The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

watch the sequence ahead of Mc David's goal which gave the Oilers the 4:3 lead again and then tell me how good of a player Pearson is. Pearson doesn't belong to the top 6.

One play in one game, against the best player in the NHL. Lmao, ok. 

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He can play 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th line, he's not slow enough to be a detriment to the team, he’s solid defensively and doesn’t bitch. He’s a solid middle 6 versatile player. 

Teams aren't trading for him to play in the top 6.  He can't play on the 4th line because he isn't fast enough.  He is a 3rd liner who isn't very good on special teams.  If he was getting paid under $2 million, I am sure some teams could have a spot for him.  At $3.25 million he needs to be a top choice PK'er which he is not.

Tyler Motte has more value than Tanner Pearson.  Motte can play on the top unit PK, can play a 4th line role and can move up to the 3rd line.  His value is $1.35 million.  Pearson is around that value, maybe slightly higher.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Teams aren't trading for him to play in the top 6.  He can't play on the 4th line because he isn't fast enough.  He is a 3rd liner who isn't very good on special teams.  If he was getting paid under $2 million, I am sure some teams could have a spot for him.  At $3.25 million he needs to be a top choice PK'er which he is not.

Tyler Motte has more value than Tanner Pearson.  Motte can play on the top unit PK, can play a 4th line role and can move up to the 3rd line.  His value is $1.35 million.  Pearson is around that value, maybe slightly higher.

Completely false lol Motte gtfo of here with that. 

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's slow, can't play in the top 6 and is useless on the power play.  And he doesn't kill very many penalties.  So, you are paying $3.25 million for a 3rd line winger who can't play special teams.  So, I'm not sure where his value is.  At $3.25 million you would want that player to at least be first choice on the PK if they are in the bottom 6...

garland plays probably less special team than pearson. they are both 5v5 players.

maybe we can't afford to have 2 5v5 players in the top 9 though.

if some how we could aquire one or a couple of these guys, it would really help our team. Copp, Marchment, Cirelli, Nichushkin, Asplund

2021-2022 under Travis Green:

1st game:  Edmonton 3  Vancouver 2 (shootout loss)

2nd game:  Vancouver 5  Philadelphia 4 (shootout win)

Vancouver: 3 points

2022-2023 under Bruce Boudreau:

1st game:  Edmonton 5  Vancouver 3

2nd game:  Philadelphia 3 Vancouver 2

Vancouver: 0 points

travis green1.gif

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Ottawa offered up Tyler Motte and his $1.35 million one year contract for Tanner Pearson and his $3.25 million contract with 2 years left I would drive Pearson to the airport myself...

Good for you. Would be an absolutely moronic move. 

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

garland plays probably less special team than pearson. they are both 5v5 players.

maybe we can't afford to have 2 5v5 players in the top 9 though.

if some how we could aquire one or a couple of these guys, it would really help our team. Copp, Marchment, Cirelli, Nichushkin, Asplund

The difference is Garland can play in your top 6 and has speed for today's game.  Tanner Pearson cannot play in the top 6 and is lacking speed.  Also, Garland can be effective on the 2nd unit PP if he is deployed there, he has a good shot and is good on the half wall at getting around the opposition's defenders.  Garland should be playing more on the PP to be honest.  He has value there...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How is freeing up $3.25 million in cap space for next year moronic?  That's the main reason I would do the deal...

Because Pearson is a quality player no matter how much you sand bag him. That cap space would need to be filled with a quality player any so it would be lateral at best. 

I would focus on Boeser/Garland/Bo (if re-sign is not an option) for help on the backend over a redundant Pearson move. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Boeser was in the top 15 in board battles, you literally do not rank that high in board battles if you're soft. Period. Hughes in the tough areas? Please. Kid’s got skill but the tough areas are where he struggles at this point so far. 

No he wasnt.  Youre beyond delusional.   

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

He is.  Good offensive dman but nothing else.  

I don’t think Hughes will ever be good in his own end. The only reason why he isn’t Tyson Barrie level bad, is because he can often skate out of a difficult situation. The other half of the time, he’ll get outworked in puck battles leading to a scoring chance.

His positioning also needs a lot of work. I’ve always said he’s a bit of an enigma, in his own end. He always seem to be roaming around chasing, getting caught out of position. Resulting the forward group scrambling to cover for him. That’s one of the reason why our defensive structure is so horrendous when he’s on the ice. 

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Because Pearson is a quality player no matter how much you sand bag him. That cap space would need to be filled with a quality player any so it would be lateral at best. 

I would focus on Boeser/Garland/Bo (if re-sign is not an option) for help on the backend over a redundant Pearson move. 

Of course, the bigger moves would be to trade Boeser and Horvat (I wouldn't trade Garland as he has good chemistry with Podkolzin).  At the end of the day, I would like to see this as our top 6:

Kuzmenko    Pettersson   Mikheyev

Podkolzin     Miller            Garland

Now you have to create a 3rd line.  Hoglander I think would make a great 3rd line player, he has speed, tenacity and plays a good 200' game.  Then you need a 3C and a complimentary player that can kill penalties because Hoglander doesn't kill penalties.  So, there isn't room for Pearson.  You can't have 2 wingers on your 3rd line that don't kill penalties.

What is your vision of the team with Pearson in the lineup?  Are you playing him in the top 6?  If so, who are you taking out from the above lineup?  Do you have him on your 3rd line over Hoglander?  Or are you okay with both Pearson and Hoglander on a 3rd line together?  Or are you taking Hoglander right out of the lineup?

If you trade Boeser and Horvat then you need to get a 3C from those trades as well as some Dmen and you also have to go after a couple of UFA's in the summer.  Problem is right now we may only get picks and prospects for Horvat and we probably have to add Rathbone to any deal for Boeser.

9 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Do people honestly think this team can learn mental toughness after all this time? How much more evidence do people need to know their is something wrong with this team? Just sickening.

Lacking leadership. Bo is disinterested. Schenn is the leader and plays with heart.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I just love it how it only took two games into the season for CDC to seriously talk about blowing up the whole team while somehow also finding a way to steer the conversation back to the 2011 finals lol

Yeah but what has this team done? The team doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1