The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Pearson for Clutterbuck

On 8/25/2022 at 5:43 PM, JM_ said:

if we were getting Cluterbuck + a pick back it might be worth considering. 

not getting a very high pick back? Clutterbuck & 4th rounder? NYI are also taking 1.5 million back in deal for Pearson?

I don't think this deal will happen..

I still think Miller trade will happen before October 10th..I think NYI, NJ Devils will be the active teams with Colorado making a pitch with Miller...

Canucks can't have Miller trade distraction all season long and come trade deadline Canucks are in playoff race?

Things will heat up over next 6 weeks once training camp starts...

• Cheers 1

That would be one of the better 4th lines we've had in a while & personally we need to find a spot in the top 9 for Hogs. I like Pearson, but weighing the gain in cap flexibility this year and next, additional grit to our bottom 6, plus a 3rd for our future makes sense. I would like this for us. 

I like the notion of trading a vet in Pearson for cap space and to give play time for Hoglander (for his development he ought to get top-9 ice time), but in getting Clutterbuck we'd be blocking another young forward in Lockwood from potentially becoming a regular NHL player.  Seeing how the Islanders already have Pulock and Dobson locked up with term, I'd like to see if we could try to pry either Mayfield (pending UFA RHD) or prospect Bode Wilde plus a pick (wonder if his development is stalled?  They loaned him to Europe for 2021-22, but given that size and skill as attested to by his draft pedigree it might be worth a shot to see if we could bring him along, alongside the likes of Woo and Filip Johansson).

At worst if we get Bode, we could see if Nils has it in him to be an NHL regular top-9 player, save a bunch of cap and potentially get a future NHL RHD, plus a draft pick.

• Cheers 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:16 PM, VegasCanuck said:

So, you're proposing a 1 for 1 swap, no other assets, essentially downgrading our middle 6 in exchange for a 4th line grinder?

So, just to clarify, you don't work for the Islanders, do you???

;)

I'm not a big fan of moving Pearson, just for the sake of moving Pearson as he is a highly effective player for us, he's just not a flashy player, which many fans on this forum seem to prefer.

But, if we needed to move him, maybe something like

To NYI

Pearson

To Vancouver

Clutterbuck

2023 3rd round pick

I sometimes think those pretend fans are either basketball or football fans they only want offensive players with no love for the role players.

• Cheers 1

If we are making space to resign Miller, then this kind of deal might make sense next off season.

Pearson is the better and more versatile player and I think we will need him this season if we want to make the playoffs. We are already cap compliant for this season, so I wouldn't be in favour of the trade at this stage. 

Whether we move Pearson next off season would depend on how Kuzmenko and Mikheyev pan out. If those guys show well and are top 6 guys for this team moving forward, then that may make Pearson expendable as he will be an older guy (31 at that point) with just 1 year left on his contract. And we will have too many top 9 wingers.

If we are looking to move Pearson I would much prefer to trade him outright in return for a pick or a prospect. I prefer not to have someone like Clutterbuck on our roster and also don't want 4th line players taking up more than $1m in cap space. But if cap space is tight around the league, like this off season, then we may have to retain or take some cap back to move him.

Not a bad proposal. If the cap space is intended to make the team better via another trade I think it is pretty good. If that cap space isn't going to be properly utilized I think Pearson provides a bit more value at 3.25 than Clutterbuck at 1.75. There is also one less year on Clutterbuck's contract which is probably where most of the value would be. 

image.thumb.png.556828dd95a2534915062c39567fd7da.png
image.thumb.png.1305fc58ab3e742912da8788c05a61bc.png

Edited by canucklehead44

On 8/29/2022 at 12:31 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Not a bad proposal. If the cap space is intended to make the team better via another trade I think it is pretty good. If that cap space isn't going to be properly utilized I think Pearson provides a bit more value at 3.25 than Clutterbuck at 1.75. There is also one less year on Clutterbuck's contract which is probably where most of the value would be. 

image.thumb.png.556828dd95a2534915062c39567fd7da.png
image.thumb.png.1305fc58ab3e742912da8788c05a61bc.png

Cap space is the ultimate value. Teams who have it, who are competitive, have great leverage. 

The more I think about this proposal, the more I like it. Pearson is definitely the better player. Adds grit to the 4th line. Clutterbuck is an annoying player to play against. Penalty Killer. The 3rd round pick adds to our prospect pool. We add additional cap space next year and this year. We could potentially resign Miller, Bo and Kuzmenko (depending on how he does). Add this to a potential buyout or trade of Dickinson next off-season and the Cap is starting to have a bit of breathing room for us. I really believe getting long term contracts for Bo especially is very important before the cap goes up. If we sit on our hands, now we're looking at a player who may want closer to 8 million per, instead of slightly lower than 7. Same with Miller us throwing 8.5 at Miller over 6 would be more realistic. Canucks could look at selling off on Myers next off-season, which could prove to be easier seeing as teams may not want to commit to long term deals with some of the players available.