The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

I have been super impressed with Bains lately. He has some great creativity with the puck. Very smooth skater as well. 

Also shout out to my cousin Vinny for the game winner!! Woot Woot you beautiful caveman! He had a couple bone crunching hits this game too.

Lots of choppy play today but that's more to do with all the call ups that just happened. Everyone started out disjointed but took over in the 2nd/3rd periods. Great team game.

Also, Tristan Nielsen may be the second coming of Burrows...

• Upvote 1

I will also throw this out there. AKL is looking so much better out there. He is even getting some good offensive looks from the blue line. I'm starting to think we may have something in him. Last year I did not see anything in him other than a tough guy, great AHL guy, but did not scream any kind of NHL potential. If he continues to improve his skating and keeps getting steady minutes on the back end he could turn into something more. 

Just now, Attila Umbrus said:

I will also throw this out there. AKL is looking so much better out there. He is even getting some good offensive looks from the blue line. I'm starting to think we may have something in him. Last year I did not see anything in him other than a tough guy, great AHL guy, but did not scream any kind of NHL potential. If he continues to improve his skating and keeps getting steady minutes on the back end he could turn into something more. 

I don't think he'll be more than what he is, but Im on the edge of my seat when he's out there because I see guys challenge him in scrums and I want to see one of these guys bite off a lot more than they can chew. 

AKL can fight like mofo 

3 hours ago, MattWN. said:

I can't tell if this is real.. is a 50 year old used car salesman actually backing up Silovs?

Yes, he did. I was wondering what Abby would do. There was no ECHL team near enough for someone to get to San Jose by game time and there are no nearby Division I NCAA teams either. If this was in Vancouver they would have used a goalie from UBC (as Vancouver has done before). Dave Guy has apparently been an emergency backup before. I think every AHL city has one or two potential emergency backups on a list. 

Solid game against a team that is a bit tough to get any momentum against.......not because they're good, but because they're so disjointed.

Silovs, just a rock again and up to 19 wins.......had demko been healthy, he might never have been given the chance.  You can see the team trusts him a lot out there, and with good reason.

Woo with another quietly solid game.  He compliments wolanin so well and adds some defensive acumen to that top pairing.

I thought Raty and Nielsen had some good chemistry and Raty had a couple of good looks.  I love TN's game, but I think he's going to settle into a career AHL guy......I hope it's in Abby. 

Raty had a solid outing and though I think he needs more hustle in his own end, he's so good, positionally that he manages it ok, but it's something he needs to work on.  However, as soon as they get possession of the puck, his energy level goes way up.......like, in the snap of your fingers.  He's a smart player in all three zones and he goes to the hard areas willingly, so he's not soft.......not many Finns are though.  He had a couple good looks in the offensive zone and looks calm when he has the puck.  We should all feel good with this part of the deal.  He's still got some work ahead of him, but it's looking good.

Hogz was dynamic, yet again.  His skating is just to hard for ahl level defenders and he just chip and chases all game long.  He almost never gets beat to the puck.  His confidence is coming back and he's getting some bite back to his game.

Bains had a good game as well, not as noticeable in the ozone, but he was great defensively.  I truly didn't expect him to be such a good two way player.  

Even after getting a puck in the face and wearing a full shield, Karlsson was in the blue paint all game long.  He seems infuriating to play against.  He's steady Eddie, forces mistakes and when he has the puck, it's hard to get it back.  He's probably the most complete player on the team and he keeps steadily adding to his resume, as he did tonight.

Also, I really hope Colliron lobbies the big club to offer Wouters a contract.  He's only 22 years old, a second year pro and he's already the captain and he carries it so well.  When the lead needs protecting, it's Wouters out on the ice.

Ultimately, the last two games have been a masterclass in protecting leads.  They're so well coached and they really play hard for the coach and for each other.  I like Abby last year, but wasn't surprised they got bounced early.  My bar is higher for this team and I think they can make some noise in the post season.

Best of all, it truly is the young prospects who are stirring the drink on this team.  They've got good vets to support them, but the fate of this teams rides on the shoulders of the Canucks prospects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Recently, every time there's a goal against in the highlights (maybe lowlights), more often than not, it's been Juulsen #47 on the ice.

Juulsen is playing well, imo.  He's a schenn kind of player.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think he'll be more than what he is, but Im on the edge of my seat when he's out there because I see guys challenge him in scrums and I want to see one of these guys bite off a lot more than they can chew. 

AKL can fight like mofo 

Yup, i’d say he’s got that rick rypien aura to him…but unfortunately no offence to Ryp…he would have a hard time cracking a current NHL roster these days. Loved AKLs fight a few games ago against that huge mofo…he was 6’5” or something, tuned him in no problem…reminded me of when Ryp took on that huge guy from Atlanta Thrashers, he was 6’7” and Ryp took it to him and won the fight if I remember correctly…I think it was the one where a piece of his ear tore off during the fight…it was crazy…i’m gonna go find that now and rewatch it. Goosebumps 

edit: here it is!

another edit here is AKL, crazy!!

