The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion Q&A With The Athletic Regarding Canucks

Rate this topic

Warhippy

45 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why haven’t the Canucks traded a winger to an NHL team with forward needs and are stocked with defensemen? — Jose D.

In a world where Bjorkstrand, who scored 28 goals and 57 points last season, is only worth a third and fourth-round pick it’s hard to see how a player like Conor Garland or Brock Boeser nets a blue-chip defence prospect or a young, established top-four contributor.

found this one the most interesting. The market is just too stingy to make significant d upgrades this season.

Still hoping to see DeHaan sign to give us a try at:

Hughes-OEL

DeHaan-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Edited by JM_
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

found this one the most interesting. The market is just too stingy to make significant d upgrades this season.

Hughes-OEL

DeHaan-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Agreed.

Thats the best we can hope for this season I think.

We could also slot Dermott or Poolman in on one of the bottom two pairs as well.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

Hughes-OEL

DeHaan-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Definitely not a great defense. It's not horrible though. If we are in a playoff position come tdl, maybe we luck out and get a fair price on an upgrade. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Definitely not a great defense. It's not horrible though. If we are in a playoff position come tdl, maybe we luck out and get a fair price on an upgrade. 

It remains the single biggest need for the Canucks (top 4 RHD) but they need to remain patient and vigilant.  I know that they are looking, the opportunity just does not exist at the moment.

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It remains the single biggest need for the Canucks (top 4 RHD) but they need to remain patient and vigilant.  I know that they are looking, the opportunity just does not exist at the moment.

Well I'm sure there would be options out there, but either we can't afford or it the cost would be way too high in assets. 

10 hours ago, KKnight said:

tbh I'd be very happy with average given the options the team has right now. 

10 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

31 year old free agent, made $5.4M on a $4.55 AAV contract last year.  He's a left shot but plays both sides.  

I can only think that they're still in because Poolman's health is dicey and is by no means a sure thing.  He would be the weak link in the top 4 if he's even an option anyways.    

I'm sure that Hughes and OEL can play on the right but would they be able to play at their optimal level?  If one of them moves to the right side, who would play 2nd pair on the left?  So with the addition of de Haan they may be experimenting which one of the 3 would be the best option on the right.  

Also, fitting de Haan in under the cap is an issue

I see this as a band-aid short term move that creates a cap issue.  Allvin seems much more deliberate than that.

Is this our D?

de Haan     Hughes

OEL            Myers

Rathbone   Schenn

Dermott      Burroughs

Or do we see Schenn paired with Hughes again?