ............the only unanimous pick (Go figure!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Fantilli  (C)

3. Carlsson (C)

4. Michkov (RW)

5. Smith (C)

6. Benson (LW)

7. Dvorsky (C)

8. Sale (RW)

9. Reinbacher (RHD)

10. Pellikka (RHD)

11. Wood (RW)

12. Cristall (LW)

13. Moore (C)

14. Gulyayev (LHD)

15. Leonard (RW)

16. Danielson (C)

17. Dragicevic (RHD)

18. Heidt  (C)

19. Richie (C)

20. Perreault (RW)

21. Musty (LW)

22. Bonk (RHD)

23. Lindstien (LHD)

24. Honzek (LW)

25. Gauthier (RW)

------------------------------------------------------------------------   This was the cut off for players who were all in the top 32..........all others below had 2nd round picks as well

26. Price (LHD)

27. Brindley (C)

28. Stenberg (LW/C)

29. But (LW)

30. Stramel (C)

31. Halttunen (RW)

32. Allen (RHD)

33. Hrabal (G)

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Going the other way - Kasper Halltunen was at #3 and disappeared last fall. Yager was at #4 and dropped. Calum Ritchie was at #5 and dropped as well. Could any of these guys be a dark horse? 

Doesn't matter if they are.  They won't be available in the 3rd or 4tg round for us to take as we don't have supplementary picks...again

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Doesn't matter if they are.  They won't be available in the 3rd or 4tg round for us to take as we don't have supplementary picks...again

20 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's interesting how some players rise in the rankings and some fall.

The MyNHLDraft mock 1st round from last September 2022, never even included Reinbacher. Now he's ranked 12th.

Will Smith was ranked 22nd with Moore at #25 and Leonard at #27, and now they're all in the Top 13.

The consistent Top 10 prospects since September 2022 have been: Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, Carlsson, Benson and Dvorsky. Would love to draft one of them.

Going the other way - Kasper Halltunen was at #3 and disappeared last fall. Yager was at #4 and dropped. Calum Ritchie was at #5 and dropped as well. Could any of these guys be a dark horse? 

These comments only remind me that even at the draft, it is only a snippet in time, and the prospects will develop more afterwards, causing the rankings, and re-drafts, to all recalibrate.

This is why, IMHO, someone like Buttons (not that he is good or accurate) who tries to project his rankings 2 or 3 years in the future, which of course all pro-ranking services do.

The rankings only give you the current ball park area of their final position............exactly how accurate is it really?

6 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

These comments only remind me that even at the draft, it is only a snippet in time, and the prospects will develop more afterwards, causing the rankings, and re-drafts, to all recalibrate.

This is why, IMHO, someone like Buttons (not that he is good or accurate) who tries to project his rankings 2 or 3 years in the future, which of course all pro-ranking services do.

The rankings only give you the current ball park area of their final position............exactly how accurate is it really?

As a trained philosopher who did a lot of work on the concepts of potentiality and actuality, and also by course needed a strong grasp on the boundaries between subjectivity and objectivity, it's very amusing for me to hear fans trying to grapple with these problems as they pertain to hockey prospects without realizing a fraction of exactly how complex the issues are. It helps to understand that specifically what we're dealing with is primarily the intersection between these two philosophical dichotomies - subjective/objective and potential/actual.

All the debates I see on these sites about "why draft BPA because it's just someone's opinion and people get it wrong?"... "but no, we should go not by one person's opinion but the consensus of opinions"... "do we mean opinions of all fans online, or just respected media outlets"... "but wait, who are we talking about here, should we as fans base our opinions of our team's picks on the consensus, or should the team itself base their picks on the consensus?" It doesn't help that I really believe there are trolls around intentionally trying to confuse the issue. I mean absolutely no offense here J.I.A.H.N. but I watch you in particular really seem to struggle with some of these questions. In fact I mean that as a compliment more than anything, that you truly are actually trying to get your head around it but you're just up to your knees in it.

One thing that I like to emphasize as much as possible is that it is not just a matter of opinion. That would only be the case if we completely ignore the potential/actual dichotomy of it and assume that there is no such thing as a future. Right now it is only people's opinions, but time is going to tell us that some of those opinions were better than others, and so it would be idiotic to just ignore that fact and assume all opinions are equal.

More precisely to the point of your post though, it depends who's rankings you're talking about. I think more legitimate scouting sources are more interested in predicting long-term success and could care less if they agree with the consensus or other rankings or the actual draft order. Fans tend to be a lot more short-sighted and are much more just trying to be in agreement with the legitimate sources and to predict the actual draft order.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

More precisely to the point of your post though, it depends who's rankings you're talking about. I think more legitimate scouting sources are more interested in predicting long-term success and could care less if they agree with the consensus or other rankings or the actual draft order. Fans tend to be a lot more short-sighted and are much more just trying to be in agreement with the legitimate sources and to predict the actual draft order.

I could not agree more with this comment. However, it is only a part of the question. feel very strongly, that "IF" I was a GM, I would have my scouts working full time at mining this point. However, I would also enlist a scouting service, to cross reference, my scouts. It would not to be against them, but to enhance them.

In saying that........I do not necessarily believe in BPA. Let me give you some reasons why...................

#1................as of right now, there are few teams that have a abundance RHD. To Draft BPA, then to use that to acquire one of these team best Dmen, is probably a very/extremely over payment type scenario.

Take example, trying to acquire Seider, Clarke, Drystale, Nemec, or Juricek...................all top 10 type RHD.............not a chance you get them, so you are starting out at a lesser type quality RHD to start with, and the cost will be a Mid 1st, and a 2nd...........to start with.........or equivalent. They are just not traded unless you are giving them back something of equal or greater value. Which is huge!

