The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Russians and some who didn't participate in the U18s or World Championships: (Bedard is the exception)

Michkov

Benson

Danielson

Yager

Gulyeyev

But

Simashev

Do they all drop on Draft Day?  It's easy to rank the players now, but when it comes time to use your precious pick on a player, they better get it right. I can see most GMs taking the safe pick (e.g. taking Smith, Leonard or Dvorsky over Michkov, for example)  

I can see Smith going before Michkov at 4 overall but no scout or team has Leonard and Dvorsky above Michkov, that kid is coming in 3 years just entering his prime on a cheap contract

Edited by NorthWest_Express
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if they move the pick it will be to gain cap space and they will probably use the 2nd pick to move another contract. allvin said that was his job to move out cap and to build a team tougher to play against.

The only way I can stomach going from 11 to 19 is if the contract going out is OEL and Canucks management believes Willander is there at 19

49 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

These guys are likely gone by #11:

Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, Michkov, Dvorsky, Leonard, Reinbacher, Sandin Pellikka

Some Options:

Line 1:  Wood - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki

Line 1:  Benson - Pettersson - (somebody tough)

Line 1:  Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Barlow

Line 2:  Miller - Moore - Miklheyev (some speed here with Mo and Mik)

Line 3:  McDonough - Danielson - Karlsson (If they keep Miller, then I'm not sure when the prospect will have the chance to take over the #2C spot, if he ever becomes good enough to do that. He's not as good as Moore. Designated as #3C)

If in fact those 9 guys are gone before 11 that means one of Benson, Sale, Moore, Danielson, Wood are available and all are top 6 caliber prospects

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NorthWest_Express said:

The only way I can stomach going from 11 to 19 is if the contract going out is OEL and Canucks management believes Willander is there at 19

DET has 3 2nd round picks including the one the Canucks traded.  I wonder if the Canucks could move back to #17, get their 2nd back and perhaps move a player in the process?  Stevie Y is as shrewd as they come tho.

7 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I've seen a lot of scouts compare Benson to Point. Still not sold personally, but grabbing a Brayden Point would be a hell of a player at 11.

Point isn’t really a good comparison since point is clearly  a C and one of his strengths is his skating / speed. Early in the year I thought maybe but it’s just not in my opinion.

im not saying benson is slow, but it’s not a differentiating strength like it is for point. 

I think a blend of Marner / Gallagher or even Marchand is a better comp for Benson.

have to also think Benson will need to

physically mature to be his most effective version of himself.

i do not see him staying Garlands weight at the next level. @hammertime has compared him to garland. And at their current weight and their motor that’s maybe better comp than Point too for me. But I do think Benson has a more translatable game than Garland. And if he can add weight to his frame like a Marchand it could be exciting. 

I do think benson will be an NHL winger like Marner not a C. One that kills penalties, can be used in all situations. 

i do think he’s an nhl player and has the IQ, skill and work ethic to overcome his size.

I’ll understand if he drops in the draft but he’s really hard to pass on. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

These guys are likely gone by #11:

Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, Michkov, Dvorsky, Leonard, Reinbacher, Sandin Pellikka

Some Options:

Line 1:  Wood - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki

Line 1:  Benson - Pettersson - (somebody tough)

Line 1:  Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Barlow

Line 2:  Miller - Moore - Miklheyev (some speed here with Mo and Mik)

Line 3:  McDonough - Danielson - Karlsson (If they keep Miller, then I'm not sure when the prospect will have the chance to take over the #2C spot, if he ever becomes good enough to do that. He's not as good as Moore. Designated as #3C)

I’m not so sure. I’ve heard so much that internal teams scouts are pretty high on Simashev and Barlow. 

Bobs final aggregate list form his teams scouts will be helpful I think in starting to have a better idea of who will be there at 11. But this draft could be absolutely filled with surprises.

1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

I like them both as well, but Willander screams future top 4 d to me.  RH as well.  Going to be a really solid player imo

Reinbacher and ASP have proven them selves against men and a the WJC. Willander just doesnt seem to have as high of ceiling as the other two. 

