The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

11 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Stop hurting yourself with thinking of these scenarios... Those picks are gone. 

We will get instant gratification instead ;)

As Canucks fans we have grown accustom to the pain. 

tom hardy film GIF

First two picks were great, seemed to fall off the rails a bit after that. Maybe overthinking some of their picks. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Always interesting hearing why they think their prospects are worthy of a pick. Everybody from round 4 on was, "yeah, not where you want them to be yet but we think they'll get better" lol. 

What about them makes you think they can get better? Because they're tall? Lol

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In my opinion the top 5 team draft performances in 2023 (not in order) were:

Philly

Seattle

Washington (limited picks)

Columbus

Buffalo

They all knocked it out of the park

I think CHI did pretty good too 

31 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Its nice that we already have our high skill offensive contributors to build around

Hughes & Hronek

All we need is to surround those guys with stable, physical, shutdown defensemen

I like the Brustewicz pick A LOT. I had him as a 1st round talent. 

After getting over the Benson stuff, it feels to me that they just solidified their D-core for the next decade all in one draft. We should never have to overpay for a top-4 RD again, nor should we have to go into UFA and overpay for a bottom pair defenseman again (like Poolman and Myers)

Exactly, I think Allvin realised how much it costs and how hard it is to get an RD these days and drafting certainly is the way forward for centers and defencemen. 

You're bang on though - we need to start thinking who is going to complement who. Hughes needs a shutdown RD who can skate well. Hronek you could argue needs the same thing on the left side. When Willander breaks into the league in a couple of years time, he's going to need a solid LD to mentor and protect him to a degree.

A veteran RD say in his 30s would be ideal right now - Mayfield fits the bill so well. Give him a 4 or even 5 year deal and then we have a nice transition in age of Mayfield -> Hronek > Willander who can gradually share the load on the right side.

5 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Does he? I really haven't heard much of that. Everyone talks like he's a sure thing. 

His hockey IQ is elite, doesn't rely on his skating to make plays, isn't poor off the walls (actually one of the best in the draft), doesn't dangle through players to generate offense, etc.

His whole style of play is to get open and to use his hands to set up his passing. The reason why people think he's a better prospect is because he's less of a gamble than guys like Perrault who also have good playmaking and has similar skating and size. People see how he's making plays and are going, "That's not a junior level play. He's creating his own offense here."

I'd put money down on him being at least ending up a top six guy. He's clever the same way Petey was clever when we drafted him. He's just smaller and has less straight away speed. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Does he? I really haven't heard much of that. Everyone talks like he's a sure thing. 

If he was then he would have gone top-10 for sure. Leonard and Dvorsky weren't projected to beat Benson a while ago but they're relatively safe bets - bigger bodies, better defensively, seems to be the way teams want their top line centers to be in the future. Benson is small and skilled and that's about it. That skill could take him to Pat Kane / Point levels but also if his defence is average at the NHL level he may not pan out. I think the offence will surely be there though.

I'm glad we went with Willander over Benson but it's a close call. If Dvorsky or Leonard was available at 11OA...boy that'd be tricky but again we'd have to go the RD.

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In my opinion the top 5 team draft performances in 2023 (not in order) were:

Philly

Seattle

Washington (limited picks)

Columbus

Buffalo

They all knocked it out of the park

Id add

STL - crushed it imo

CHI 

NAS 

CALGARY - underrated draft

15 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

hes not a sure thing but his scoring profile is that of a top 3 pick in past drafts. But there's clearly a reason he fell to 13 and he wasn't even picked right after our pick.

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Id add

STL - crushed it imo

CHI 

NAS 

CALGARY - underrated draft

Calgary did very well

STL had a really strong first three rounds

Nashville had some really good picks and some meh picks imo

Chicago had an amazing first round but not a fan of what they did in the rounds after considering how many picks they had. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Devron said:

Aren’t people still b!tching about Benson? Sorry I guess that must have been yesterday 

We need more young D. We need to remake our D. We need to focus on D. We have too many forwards.

But wait ... we should have taken Benson.

Can't have it both ways. 

• Upvote 1