The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

23 hours ago, Muttley said:

Sounds pretty mild, but: Real good last year. Tough too.

Quinn Schmiemann

Defense -- shoots L
Born Jul 23 2001 -- Wilcox, SASK
[21 yrs. ago]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 200 [188 cm/91 kg]
Drafted by Tampa Bay Lightning
- round 6 #182 overall 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2017-18 Kamloops Blazers WHL 3 0 0 0 0 1 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Notre Dame Hounds SJHL 1 0 0 0 0   -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 Kamloops Blazers WHL 58 5 23 28 30 -7 6 0 2 2 10
2019-20 Kamloops Blazers WHL 60 5 32 37 56 25          
2020-21 Kamloops Blazers WHL 22 2 15 17 31 14          
2021-22 Kamloops Blazers WHL 58 14 40 54 65 24 17 2 16 18 2

I thought he sounded more Medium........but I guess we can just agree to disagree!:lol:

Personally, I care not if the Johnny Canucks are a sub .500 team as long as the prospects get to play and develop. 

I am happy to see the Carter Bancks/Cal O'Reilly/Wacey Hamilton wannabes (Rempal, Petan, Bailey, Stephens, Sautner, etc.) unsigned to make room for the 20-22 year old brigade. Hopefully, with the upgrade in the Player Development department, we will get to witness what many of us believe to be what the AHL franchise is intended for.

I'll be cheering for Woo, Klimovich, Lockwood, Karlsson, Aman, Juulsen, Keeper, Brisebois, Silovs, Dipietro, Bains, et. al. to develop into bonafide NHL prospects who can step in at some point in time.  If they have a winning record while doing so, that will be a bonus.

Hear from Chad Nychuk, the latest Abby signing, on the origins behind his nickname "The Rossburn Rifle", his time with Brandon Wheat Kings, and his Ping Pong skills:

On July 22nd, Abbotsford Canucks General Manager, Ryan Johnson, announced that the club had signed major junior free agent defenceman Chad Nychuk to a one-year AHL contract ahead of the 2022-23 season. Nychuk joins Abbotsford from the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League.

“Chad is a player we watched throughout his junior career,” said Abbotsford GM, Ryan Johnson. “After making a very good impression at development camp in Vancouver, we are excited to have him join our group in Abbotsford this season.”

We sat down with Nychuk to talk to the newly signed blue liner.

Talk to us about your time in the WHL with Brandon.

Obviously it was a really fun four years, I’m sort of a hometown kid when I went in as a young guy. I made a lot of really good friends really quickly and I have nothing but thank you’s for the coaches, management and staff. I’ll always be grateful for that.

What excites you about playing in the AHL with Abbotsford?

I think just taking that next step. Obviously, being a hockey player, that’s one of the things you look forward to the most. As for Abbotsford, obviously I’ve heard nothing but good things about it and I’m really excited.

Last month was the first time we saw you in Canuck colours, tell us about your Development Camp experience back in July.

It was really fun, I met a lot of really good guys. You kind of get to know the WHL guys that you’ve been playing against for the last few years, then as the week went on I started to get to know the college and European guys. That was the big thing that I took out of it. As for the hockey side, there were a lot of good players there and I feel like it was a good week.

How would you describe your playing style?

I think that I have just turned myself into a two-way defenceman. For the first few years, I thought of myself as an offensive defenseman. But I learned pretty quick that in order to make it to the next level, I had to be able to take care of both ends. The last few years I have mainly been focusing on that and hopefully I can keep that moving forward.

What do you like to get up to in the off-season?

Right now in the summer I have just been training in Brandon, Manitoba. My cabin is about an hour and a half north of Brandon, so I like to go there with my family on the weekends. But during the week, just skating, working out, the usual stuff. Lots of golf as well.

Talk to us about your nickname “The Rossburn Rifle”.

I was just sitting at the rink one day when our media guy came up to me and told me he was going to use that nickname. He thought it was just going to be a little joke or whatever , but it turned into a pretty good thing. A lot of my buddies started wearing t-shirts and started to send me pictures of them. Some of the proceeds went to the (Brandon) Wheat Kings, and the rest I was able to donate to some stuff around Rossburn. Things like buying local kids hockey equipment and some work on the local reserve. It was a really good fundraiser.

Tell us more about your hometown Rossburn and growing up there.

I owe a lot of it to Rossburn. As I get older, I can’t really skate at the rink there because it’s winter ice, it’s not in during the summer. So I had to make the move to Brandon. But I’ve had nothing but support from Rossburn, all of the support I get is so surreal and I’m very grateful for it. I owe a lot to Rossburn.

Can you tell us a fun fact or a hidden talent about yourself?

I play a few sports, I like to play every sport that I can. I used to be pretty good at ping pong, but I’ve gotten away from it a little bit recently. Hopefully I can maybe get back to that, so I would say ping pong.

https://abbotsford.canucks.com/news/q-and-a-with-chad-nychuk

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 11:21 AM, Muttley said:

Not really related but could it be? I doubt it but what a major undertaking...

You know that McCallum is a senile old coot who's best move is to consent to being institutionalized (jail would be a good place for the demented buffoon), right?

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.1b224767c07e5c2aa8f5d209c065a76b.png

Didn't see a thread on this signing, but sounds like he's having a decent camp so far. A quick intro:

On July 22nd, Abbotsford Canucks General Manager, Ryan Johnson, announced that the club had signed major junior free agent defenceman Chad Nychuk to a one-year AHL contract ahead of the 2022-23 season. Nychuk joins Abbotsford from the Brandon Wheat Kings of the Western Hockey League.

image.png.6509947bfc573a3ea30839c208f6cf35.png

image.png.3fa30a87dd4e56b40f45a8d7cfe04b58.png

image.png.c387b88d8cddd6f9aa56124fd4711c2b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

What's not to like about this signing? Has some tools, late bloomer? He'll be in a great environment to succeed.

I'm going to really enjoy seeing the baby Nux live this season, and with my nervous anticipation with the big boys set to go, I've already sent out applicable notices to my boss (no more OT, especially game nights), my spouse (don't bug me, see you next summer), and my friends (it's hockey season, you're either with me, or against me)

GCG!!! :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1