The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Jonathan Huberdeau

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes. The young guns for sure. I’m thinking of players over the age of 27. 

Copp is doing ok.  Giroux is almost ppg.  Burakovsky is a monster for Seattle right now.  Kadri isn't terrible but the whole team is a dud.  And finally Bergeron.  

Al over 27 all signed big old deals worth $5.5 million or more and all at .75 ppg or better.  Shockingly, not awful dollar value for this years free agent crop so far.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Copp is doing ok.  Giroux is almost ppg.  Burakovsky is a monster for Seattle right now.  Kadri isn't terrible but the whole team is a dud.  And finally Bergeron.  

Al over 27 all signed big old deals worth $5.5 million or more and all at .75 ppg or better.  Shockingly, not awful dollar value for this years free agent crop so far.

Bergeron with a one year deal. Giroux for 3 years. Burakovsky similar to Mikheyev. Copp also under $6 million. 

I think the lesson is you can go after the medium fish as they have a lot less risk attached and can still do well. But when you chase after the big fish it’s boom or bust.  

Moral of the story. Get your big fish through the draft and have them throughout their prime years. Pick up the medium fish through free agency to fill holes in the lineup. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes. The young guns for sure. I’m thinking of players over the age of 27. 

Hampus Lindholm at 6.5M is probably the biggest win. He's been a solid defenseman for a while but I don't think anyone saw him having the kind of season he's currently having. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Huberdeau’s new contract hasn’t even kicked in yet and it already looks like the worst contract in the NHL. I mean he might be a 60 point player next year earning almost $11 million. And it’s only gonna get worse. At least Miller is still a point a game guy with a contract that is almost $3 million less per year. 

Meh, new team, new coaches/systems, battling through an injury... The guy is arguably the best play maker in the game, he and the Lames will (unfortunately :lol:) round in to form.

15 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He really shouldn't be making a nickle more than Miller. 

The Flames are always in this win now mode too it seems. They lost Jonny Gudreau and were convinced they had to replace him with a big ticket free agent. You really have to wonder what would happen if they just left that roster spot open for someone in the system to step up into.

Would their record be that much worse if they did that ? And if it's a disaster , you get a high draft pick. Free agency is a scam. 

Hub was a trade, not a free agent FWIW.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Meh, new team, new coaches/systems, battling through an injury... The guy is arguably the best play maker in the game, he and the Lames will (unfortunately :lol:) round in to form.

Hub was a trade, not a free agent FWIW.

Right. His signing had a free agent feel to it. Doesn't seem to be any discount for him at all. 

Of course players want to do the best they can for their family. But he's basically got his cap hit tattooed on his forehead for the rest of his career. All pressure and judgement. If he signed for a little less , the pressure wouldn't be as bad as it is now