Now to draft the BPA, with the understanding that you may trade it, begs a question to me................why would you do that, knowing that you may not be able to pry the player you are wanting, without a huge overpayment. 

You simply do not know how that player will turn out,  or if he will be of equal or greater value, of the player you want.

But you have a dilemma, which is that you need a solid core RHD............so you have to either over pay, or settle for less, or draft one..............I am not suggesting reaching like Yzerman did, but it does bring a question up...............

You have a race car that needs a right front ty-rod end, but when you shop, there is a steering wheel that is absolutely perfect and is at the perfect price. Why buy the Steering wheel, when you need the ty-rod end to race?

Now, I am not saying we don't need spares, but getting back to the draft..............................

8. Sale (RW)

9. Reinbacher (RHD)

10. Pellikka (RHD)

11. Wood (RW)

12. Cristall (LW)

13. Moore (C)

14. Gulyayev (LHD)

If you are at 12 and you need a RHD............you go after it

If you are at 7 then the reach to Reinbacker and Pellikka is just not far..........

This is of course if your scouts and scouting service agree this is the order of the list, based on projections 2/3 years out.......

As for me, I go  off of lists from Hockey New etc..........I do not have the time, the knowledge, or the interest to go deeper..............I also read yours with interest, but unless you are a professional scout..............then respectfully...........meh!

To make that clear........I am a meh!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Really get this feeling that Michkov drops, a lot. The Top 10 is pretty loaded and maybe other GMs won't be willing to take the risk, cold feet when it's their turn. 

RDs are very valuable, and so I think Reinbacher and ASP will go fairly high.

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Smith

5. Benson

6. Reinbacher

7. Moore

8. ASP

9. Dvorsky

10. Michkov

Cristall, Yager, Sale, Leonard, Barlow, Danielson, Ritchie

If they don't get into the Top 3, the Canucks should still have a few good options available. Too bad there aren't more quality RDs. Maybe this year they get a future #2C.

Depends on Draft order, Chicago, SJ could take him if they are outside the top 3. Arizona would probably take him they could even trade up for him 

5 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Depends on Draft order, Chicago, SJ could take him if they are outside the top 3. Arizona would probably take him they could even trade up for him 

IMO, if Chicago does not get Bedard..............they are going to take Michkov or Fantilli.........................My bet would be Michkov

Nightmare scenario (for fun)

Canucks get the #1. OMG!!!  Canucks fans start planning the parade.

Draft Day arrives and it's time. Allvin steps to the podium and announces "The Vancouver Canucks are proud to select with the 1st overall pick in the 2023 NHL Draft, from Orebro of the Swedish Hockey League, Leo Carlsson.  :frantic:

Allvin: "We really like Carlsson's size and skating and we feel he's going to be a big part of our core moving forward, and we're excited to welcome him to the Vancouver Canucks"  

:lol:  

• Sad 1

How come no one here is considering Dalibor Dvorsky as the guys the nucks should pick? Seen some of the analyst reference him as "200 ft" player currently playing in SHL against men and holding his own. Has "smarts" is "quick" and is a C.. kind of what the nucks are looking for, no? Oh and he's 6'1 and 200lbs already.... so? What gives? Even if he were to spend 1-2 years refining, still seems better than some of the NAM center options around when the nucks will pick. 

Anyway, let's hear it

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, stawns said:

Love Danielson. Think his numbers don't accurately reflect his skill level plus the fact that Brandon is so bad that he has to do everything for that team. He definitely has another level if he were to be surrounded by better teammates. Great skater, likes to carry the puck through the neutral zone, has good vision to spot plays, and has a hard wrist shot. Centres will go off the board quickly so if the Canucks are around 8, 9, 10.. I can see Danielson being the pick along with Reinbacher. I did like Honzek as well, but with the injury he doesn't make sense around the Canucks range. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

As a trained philosopher who did a lot of work on the concepts of potentiality and actuality, and also by course needed a strong grasp on the boundaries between subjectivity and objectivity, it's very amusing for me to hear fans trying to grapple with these problems as they pertain to hockey prospects without realizing a fraction of exactly how complex the issues are. It helps to understand that specifically what we're dealing with is primarily the intersection between these two philosophical dichotomies - subjective/objective and potential/actual.

All the debates I see on these sites about "why draft BPA because it's just someone's opinion and people get it wrong?"... "but no, we should go not by one person's opinion but the consensus of opinions"... "do we mean opinions of all fans online, or just respected media outlets"... "but wait, who are we talking about here, should we as fans base our opinions of our team's picks on the consensus, or should the team itself base their picks on the consensus?" It doesn't help that I really believe there are trolls around intentionally trying to confuse the issue. I mean absolutely no offense here J.I.A.H.N. but I watch you in particular really seem to struggle with some of these questions. In fact I mean that as a compliment more than anything, that you truly are actually trying to get your head around it but you're just up to your knees in it.

One thing that I like to emphasize as much as possible is that it is not just a matter of opinion. That would only be the case if we completely ignore the potential/actual dichotomy of it and assume that there is no such thing as a future. Right now it is only people's opinions, but time is going to tell us that some of those opinions were better than others, and so it would be idiotic to just ignore that fact and assume all opinions are equal.

When you state you are a trained philosopher, do you have a degree, masters or PHD ?

What is your job in real life ?

I am only a flower farmer/ ski-bike- bum however I have been studying/ reading philosophy for close to fifty years.  

I am no closer, probably farther from answering the existential questions that I have asked myself ever since I learnt to think critically. 

Kudos to you for choosing this path in life.

• Like 1