I hope by the end of Draft Day 1, I'll be going "Wow, I can't believe he fell to the Canucks!"

Some teams picking ahead will go off the board, ARI and DET possibly. Maybe even CBJ. 

Wood had a really strong U18 tournament, and he might go high. Possible that Barlow, Perreault, Ritchie, Stenberg and Lindstein go earlier as well.  All had a good tournament.   

I think Benson is there at #11.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I hope by the end of Draft Day 1, I'll be going "Wow, I can't believe he fell to the Canucks!"

Some teams picking ahead will go off the board, ARI and DET possibly. Maybe even CBJ. 

Wood had a really strong U18 tournament, and he might go high. Possible that Barlow, Perreault, Ritchie, Stenberg and Lindstein go earlier as well.  All had a good tournament.   

If we have a shot at Benson, there is no world in which we should trade pick #11

We can trade literally any other years pick, but Benson is a top-3 calibre prospect in an average draft. I dont know how many more shots we're going to get to surround Petey with young top-line calibre talent. This is probably the last one for a while I think - with Demko healthy we are not going to be picking high the next few years.

If he hits his ceiling, imagine putting him on Miller's wing with a speedster/forechecker like mikheyev on the other. That line would be insane. 

35 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Reinbacher and ASP have proven them selves against men and a the WJC. Willander just doesnt seem to have as high of ceiling as the other two. 

Youre right about ceiling in terms of offence, ASP looks like a Swedish Hughes while Willander plays more of a mature 2 way game.  TW does have skills though.  

The big question is how do they project at the pro level.  I could see Willander being more of an all situations player versus ASP.  And my hope is the Canucks can trade back a bit (say top 15/16) and still draft him but who knows.

Either way, some good options for the Canucks it looks like.

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

***my bad I was thinking of something else. ASP was playing in the SHL this year.  

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I really want Wood so he will be gone by our pick.

lol

i want to feel the same way though.

and it’s really important to me that our player turns out better than detroits pick just before us at 9 that would be great 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

If we have a shot at Benson, there is no world in which we should trade pick #11

We can trade literally any other years pick, but Benson is a top-3 calibre prospect in an average draft. I dont know how many more shots we're going to get to surround Petey with young top-line calibre talent. This is probably the last one for a while I think - with Demko healthy we are not going to be picking high the next few years.

If he hits his ceiling, imagine putting him on Miller's wing with a speedster/forechecker like mikheyev on the other. That line would be insane. 

I do think Benson-Miller-Mikehyev as a line combo would work very well in 2 years or whenever he was ready 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

if they move the pick it will be to gain cap space and they will probably use the 2nd pick to move another contract. allvin said that was his job to move out cap and to build a team tougher to play against.

Cheers Joe. 
You are likely right in the 2nd may be used to move cap with. 
I just hope we don't end up in a situation, where all our chips goes to open up cap space, as we really need a few gems to come through the system over the next few years. 

They may still be able to swing a trade involving one of the expensive wingers without using the family silver. At least thats my hope. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

Assuming Michkov and Wood are gone - I would be good with Benson in a Canucks uni. Elite skill and smarts. Seems like the kind of kid you pull for, and he gives his all. Lots of exciting goals.

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Boeser (maybe Brock has a bounce back year)

Benson - Miller - Mikheyev

Hoglander - ? - Podkolzin

trade Garland and Beauvillier

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Assuming Michkov and Wood are gone - I would be good with Benson in a Canucks uni. Elite skill and smarts. Seems like the kind of kid you pull for, and he gives his all. Lots of exciting goals.

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Boeser (maybe Brock has a bounce back year)

Benson - Miller - Mikheyev

Hoglander - ? - Podkolzin

trade Garland and Beauvillier

i'ld prefer it being garland and myers, even if it's after his bonus is paid. that would be a good start.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

"IF" we are going to keep our 11th, which IMHO we should , we need to find that larger, pain in the arse, driver. (In the Tkachuk, Bennett vain) Some one who drives play and fights for pucks hard. Yes, we need a RHD, and yes we need a 2nd line center..........(8 years from now!) So, if it is a forward, I want that guy! This is the draft where, because of the depth of the draft, you may be able to get a guy like that. (Leonard, Barlow, Wood, Honzek......kinda in that order?. Not sure :wacko:)

It is when we get into the RHD discussion that I am torn..........ASP over Reinbacher? I just don't know?

