The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

15 hours ago, hammertime said:

Let's hope Button is right and we walk away with Reinbacher and Akey on draft day. 

If you're going by Button, Reinbacher would be a huge off the board pick, and a massive gamble.

21 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Sale seems high…..thoughts?

There are so many talented players that seem to be in the same tier as each other, it's understandable why lists have players all over the place. 

My personal top 15 changes every day, the more I watch game breakdowns and read articles.  It's going to be a wild draft.

Edited by TheQuietQuitter

On 3/24/2023 at 11:29 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Really get this feeling that Michkov drops, a lot. The Top 10 is pretty loaded and maybe other GMs won't be willing to take the risk, cold feet when it's their turn. 

RDs are very valuable, and so I think Reinbacher and ASP will go fairly high.

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Smith

5. Benson

6. Reinbacher

7. Moore

8. ASP

9. Dvorsky

10. Michkov

Cristall, Yager, Sale, Leonard, Barlow, Danielson, Ritchie

If they don't get into the Top 3, the Canucks should still have a few good options available. Too bad there aren't more quality RDs. Maybe this year they get a future #2C.

I feel the majority of players you listed would be 2 to 3 years away from making the NHL anyways, so waiting on Michkov could be tolerable to the right team.  Chicago maybe?

After reviewing Button's list, it becomes quite clear we need(ed) to have a lot more draft capital. Hopefully we can move some players for picks in the 2nd/3rd round. 

My list: 

Bedard

Fantili

Carlsson

Michkov 

Smith 

Benson 

Reinbacher

Moore

Dvorsky

Danielsson

Sandin-Pellika 

Yager 

Barlow

Wood

Simashev 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

After reviewing Button's list, it becomes quite clear we need(ed) to have a lot more draft capital. Hopefully we can move some players for picks in the 2nd/3rd round. 

My list: 

Bedard

Fantili

Carlsson

Michkov 

Smith 

Benson 

Reinbacher

Moore

Dvorsky

Danielsson

Sandin-Pellika 

Yager 

Barlow

Wood

Simashev 

Benson, Reinbacher, Moore, Dvorsky, and Danielsson should be were the focus is on at this point

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Seannnp said:

My list: 

Bedard

Fantili

Carlsson

Michkov 

Smith 

Benson 

Reinbacher

Moore

Dvorsky

Danielsson

Sandin-Pellika 

Yager 

Barlow

Wood

Simashev 

This is a solid list. I’ve got one on my notes app on my phone that I’m regularly tweaking, and my current top ten list is actually almost identical to yours lol! The only difference is that I have Barlow in the 10 spot. I would not be upset if we drafted Danielson though. 

• Like 1

Interesting that they have Simashev as the top d in the draft, though Reinbacker and ASP right there as well.  All three right where Van will pick.  The more I read about Simashev, the better he looks and the more I think he'd be the bet dman pick for Van.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Interesting that they have Simashev as the top d in the draft, though Reinbacker and ASP right there as well.  All three right where Van will pick.  The more I read about Simashev, the better he looks and the more I think he'd be the bet dman pick for Van.

Simashev and Reinbacher are 1A and 1b on my list. Simashev however is 6'4, can skate, plays a complete game. The only "downside" is he is a leftie but honestly who cares, in 4 years he and Hughes anchoring their own pairing would basically give us two top pairings 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

49 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

Simashev and Reinbacher are 1A and 1b on my list. Simashev however is 6'4, can skate, plays a complete game. The only "downside" is he is a leftie but honestly who cares, in 4 years he and Hughes anchoring their own pairing would basically give us two top pairings 

With hronek, johansson, juulsen, Myers, woo and hirose at rhd, I'm not too worried about what side they play.  I like simashev for the size and the better defensive game than Reinbacher.........they've got plenty of offense with Hughes and hronek and Johansson, they need a guy like Sim who might be a shutdown kind of D.

The hronek deal definitely changed the way to think about the dcorp

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, stawns said:

With hronek, johansson, juulsen, Myers, woo and hirose at rhd, I'm not too worried about what side they play.  I like simashev for the size and the better defensive game than Reinbacher.........they've got plenty of offense with Hughes and hronek and Johansson, they need a guy like Sim who might be a shutdown kind of D.

The hronek deal definitely changed the way to think about the dcorp

I’ve heard some scouts who think Simashev hasn’t had the opportunity to really show his offensive potential this year and there could be more there. Some guys are crazy high on him I’ve not seen him play so I have no idea.

and Hirose is a LHD I’m pretty sure 

• There it is 1

Funny idea -

bedards agent and JR/PA may be having Background talks about how to get bedard to VAN…

so he gets picked 1st OA by team X, let’s say CBJ or CHI

he says he won’t play for anyone except VAN

he threatens to sit out? Or go to Europe 

team X has to trade him to us then (the Lindros move- except I think Lindros would go anywhere just not Quebec ?)

what do we give up to consummate this trade ?

1st 2023 +???

all our 2023 and 2024 picks? Hogs?podz?

Hughes Johansson

Simashev Hronek 

Hirose ???? 

Hughes Reinbacher

???? Hronek 

Hirose Johansson 

Hughes Johansson

Hirose Hronek 

????  Sandin-Pelikka

We would need one additional bonafide top 4 (LHD or RHD depending on who we draft). 

Which option does everyone go with 1,2, or 3? 

5 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Funny idea -

bedards agent and JR/PA may be having Background talks about how to get bedard to VAN…

so he gets picked 1st OA by team X, let’s say CBJ or CHI

he says he won’t play for anyone except VAN

he threatens to sit out? Or go to Europe 

team X has to trade him to us then (the Lindros move- except I think Lindros would go anywhere just not Quebec ?)

what do we give up to consummate this trade ?

1st 2023 +???

all our 2023 and 2024 picks? Hogs?podz?

pettersson and hughes +

• Like 1

12 hours ago, R3aL said:

I’ve heard some scouts who think Simashev hasn’t had the opportunity to really show his offensive potential this year and there could be more there. Some guys are crazy high on him I’ve not seen him play so I have no idea.

and Hirose is a LHD I’m pretty sure 

its a small sampling of course but what i saw, simashev was throwing the puck around like the giraffe, ie: give-away machine.

danielson also can be seen making some very reckless passes to the opponent. if we're getting rid of boesser, garland and beau which would enable the milstien factor and we get gavrikov and barbishev free of charge then we have to pick one of the high end offensive talents in our range, ie: leonard. im not completely sold on rienbacher and would be more inclined to load up on d a little later in the draft especially if we can get some picks for the above mentioned trio 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:20 AM, TheQuietQuitter said:

I feel the majority of players you listed would be 2 to 3 years away from making the NHL anyways, so waiting on Michkov could be tolerable to the right team.  Chicago maybe?

No. Chicago needs players close to ready now cuz the market has always been fickle there.

• Cheers 1