The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

On 11/15/2022 at 6:39 PM, HighOnHockey said:

Who do you have in mind for '24? Obviously Kiviharju and Mews, but nobody else really jumps out at me as a clear top 10. I liked Danford and Parekh from the U17s games I watched. The couple Swedes are intriguing too, Olsson and Freij.

But also, there's certain to be a couple defensemen end up going in the top 10 or 15 this year. Just a matter of figuring out who.

Macklin Cellibrini

I'd even draft his brother right now Aiden.

Both Van boys, both come from good stock

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Macklin Cellibrini

Im currently on the Macklin bandwagon. Radio was talking about how good he looked and him and Bedard are clearly kids inspired by the Vancouver Canucks led by the sedins.

Imagine two drafts back to back first overalls from our area.. crazy

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Im currently on the Macklin bandwagon. Radio was talking about how good he looked and him and Bedard are clearly kids inspired by the Vancouver Canucks led by the sedins.

the league would see vancouver heading towards the bottom of the standings and absolutely change the rules 2 days before the lottery if Vancouver wins Bedard

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Probably get a cap penalty too why not

With the first pick of the 2024 NHL Entry Draft, the league has penalized the Canucks who forfeit their pick and the selection will be made for picks 1 and 2 by the Arizona Bettma...err the Gary Coyotes

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Macklin Cellibrini

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I caught a few games of the U17s. Lots to like about Celebrini but I don't know if I'd put him top 5 at this particular tournament. I would probably put the top 5 players as 1. James Hagens 2. Cole Eiserman 3. Henry Mews 4. Berkly Catton 5. Cole Hutson.

But beyond that yeah Celebrini, Misa, Spence, Martone, Humphries would be the next tier. Celebrini and Spence might not have the skill or hockey IQ of a Hagens or Catton, but their size and power games will make them highly sought after by teams at the draft. Eiserman takes it to another level though; again not quite the same level of hockey IQ as Catton or Hagens, but his raw physical tools are unlike very many prospects we've seen in recent years - comparable to a Mirshnichenko or Matthews.

For D, Hutson was phenomenal but not sure what kind of prospect he'll be at 5'8. Mews was unbelievable. I remember watching this tournament in 2019 and being in awe of Brandt Clarke, and I think Mews is even better. The combination of 200 foot hockey IQ, skill and physical presence is so rare. 8 points in 6 games and he threw some bone crunching hits. Kid is going to go very early in that draft.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I caught a few games of the U17s. Lots to like about Celebrini but I don't know if I'd put him top 5 at this particular tournament. I would probably put the top 5 players as 1. James Hagens 2. Cole Eiserman 3. Henry Mews 4. Berkly Catton 5. Cole Hutson.

But beyond that yeah Celebrini, Misa, Spence, Martone, Humphries would be the next tier. Celebrini and Spence might not have the skill or hockey IQ of a Hagens or Catton, but their size and power games will make them highly sought after by teams at the draft. Eiserman takes it to another level though; again not quite the same level of hockey IQ as Catton or Hagens, but his raw physical tools are unlike very many prospects we've seen in recent years - comparable to a Mirshnichenko or Matthews.

For D, Hutson was phenomenal but not sure what kind of prospect he'll be at 5'8. Mews was unbelievable. I remember watching this tournament in 2019 and being in awe of Brandt Clarke, and I think Mews is even better. The combination of 200 foot hockey IQ, skill and physical presence is so rare. 8 points in 6 games and he threw some bone crunching hits. Kid is going to go very early in that draft.

Isn't Misa 2025?

What about Kiviharju?  Isn't he the established top defenseman next year?

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Isn't Misa 2025?

What about Kiviharju?  Isn't he the established top defenseman next year?

Yeah Misa is 2025. So are James Hagens, Malcolm Spence and Jordan Gavin. But the latter are late birthday '06. Misa is the only one who was actually a full under-age. One of the better players at this tournament but not one of the very best. Comparing to other recent under-agers at this tournament Savoie and Wright, I thought Misa looked quite a bit better than Savoie did, and roughly comparable to Wright. I recall Wright being more mature, both physically and in terms of 200 foot hockey sense. Misa looks more offensively gifted and creative than Wright did. But Misa was a deer in the headlights against that USA top line. I thought Catton was the only one on Canada Red's top line that was able to hold his own against them. I know, I know, it's a long way out and all the hype around Misa and he is a year behind in development, but after watching them go head to head twice, it's hard to imagine Misa is the better prospect than Hagens for 2025.

And yeah Kiviharju is my guy for 2024. He wasn't at this tournament though; I believe he was at the U20 tournament going on at the same time. TSN did the broadcast of the U17s gold medal game and Button said he thinks Eiserman is hands down the best player he's seen for 2024. I'm not convinced Button actually watched the whole tournament except for the games TSN did. I thought it should be clear to anyone who watched that Hagens was the driving force on that line. That kid is absolutely sensational. Not to say Eiserman was a passenger by any means, but neither one of them would have broken the tournament scoring record without the other (they both did). So yeah, obviously way to early for a 2024 ranking but just for shits and giggles I'll put it Kiviharju, Eiserman, Mews, Demidov, Catton, Celebrini.

Edited by HighOnHockey

Just now, Devron said:

8 more years and he’ll be a Canuck 

100%

Like former BC greats that said they'd love to play at home such as Sakic, Yzerman, Neidermeyer :P

That would be our luck.  Miss the playoffs this year, don't place high enough to worry about the lottery and have a chance to sign him as a UFA at $15+ million when we're still a cap team and just needing to tinker to get over the hump ;) 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

100%

Like former BC greats that said they'd love to play at home such as Sakic, Yzerman, Neidermeyer :P

That would be our luck.  Miss the playoffs this year, don't place high enough to worry about the lottery and have a chance to sign him as a UFA at $15+ million when we're still a cap team and just needing to tinker to get over the hump ;) 

Haha 

Were those guys huge Canuck fans though?