The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Rathbone for Grans

Vancouver needs young RD and LA has a bunch of them. LA needs young LD, Vancouver has Rathbone who won't get more than 3rd pair minutes unless Hughes or OEL are injured. Grans is probably 5th or 6th on LA's RD depth chart. Both players have potential to be top 4 defensemen. I think it's a fair trade, meets the needs of both teams.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, audiodave said:

Vancouver needs young RD and LA has a bunch of them. LA needs young LD, Vancouver has Rathbone who won't get more than 3rd pair minutes unless Hughes or OEL are injured. Grans is probably 5th or 6th on LA's RD depth chart. Both players have potential to be top 4 defensemen. I think it's a fair trade, meets the needs of both teams.

Although I'm not sure if this is the right player to target for acquisition as I don't know a whole lot about Grans, this is probably closer in line to the type of trade we should be targeting. Something like this, I wouldn't look at as giving up on Rathbone, I would look at it as balancing from a position of depth for us. Would want a RD back who was ready to step into the NHL.

• Like 1

I thought Grans was positively noticeable at the WJC, but I would be cautious still, since scouting reports talk often about the boneheaded mistakes he makes and lack of awareness, and if we're looking for a RHD partner for Hughes he might not be the best candidate even though he stands at 6'3", 206 lb.  Bit of a parallel that comes to mind would be David Booth, in that he had the tools and size to play a power forward's game but just couldn't put it all together.  I hope Grans has learned and improved from his time in the LA minor league team, but we'd want to be sure that we're getting a solid player (if we do move one of our few assets in Rathbone), and not get overly attracted by his height and RH shot.    

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Grans is sort of a loose cannon.

The games I watched him Abbotsford vs Ontario, his game varied from spectacular to inexplicably bad. 

Grans was 19 year old in his 1st year of Pro hockey last year..........he scored at a almost .5 points a game and was a +7 for the Reign.

Not bad for a rookie! I am not sure what else he was expected to do last year?????????????

Don't you think Nazzy?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Grans was 19 year old in his 1st year of Pro hockey last year..........he scored at a almost .5 points a game and was a +7 for the Reign.

Not bad for a rookie! I am not sure what else he was expected to do last year?????????????

Don't you think Nazzy?

Sure, but points and plus minus shouldn't be the only thing when evaluating a player.

Has great size and reach and when on his game, he skates very well, makes simple plays that create really solid zone exits, and is able to neutralize opposition with his size and strength. However, there are times where he over complicates his game like Joni Jurmo does by making an extra pass too many or trying to carry the puck too often instead of using his hockey IQ to make a safer play.

Again in the 4 games that I saw, I saw two different players, one that was sound and a force two way, and another one where he was a loose cannon that was unpredictable and made a lot of risky plays that would earn him a healthy scratch. Than again, its only the several games that I saw that showed that, who knows maybe he is better than what I saw, but what I witnessed was a guy who is a loose cannon dman. Its not to say he is a bad player, I am aware he is 20 years old and his first season in the AHL, he has room to improve as any other young player but he does show risk in his game.

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Only 8min. in penalties. That's amazing for a pretty big guy. Seemed decent watching the highlights when he played vs Abbotsford.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=218310

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Sure, but points and plus minus shouldn't be the only thing when evaluating a player.

Has great size and reach and when on his game, he skates very well, makes simple plays that create really solid zone exits, and is able to neutralize opposition with his size and strength. However, there are times where he over complicates his game like Joni Jurmo does by making an extra pass too many or trying to carry the puck too often instead of using his hockey IQ to make a safer play.

Again in the 4 games that I saw, I saw two different players, one that was sound and a force two way, and another one where he was a loose cannon that was unpredictable and made a lot of risky plays that would earn him a healthy scratch. Than again, its only the several games that I saw that showed that, who knows maybe he is better than what I saw, but what I witnessed was a guy who is a loose cannon dman. Its not to say he is a bad player, I am aware he is 20 years old and his first season in the AHL, he has room to improve as any other young player but he does show risk in his game.

Nazz....I am not trying pick on you, so sorry for the rebuttal....just trying to put forth another POV, but here is the Hockey writers top 100, and I am not saying he is or is not an equal for Rathbone...........just something to consider

78: Helge Grans, Los Angeles Kings

Helge Grans made a nice transition to North America with 24 points in 56 games with the Ontario Reign of the American Hockey League. Drafted 35th overall in 2020, he displays an efficient two-way style that’s going to bode well for the Kings down the line. He’s very mobile and can play a sound defensive game in every zone on the ice. He was also a major factor for Sweden at the World Juniors with three assists before the tournament was paused. – MZ

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I agree his consistency has been his shortcoming so far in the AHL but he's young and i think he will mature into a good dman. There's definitely risk in trading for him, if he were a sure bet, I don't think LA would trade him. At the same time Rathbone isn't a sure thing either.

This is the kind of trade we need to do.  Trading a young LHD for a young RHD who may be able to play in the top 4 makes sense to me. 

Grans is still learning the game but does have the tools to be an effective partner for Hughes, more of a stay at home guy with decent skills.  And Swedish too.  

Rathbone has alot of potential in my opinion so it would be hard to move him now before he shows what he has.  I'd keep Rathbone for now and try and get him in as many games as possible to "showcase" him.  I'd also like to see if they actually try playing Hughes and OEL together.  If they do and it does work to some degree then Rathbone could potentially move up into the top 4.  We'd have a defence similar to Colorado with mostly puck moving Dmen in the top 4.  

At this point Grans is not NHL ready so this trade doesn't need to be made right now.  If the Hughes/OEL experiment doesn't pan out then we can see what Rathbone has this year and try and move him next summer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Grans 20, RD, 6'3, 205 -  great skater  and skill future #4 D man --For sure you make this  trade--  3 yrs younger and RD

Rathbone 23 - 5'11, 190 - LD great skater and skill future #4--

I would not move Rathbone unless its a deal like this..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2