The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

16 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

seems like every scouting org has a different ranking.  here is Dobber Prospects Final Rankings and it's pretty interesting T100-2023FinalRankings-1024x714.png

Really like the undersized wingers except for perreault

everyones rankings are all over the place lol  

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Fair point. When does it come out?

think it’s the draft week or just before. He usually gets it as close to the draft as possible and it’s 14 inside scouts or so I believe so a pretty decent insight into the leagues rankings 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bob McKenzie’s top 12 draft lottery list came out May 5…

https://www.tsn.ca/plenty-of-intrigue-after-connor-bedard-in-bob-mckenzie-s-nhl-draft-lottery-edition-ranking-1.1956585

1. Connor Bedard

2. Adam Fantilli

3. Will Smith

4. Leo Carlsson

5. Matvei Michkov

6. Dalibor Dvorsky

7. Ryan Leonard

8. Zach Benson

9. Gabe Perreault

10. David Reinbacher

11. Colby Barlow

12. Matthew Wood

There were five others who received multiple votes from scouts as Top 12 prospects, including at least one vote each in the Top 10.

In alphabetical order, they were: Brandon Wheat King centre Nate Danielson (No. 15 at mid-season); Vancouver Giant left winger Samuel Honzek (No. 19 at mid-season); U.S. U-18 centre Oliver Moore (No. 11 at mid-season); Swedish defenceman Axel Sandin-Pellikka (No. 17 at mid-season) and Moose Jaw Warrior centre Brayden Yager (No. 7 at mid-season).

TSN’s final 2023 Draft Rankings of 80+ prospects will be released in June, a week prior to the June 28-29 draft.

I’d be totally cool if the draft went this way until we pick at 11.  Then I am sure Allvin would take Wood over Barlow…

If the draft went down like that and we're at 11 with Barlow and Moore still up on the board I'm taking Moore.  

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

For myself yes if I we're running the team I would operate like Petey and Hughes are going to be here long term and our best chances will probably be in 2-4 years. Once the crap cap is off the books we will have a legit chance to compete on an even playing field with other teams. It will also give time for our top prospects to mature. I wouldn't make poor near sighted decisions to suit the possible wishes of two young players who are under contract. If at some point either of them don't like the direction and want out I'd deal with it then and take a high price in return. I think that's the only way to run a team. You have to build together with every one pulling their share without cutting corners and minimizing overall team strength.

We'll see if it's playoffs or bust this year. Realistically I think that approach would be the wrong one.

The point being what signal does it send to Petey prior to his contract extension, that we drop our 2C and one of the few, who actually battles, for draft picks? 

Demko like wise... 

If I am Petey, and want win hockey games and be the best I can be, I will think long and hard about, when I MAY get the opportunity to do just that. Will I wish my life away, or will I try to go to a contender, or a team that actually has these players you mention in the system already.

I often hear, the team that contend don't have the cap space, but that didn't stop Florida from signing Tkachuk.

Or how about a team like Chicago or Ducks? They may already have the funds available to sign Petey in two years, while they are rebuilding.

Petey may opt to sign here on a short term contract only, if he feels this is going nowhere, and let it be known, that he fancy a switch to team that may soon contend.

Alternatively, he may think, I'll stay, but if that's the level of interest they show, then I want to get paid, big time... 

I think, the rebuild should have happen a few years ago (actually way back, when Gillis said so), but we when got Miller in (a fabulous trade, but at the wrong time) it was never gonna happen. We would have been so much further ahead, had we sucked another year or two only...

Now we are, where we are, and we try and get the best out of the horses, we have.... 

If we want to rebuild and let go of Miller, we may as well go full Monty, strip it down to the bones, while there is value to be had, and get loads of 1st and 2nd and try to build a team, where they all come up at once.

We have a lot of valuable pieces atm, and the question is if we can build a team around them. I think that is possible... I takes 1-2 years to get rid of the dodgy contracts, and in that time we should have a few cheap Ds in the team, as well as supporting cast from below, so yes I am confident, it can be done.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

There’s a reason why top 6 powerforwards are so rare. Podkolzin is unlikely to develop to that level.

Caufield was always a safe bet to put up points, same with Benson. Can’t afford to take another bottom 6 forward with a top 10-11 pick.

How old is Podz? Klim? 

Why do we expect Power forwards to have reached their peak at 20-22? He may never become, what people hope for, but lots of picks doesn't and yet becomes valuable pieces... I still think, its far to early to write Podz off.... just like Klim and Hogs.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The point being what signal does it send to Petey prior to his contract extension, that we drop our 2C and one of the few, who actually battles, for draft picks? 

Demko like wise... 