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Yup, i’d say he’s got that rick rypien aura to him…but unfortunately no offence to Ryp…he would have a hard time cracking a current NHL roster these days. Loved AKLs fight a few games ago against that huge mofo…he was 6’5” or something, tuned him in no problem…reminded me of when Ryp took on that huge guy from Atlanta Thrashers, he was 6’7” and Ryp took it to him and won the fight if I remember correctly…I think it was the one where a piece of his ear tore off during the fight…it was crazy…i’m gonna go find that now and rewatch it. Goosebumps 

edit: here it is!

IF Ryp could just box a guy, he would dominate regardless of size.  But guys learned they needed to grab and wrestle Ryp to stop from getting their faces pounded.  Made it harder for Ryp to take on the big boppers. Sure loved Ryp.  We should never have let him go.  Bad bad Gillis move.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IF Ryp could just box a guy, he would dominate regardless of size.  But guys learned they needed to grab and wrestle Ryp to stop from getting their faces pounded.  Made it harder for Ryp to take on the big boppers. Sure loved Ryp.  We should never have let him go.  Bad bad Gillis move.  

Did we let him go Alf? I can’t seem to remember. I thought we sent him back to the farm then the “incident” happened…or did Gillis not resign him?

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Did we let him go Alf? I can’t seem to remember. I thought we sent him back to the farm then the “incident” happened…or did Gillis not resign him?

I don’t remember the “incident”?  All I remember is Gillis letting Ryp go as a free agent or something like that and being very disappointed.  I know it’s pro sports and “cutthroat” but Ryp was a guy we needed to keep.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t remember the “incident”?  All I remember is Gillis letting Ryp go as a free agent or something like that and being very disappointed.  I know it’s pro sports and “cutthroat” but Ryp was a guy we needed to keep.  

I didn’t want to be rude and talk about Ryp ending his life…so I said “incident” instead.

I really loved him as a player. And miss him a lot. 

Those Manitoba Moose years were special to watch. It’s where my love for the AHL started. Ryp, Bieksa, Edler, Burrows, Kessler, Scneider…on and on. Those days were great. Then to see the whole lot of them one by one graduate to the NHL was just icing on the cake.

This years Abby Canucks is bringing me back to those days. Loving it.

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I didn’t want to be rude and talk about Ryp ending his life…so I said “incident” instead.

I really loved him as a player. And miss him a lot. 

Those Manitoba Moose years were special to watch. It’s where my love for the AHL started. Ryp, Bieksa, Edler, Burrows, Kessler, Scneider…on and on. Those days were great. Then to see the whole lot of them one by one graduate to the NHL was just icing on the cake.

This years Abby Canucks is bringing me back to those days. Loving it.

Yup.  The skilled goal scorer types (Bo for example) can be moved on and they will do fine.  But guys who play like Ryp and give so much of themselves to the club should always be kept until they retire.  I think it too often tears their hearts out to be thrown away after giving so much.  It “felt” wrong what Gillis did back then with Ryp.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  The skilled goal scorer types (Bo for example) can be moved on and they will do fine.  But guys who play like Ryp and give so much of themselves to the club should always be kept until they retire.  I think it too often tears their hearts out to be thrown away after giving so much.  It “felt” wrong what Gillis did back then with Ryp.  

Well said Alf, couldn’t agree more. 

Look no further than Vinny Arseneault. He has been protecting our young guys for 6 seasons now. And it seems AKL will be next in line to take over his mantle when he retires. Vinny has been getting injured more frequently lately so I do think it’s coming some point soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Well said Alf, couldn’t agree more. 

Look no further than Vinny Arseneault. He has been protecting our young guys for 6 seasons now. And it seems AKL will be next in line to take over his mantle when he retires. Vinny has been getting injured more frequently lately so I do think it’s coming some point soon.

And when the transition to the younger player happens, keep VA in our team.  Coaching spot?  Scouting?  Something.  But keep him. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I have been super impressed with Bains lately. He has some great creativity with the puck. Very smooth skater as well. 

Also shout out to my cousin Vinny for the game winner!! Woot Woot you beautiful caveman! He had a couple bone crunching hits this game too.

Lots of choppy play today but that's more to do with all the call ups that just happened. Everyone started out disjointed but took over in the 2nd/3rd periods. Great team game.

Also, Tristan Nielsen may be the second coming of Burrows...

I really really really hope that Vinny gets a game with the big club at some point.  I'm not sure if they could sign him to a 10 day contract or something short that doesn't eat up one of the 50 NHL contracts allowed. 

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I really really really hope that Vinny gets a game with the big club at some point.  I'm not sure if they could sign him to a 10 day contract or something short that doesn't eat up one of the 50 NHL contracts allowed. 

That would be a solid thing to do. Not sure if they would go that far. But it would be classy.

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

And when the transition to the younger player happens, keep VA in our team.  Coaching spot?  Scouting?  Something.  But keep him. 

It will be interesting to see what he does post hockey. I hope he sticks around too. Apparently he is a big supporter of the “community” stuff for the team. So could be in that capacity maybe. When the floods happened last year Vinny was the one rounding up the team to go help.

• Like 2