The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

19 hours ago, Coconuts said:

In retrospect we probably should have started a rebuild after the Torts year imo. The lottery fucking us over also set us back, we dropped multiple times. 

The Miller trade was a win, no denying that, but I agree it probably cut the rebuild short. I don't like the OEL trade in retrospect either, I was eh on it at the time if I remember correctly. All we had to do was wait a year and we'd have had a whack of cap open up. Trading back to back 1sts didn't help the youth movement. 

I'm not gonna dump on folks for being excited about a couple wins but I still don't believe we're a playoff team. I don't think we'll make it, and I don't really believe in this veteran core regardless of how they looked last night. I was advocating for trading Miller and actively working towards stripping things down a bit, a step back to take steps forward so to speak. I still think the Miller signing was a mistake. I wanted to build around Pettersson, Hughes, Podz, and Demko. I'd have signed Horvat instead, everyone else could have been expendable. I wasn't asking for a teardown but I'd have been fine restructuring the roster and moving guys out to actually bring in top 4D. 

Two wins is progress, but they've got a long ways to go before they convince me they can be a consistent playoff team, let alone a contender. I don't see us contending any time soon. There's still a chance things spiral, and I think Bo's gone either way. 

I think OEL trade sort of made sense given that we've already let Tanev walk with inadequate replacement in Hamonic and he was about the let Edler walk.

JB wasn't looking to rebuild so he needed to bring in a defenceman.

45 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

That's not how it works.  They can only bury a little north of $1M in the minors.  Same problem with Eriksson.

Boeser needs full strength in his hand to shoot properly

Meant some other team would pick him off waivers.

:blush:

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, jyu said:

I think OEL trade sort of made sense given that we've already let Tanev walk with inadequate replacement in Hamonic and he was about the let Edler walk.

JB wasn't looking to rebuild so he needed to bring in a defenceman.

I understand looking for a D, but it seemed rushed. If I remember correctly JB had been interested in OEL previously but hadn't wanted to part with Demko. I question whether he was too fixated on OEL.

We could have used the cap flex a year later to go D hunting. And kept our pick.

I like OEL, I like Garland, but in retrospect I wouldn't have made that trade as I view OEL as a useful but declining asset. He's certainly not what he was.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

For sure you will  meet him when he comes back to the Canucks to coach them to a CUP. His gig in Montreal is just for experience. Does anyone really think he is finished here? He promised us a CUP and Burr is no quitter. One of the best who ever wore a Canuck uniform.

I love that he started out as a grinder, would hit and check and get timely goals and then he became the scorer i knew bjt never gave up the grit. He didn't need to do the mouth stuff at that stage but i loved how he brought it every night. 

I was also a big ruutu fan, would just lose his mind and hit people even if he had extremely limited point production.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I understand looking for a D, but it seemed rushed. If I remember correctly JB had been interested in OEL previously but hadn't wanted to part with Demko. I question whether he was too fixated on OEL.

We could have used the cap flex a year later to go D hunting. And kept our pick.

I like OEL, I like Garland, but in retrospect I wouldn't have made that trade as I view OEL as a useful but declining asset. He's certainly not what he was.

No question that JB was rushed. After failing to retain 3 key roster players after that 2020 playoff run, he probably felt cornered and made a desperation move.

Situation wasn't ideal with flat cap and all but the current NHL is drive so much by the young players that dealing the #9 overall pick feels like a mistake. 

Anyhow, the rebuild is probably not going to happen and I'm happy that Garland seems to have found his spot beside Miller and Horvat.

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Meant some other team would pick him off waivers.

:blush:

This would be a great scenario. With Boeser we all know what’s up. He won’t find his game again. As long as someone picks up his cap hit this is all good 

30 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

This would be a great scenario. With Boeser we all know what’s up. He won’t find his game again. As long as someone picks up his cap hit this is all good 

He got 4a in 6 games while playing with a struggling Miller as C (for most of it).  I find it funny that Miller gets a long leash to find his game but Boeser is not given the same opportunity.

That being said, he’s not getting prime PP time and probably not with better linemates (if the current lines stay the same), he’s most likely on his way out.

• Upvote 1