The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2022 Young Stars Tourney Thread

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks fans after quality young stars games : Oh wow some of these guys might have a career after all.

Habs fans after a single shift from any prospect : OMFG FUTURE HALL OF FAMER TOP LINE SUPERSTAR.

I don't blame them for being hyped after finally getting rid of the guy who couldn't draft to save his life... But they need to chill lol

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Canucks fans after quality young stars games : Oh wow some of these guys might have a career after all.

Habs fans after a single shift from any prospect : OMFG FUTURE HALL OF FAMER TOP LINE SUPERSTAR.

I don't blame them for being hyped after finally getting rid of the guy who couldn't draft to save his life... But they need to chill lol

Yeah, and they got that plug that's been injuring a lot of Sens prospects (3 in 2 years) 

10 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

That's what I'm talking about with player development.  It was so incompetent they didn't make room for a lot of their prospects, Gadjovich had nowhere to play for an entire year. Their drafting in the middle rounds wasn't the problem, it was the development.  Like McCann, Forsling was a great pick but we'd rather trade our prospects for immediate help. Benning couldn't be bothered.  DiPietro being put in the Taxi squad was one of the more egregious player development decisions.   

I think you’re conflating a few different issues here.  

Benning did let McCann and Forsling go too quickly but that wasn’t a “development” issue as much as miscalculating their value vs Clendenning and Gudbranson.  They were just bad trades. It also looks like Gadjovich and DiPietro just aren’t NHL caliber at this point - just like Dahlin, Shinkaruk, etc etc. not sure why we would make room for them or any of the others.  If anything, I thought the argument was that Benning rushed people. 

Anyways, I like the new management team but I don’t think there’s any real evidence yet that they’re doing anything vastly different development wise.  They just have a much deeper team to work with - whereas the Benning era teams had a deficit of talent and there was constant pressure to rush in anyone with upside.  FWIW the nhl-caliber prospects all seemed to develop pretty darn well. 

For a more on topic comment, Klimovich, for example, was hotly debated but sure looks like the AHL and living in the lower mainland was a good call.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's very fair...   He also didn't have very much experience with the entirety of hockey operations.  

I still always maintain the opinion that his amateur scouting was excellent, and that the pro scouting got better and better over his tenure.  It was unfortunate that we didn't have a real President of Hockey Operations in Vancouver.  Trevor Linden was very inexperienced to begin with and then never got replaced. 

Hopefully ownership learned their lesson.

I think they may have thought bringing in a president and GM with no experience would work because it worked with Gillis. But you’ve got to surround those people with experience. Gillis had Gillman and Henning to take on the roles that he wasn’t good at. And it worked. 

Benning seemed to only have him and Weisbrod on an island. That kind of management will never equal success. There’s not enough voices to raise questions and concerns about moves. You need to have that collaboration of dialogue and debate. Might have stopped him from making some of his more questionable moves.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Psycho_Path said:

Well the 2 games against the Jets' prospects 4 years ago were 8-2 and 6-4 wins

I don't recall those games well, I was more thinking team play instead of out right winning.  We haven't developed many players since having our own farm team and these are some nice, early positive signs of changing that.

22 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's very fair...   He also didn't have very much experience with the entirety of hockey operations.  

I still always maintain the opinion that his amateur scouting was excellent, and that the pro scouting got better and better over his tenure.  It was unfortunate that we didn't have a real President of Hockey Operations in Vancouver.  Trevor Linden was very inexperienced to begin with and then never got replaced. 

I dream that Linden somehow comes back into the fold and we win the Stanley Cup led by our current core.  He, the Sedins and Smyl come down from the management suite and finally lift the cup together correcting all 3 cup loses in one swoop.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

You talk'n 'bout Kudryavtsuv

He's been pretty impressive and getting better through each game.

No, we're talking about the Montreal d-man who's name starts with a X.  Sens fans have been annoyed with him because he took out one of their prospects for a whole year last year and then made two more questionable hits in a game against them yesterday (or two days ago?).  

11 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Kudryavtsuv :  per DobberProspects.com

A creative defender who brings a little bit of everything to the table. Despite being a seventh-round pick, carries sneaky NHL upside.

Really impressed with Kirill.  I'm looking for number 29 every time he's out there. 

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No, we're talking about the Montreal d-man who's name starts with a X.  Sens fans have been annoyed with him because he took out one of their prospects for a whole year last year and then made two more questionable hits in a game against them yesterday (or two days ago?).  

ARBER XHEKAJ #72 ?