The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Oct 18/22 Valiant Canucks @ Forever-Blue Jackets 4pm PT at Nationwide Arena SNP SN650

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

Just now, stawns said:

they're not moving Carlo, imo, and certainly not for a high priced middle 6 winger

Carlo's value has taken a bit of a beating with the recent timid play and some fairly timid play. 

They are incredibly deep on the blue line, on both the left and right side.

Carlo is the obvious one for them to part with if they want a quality return. 

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Carlo's value has taken a bit of a beating with the recent timid play and some fairly timid play. 

They are incredibly deep on the blue line, on both the left and right side.

Carlo is the obvious one for them to part with if they want a quality return. 

well they wouldn't be getting Carlo for Boeser, that's for sure and they'd be stupid to move Garland, one of the drivers of play.  Who then, Podz?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

but if you subtract those players and don't have replacements in place, then what?  Are you going to wait until the off season and then hope you can entice a high priced dman to sign?  What if he (they) decide to go elsewhere and you're left with nothing?

shoulda coulda woulda? 

The team's literally capped out.
And the reason why is that WAY too much $ was thrown at guys who are really, just average players. 
The retirement thing was in jest... and had I known people in here were that wound up over all of this, maybe I wouldn't have said something like that.

Like I said earlier, we just need a win.

Either that, or a good old fashioned orgy in here to (cough) loosen people up a bit. ::D

Just now, stawns said:

well they wouldn't be getting Carlo for Boeser, that's for sure and they'd be stupid to move Garland, one of the drivers of play.  Who then, Podz?

That's just it, it'd be Garland. 

Would be pretty painful for both teams, so likely a fair deal. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, fecklund said:

BTW if you like 80's horror, the new one is pretty decent, actually 

I prefer the original. Not quite as gory. But perfect mental scares. My brother was a football player, and saw it in the theatre. He couldn't sleep and was creeped out for a while. Good news he had an MG Midget at the time, so it would be hard for someone to hide in the back with a knife.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I get on Myers' case some times but feel he's been missed...a big body who can get in the way. He also likes to shoot, so there's that.

He IS an NHL player, whereas some of these other guys aren't. No disrespect to Juulson. 
I'm a fan of Wolanin though. Maybe he gets another looksee sometime this year. 

4 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

That's just it, it'd be Garland. 

Would be pretty painful for both teams, so likely a fair deal. 

to me, that juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze as Garland is one of the players who actually drives the play and makes things happen.  You take him out of the lineup and that's a huge subtraction to the speed and output of the fwd group.  Is that worth it for a 4-5 dman?

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I prefer the original. Not quite as gory. But perfect mental scares. My brother was a football player, and saw it in the theatre. He couldn't sleep and was creeped out for a while. Good news he had an MG Midget at the time, so it would be hard for someone to hide in the back with a knife.

Agreed. You can copy the vibe of that era but it's just not quite the same. 
I had a similar reaction the first time I watched The Shining when I was a kid.
Creepy! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Boston could be realistic. Lot of money coming off the books next season too. I've been interested in Carlo for a while.

I could see NJ being open to trading Severson for a heft return now, since they got Marino and Severson has been bumped to the third pairing. 

Just now, fecklund said:

Agreed. You can copy the vibe of that era but it's just not quite the same. 
I had a similar reaction the first time I watched The Shining when I was a kid.
Creepy! 

All CDC, and no wins, makes Jack an angry fan....

All CDC, and no wins, makes Jack an angry fan....

All CDC, and no wins, makes Jack an angry fan.....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

also no playoffs with Myers either... the fate of where the Canucks finish does NOT revolve around 1 player it is the entire team

Only been following the team for the last 2 years, I see.

27 minutes ago, fecklund said:

16M is very little?

It's almost 20% of the cap. 

Now take into consideration the fact that Allvin's hands are tied, why?
No. Cap. Space. 

Perhaps signing  Miller, Mikheyev, Dakota, Kuzmenko and Aman have something to do with no cap space?

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

to me, that juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze as Garland is one of the players who actually drives the play and makes things happen.  You take him out of the lineup and that's a huge subtraction to the speed and output of the fwd group.  Is that worth it for a 4-5 dman?

We have a big glut of top-6 forwards. Acquiring Mikheyev and Kuzmenko, on top of Podkolzin stepping in, while not losing anyone from last year gives us flexibility up front. Yes we'd miss Garland, but it's not like we'd lose our ability to score goals if we lost him. It'd actually open up an opportunity for Hoglander to stay in the NHL where he belongs, instead of being bumped to the AHL or have his development as an offensive threat stunted by putting him on the 4th line. 

On the other hand, if we acquired a second pairing (but elite penalty killing) defenseman like Carlo on a very good contract (just like Garlands), we'd have a much better chance of winning games.

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Carlo (shutdown pair)

Stillman-Myers

With Dermott, Rathbone, Burroughs as depth is night and day different from what we have now. 

Edited by eeeeergh
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Only been following the team for the last 2 years, I see.

Perhaps signing  Miller, Mikheyev, Dakota, Kuzmenko and Aman have something to do with no cap space?

2 years?

I've been a member of this forum for about 20 years, and have been a fan since 1980... if you're counting. 

Those guys are all pulling their weight, relative to what they're making.
A good chunk of our defense is definitely not. Unfortunately. 

OEL is making over $10M USD this year. Could you imagine if he actually was the #1 top D man he was getting paid to be?
That in itself would make a massive difference right now. 

Edited by fecklund

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

I could see NJ being open to trading Severson for a heft return now, since they got Marino and Severson has been bumped to the third pairing. 

It's too bad Rathbone hasn't been showcased to this point yet. Considering the Canucks have no trust in Rathbone right now, it's sort of a bummer that he was considered too high a price to give up in the offseason when they were rumoured to be in talks for Marino.

29 minutes ago, fecklund said:

16M is very little?

It's almost 20% of the cap. 

Now take into consideration the fact that Allvin's hands are tied, why?
No. Cap. Space. 

If you want impact players, 16mil is not much. 20% of the cap and you look at contracts nowadays.. unproven players are starting at 8mil right now. Good players on older deals are still roughly around 7-8mil. UFA’s 8mil+. You ship out 2 players worth 16mil, you’re only getting 2 players in return for around 16mil. The question is, what kind of quality of player are they? Or you can go splurge and pay a bunch of low tier 2nd line players and 3rd line players for around 4-5mil each and still only get 3-4 players that are going to be “okay” they arent going to be game changers or huge impact players. Like I said, you need RFA deals not UFA deals for 16mil to actually work out favourably. RFA deals come from within or will cost you assets. Not many teams are going to want to part with players on great value contracts, because they are on such a bargain deal, why the hell would you want to part with them in such a tight cap climate.