Reinbacher will pretty surely be gone by the Canucks pick. If they were going to pick a D at 11 I'd prefer Strbak to Sandin-Pellikka, but would probably rather take a forward at that point.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

Point isn’t really a good comparison since point is clearly  a C and one of his strengths is his skating / speed. Early in the year I thought maybe but it’s just not in my opinion.

im not saying benson is slow, but it’s not a differentiating strength like it is for point. 

I think a blend of Marner / Gallagher or even Marchand is a better comp for Benson.

have to also think Benson will need to

physically mature to be his most effective version of himself.

i do not see him staying Garlands weight at the next level. @hammertime has compared him to garland. And at their current weight and their motor that’s maybe better comp than Point too for me. But I do think Benson has a more translatable game than Garland. And if he can add weight to his frame like a Marchand it could be exciting. 

I do think benson will be an NHL winger like Marner not a C. One that kills penalties, can be used in all situations. 

i do think he’s an nhl player and has the IQ, skill and work ethic to overcome his size.

I’ll understand if he drops in the draft but he’s really hard to pass on. 

Re Garland Benson comparison. Mostly in the sense that they are both high motor hard on pucks players who compete in every area. However struggle in tight checking contests and thrive in scrambles. 

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Re Garland Benson comparison. Mostly in the sense that they are both high motor hard on pucks players who compete in every area. However struggle in tight checking contests and thrive in scrambles. 

Ya I was saying I think that’s a better comparison by you than that of benson to point 

i do think a more physically developed benson could thrive in tight checking games though 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Reinbacher is more NHL ready and someone the Wings know would fit the exact mold of what they're trying to build.  Could easily see it

Seems almost fated if you ask me. Washington probably takes Michkov, and if Philly is still trying to build a "John Torterella team" that would mean Barlow or Leonard for them, so Reinbacher should be there. I said in my mock draft a couple years ago that I was convinced Lucas Raymond was a stud and Hakan Andersson would see that, so Detroit would pick him at 4. This year I'm saying Sandin-Pellikka is not all that, and I think Hakan Andersson will see that and they go Reinbacher at 9.

1. Chicago - Connor Bedard - Obviously

2. Anaheim - Adam Fantilli - Bruce Franklin has a long history drafting out of USHL and NTDP. Will Smith could make sense here, but Fantilli seems consensus BPA.

3. Columbus - Leo Carlsson - If there is one GM who does not have a rich and storied history drafting NTDP, it is Kekkalainen. Michkov is a strong possibility here, but Carlsson seems the most logical choice.

4. San Jose - Dalibor Dvorsky - Mike Grier is a rookie GM, but head scouting director Chris Morehouse has some history to go off. Morehouse was Kekalainen's head scout when they picked Tarasov, Marchenko, Chinakhov so Michkov could be possible here too, but given the difficulties Grier has already had signing Chmelevski, I'm betting he steers clear of the Russian here. Not much history for Morehouse out of the NTDP either.

5. Montreal - Will Smith

6. Arizona - Nate Danielson - Tampa picked out of CHL with almost every single first round pick of Plandowski's tenure there. I was thinking Barlow initially, but Danielson seems like the guy here.

7. Philadelphia - Ryan Leonard - Brent Flahr played a role in building the heavy Minnesota Wild we see today. He also has a long and successful history with the NTDP.

8. Washington - Matvei Michkov

9. Detroit - David Reinbacher

10. St Louis - Matthew Wood - Head scout Tony Feltrin is a Vancouver Island native, so I'd be surprised if Wood falls any further than this.

11. Vancouver - Samuel Honzek - Todd Harvey is the head scout, but when the GM has a background in amateur scouting, they'll tend to have a major say in early draft picks. Allvin never had a lot of early picks in Pittsburgh, and didn't have great success with the picks he had. Europeans via the CHL seems to be his specialty.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Sad 1