If I am Petey, and want win hockey games and be the best I can be, I will think long and hard about, when I MAY get the opportunity to do just that. Will I wish my life away, or will I try to go to a contender, or a team that actually has these players you mention in the system already.

I often hear, the team that contend don't have the cap space, but that didn't stop Florida from signing Tkachuk.

Or how about a team like Chicago or Ducks? They may already have the funds available to sign Petey in two years, while they are rebuilding.

Petey may opt to sign here on a short term contract only, if he feels this is going nowhere, and let it be known, that he fancy a switch to team that may soon contend.

Alternatively, he may think, I'll stay, but if that's the level of interest they show, then I want to get paid, big time... 

I think, the rebuild should have happen a few years ago (actually way back, when Gillis said so), but we when got Miller in (a fabulous trade, but at the wrong time) it was never gonna happen. We would have been so much further ahead, had we sucked another year or two only...

Now we are, where we are, and we try and get the best out of the horses, we have.... 

If we want to rebuild and let go of Miller, we may as well go full Monty, strip it down to the bones, while there is value to be had, and get loads of 1st and 2nd and try to build a team, where they all come up at once.

We have a lot of valuable pieces atm, and the question is if we can build a team around them. I think that is possible... I takes 1-2 years to get rid of the dodgy contracts, and in that time we should have a few cheap Ds in the team, as well as supporting cast from below, so yes I am confident, it can be done.

That would require something this organization has lacked since seemingly it's inception. Patients 

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

As much as this makes me happy I feel like we aren’t going to even have the choice of taking Willander. I just have this feeling Detroit is gonna draft him before us. And winning those extra games will burn a little since we need a guy like Willander in the system so bad.

It wouldn’t be the end of the world though imagine a draft where all three RHD go before our pick lol

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Smith

Michkov

Reinbacher

Leonard

Dvorsky

Willander

ASP

-

Leaving 1 of: Danielson/Wood/Benson/Simashev for us (Moore if your high on him)

no matter what we are leaving the draft with someone we should feel good about

I hope not. I really like Willander as our pick, I agree we desperately need a player like this.

I honestly have idea what to expect, I think Smith to SJ makes sense at 4, & I'd guess Reinbacher to Montreal at 5. Michkov could come in at one of those picks too but those guys would be my guesses, and after that I have absolutely no clue.

I think you could make a case for like 15 guys to be potential top 10 picks & I would expect the team's lists to be all over the place.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Danielson is in alot of top 10's (and goes top 10), Dvorsky is definitely top 10 I'd think, Barlow & Leonard are hard nosed scoring wingers that I think teams really really covet - both could go top 10. Benson's obviously polarizing but he's going to be in some teams top 10's. Then the defensemen in ASP, Willander & Simashev. And other forwards like Sale, Moore, Wood will be high on some teams lists too. 

Fingers crossed we get a great player that we need. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, R3aL said:

As much as this makes me happy I feel like we aren’t going to even have the choice of taking Willander. I just have this feeling Detroit is gonna draft him before us. And winning those extra games will burn a little since we need a guy like Willander in the system so bad.

It wouldn’t be the end of the world though imagine a draft where all three RHD go before our pick lol

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Smith

Michkov

Reinbacher

Leonard

Dvorsky

Willander

ASP

-

Leaving 1 of: Danielson/Wood/Benson/Simashev for us (Moore if your high on him)

no matter what we are leaving the draft with someone we should feel good about

I feel like the Wings need to take a swing on somebody that has high upside though. They don't have an equivalent to a Petey or a Hughes in their system. Something has to give in Detroit. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Watching some of the U18 games again. I'm getting the hype with Willander.

He has a physical edge to him, really strong along the walls & likes to play the body, a real pain in the ass to play against. He's good at containing an attacker along the wall, establishing body position, & taking the puck away - then getting away with his feet or finding the open pass quickly. Against the Americans he was taking the body any chance he could & knocking their top guys over. 

He's a heads up player with & without the puck. Defensively he's aware of his check off the puck & when he gets the puck he's not afraid to take that extra split second under pressure to make the right play, plus he's got the excellent skating ability to carry it when he needs too but alot of times he'll just make the right pass. 

Maybe a Tanev-type defensive player with a physical game, his defensive details are great already. Offensively he handles the puck really well & like I said can pass well. Its not his bread & butter atm but I understand the thought he has room for improvement. He very clearly has puck skills & smarts.

He scored a nice goal PP goal against Canada from the point where he made it seem like he was going to pass, but he had his head up & instead ripped a wrister through traffic that caught the goalie off guard.

How much would Tanev be worth this organisation just about now? What a great pick up he was.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I hope not. I really like Willander as our pick, I agree we desperately need a player like this.

I honestly have idea what to expect, I think Smith to SJ makes sense at 4, & I'd guess Reinbacher to Montreal at 5. Michkov could come in at one of those picks too but those guys would be my guesses, and after that I have absolutely no clue.

I think you could make a case for like 15 guys to be potential top 10 picks & I would expect the team's lists to be all over the place.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Danielson is in alot of top 10's (and goes top 10), Dvorsky is definitely top 10 I'd think, Barlow & Leonard are hard nosed scoring wingers that I think teams really really covet - both could go top 10. Benson's obviously polarizing but he's going to be in some teams top 10's. Then the defensemen in ASP, Willander & Simashev. And other forwards like Sale, Moore, Wood will be high on some teams lists too. 

Fingers crossed we get a great player that we need. 

the other exciting part for Willander is:

not just the green line rivalry vs Boston college and the super star national program line and the battles they will have.

BUT

1. he may partner with Lane Hutson which could give a taste of what a Hughes-Willander duo would be like since Lane Hutson had a monster season and could be very Quinn Hughes like in college next year. He’s looking very good.

2. macklin Celebrini is there and the whole hockey world will be following the team. They could have a massive year and it’s a pretty talented lineup to be a part of 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

How old is Podz? Klim? 

Why do we expect Power forwards to have reached their peak at 20-22? He may never become, what people hope for, but lots of picks doesn't and yet becomes valuable pieces... I still think, its far to early to write Podz off.... just like Klim and Hogs.

I like Pods and Klim too. I think Klim took a massive step this year but draft prospects aren't a sure thing, it was just a few years ago the Canucks boasted one of the very best prospect pools in the NHL with sure-fire up and coming stars like Johnathan Dahlen and Adam Gaudette. Palmu had just won rookie of the year as did Dahlen and Gaudette won the hobby Baker.  Mikey DePietro was named Most Outstanding Goaltender in the CHL in 2016-17 and won OHL Goaltender of the following year.  Out of our highly touted prospect pool only Hughes and Petey have panned out.

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I feel like the Wings need to take a swing on somebody that has high upside though. They don't have an equivalent to a Petey or a Hughes in their system. Something has to give in Detroit. 

I mean if Willndee is a a hit they’d have a prett elite top 3 in seider edvinsson Willander 

and a big mobile blueline looks key to playoff success

I could see them drafting 

dvorksy / Simashev / Willander 

9 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Man some have Reinbacher at 20 and some at 5 some have ASP at 5 and some at 20. I have seen Cristal at 5-6 and some at 30. Who actually has a good track record at these prospect rankings? Anyone know and trust?

Jim Benning Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

The Canucks most pressing need is centre depth.  At one point is was a rhd but with the additions of Bear, McWard, Hronek and Woo taking a massive step and Johansson playing well in the SHL, it's not our #1 urgency anymore.  The Canucks desperately need some blue chip centre depth in their prospects pool.  My targets would be Moore, Danielson or Dvorsky in the 1st round and Wahlberg in the 3rd round  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

8 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Thanks for posting this - super helpful. 

According to this, the average (recent) rankings of the players the Canucks spent extra time with at the combine were:

Benson (6.6)  

Barlow (15.83) 

Danielson (18.83)

Wood (19.92)

Willander (26.42) 

While each of these prospects have appeared in the top 10 of at least one ranking, the average ranking amongst this group is about 17. 

Are we looking seriously at trading down? Or does this reflect who we expect to be there at 11?

For those that follow the draft more closely, does this tip their hand at where they are planning to pick?

Think it is more an indication of, how close this group of picks (8-16) are, and that the maturity/brain may be the deciding factor in, who to take...

Also regarding Wilander do these outlets have as good a read on him, as Gradin and his Swedish scouting net work does? They didn't quite with Petey did they?

Canucks may have an inside track on Wilander, thus being higher on him... I

f they see him as Tanev, I would not be against that at all....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

The Canucks most pressing need is centre depth.  At one point is was a rhd but with the additions of Bear McWard and Hronek and Woo taking a massive step it's not our #1 urgency anymore.  The Canucks desperately need some blue chip centre depth in their prospects pool.  My targets would be Moore or Dvorsky in the 1st round and Wahlberg in the 3rd round  

I would put Danielson in that category without blinking an eye. 

21 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Man some have Reinbacher at 20 and some at 5 some have ASP at 5 and some at 20. I have seen Cristal at 5-6 and some at 30. Who actually has a good track record at these prospect rankings? Anyone know and trust?

When Bob McKenzie comes out with his final rankings that will give a much better feel for what scouts are thinking.  he takes the consensus of many scouts 

• Like 1