The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 FIFA World Cup

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Dutch far and away the better side

Dutch have more talent and system. USA had some chances but couldn't finish. 

Hard to imagine Australia not losing. They have less talent on paper than the US. Argentina has Messi and some world class players. Would take an incredible effort and luck to even get to penalties for the socceroos.

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Jaimito said:

Nice try. Hope all the host nations will do better next world cup. 

They should.   They get the 1 spot.  Meaning they all get a match against lower ranked teams.  They still have to play those matches,  but they will have a better chance is all I'm saying. 

16 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

They should.   They get the 1 spot.  Meaning they all get a match against lower ranked teams.  They still have to play those matches,  but they will have a better chance is all I'm saying. 

Just dont fall flat like Qatar.  What an embarrassing showing. Hey, at least they treated their migrant workers well and got nice venues built... Lmao

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Dutch have more talent and system. USA had some chances but couldn't finish. 

Hard to imagine Australia not losing. They have less talent on paper than the US. Argentina has Messi and some world class players. Would take an incredible effort and luck to even get to penalties for the socceroos.

Saw some Argentinian fans in NYC this week praying for good luck. 

20221201105855_0T5A6809.JPG

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Saw some Argentinian fans in NYC this week praying for good luck. 

20221201105855_0T5A6809.JPG

Interesting. Australia has beaten them one time outside of olympic/youth games which was in the mid 80s. Everything points to Argentina winning so they should not be seeking luck. Perhaps they have nightmares of the grey wiggle but odds of them seeing him are astronomically low.

Australia needs to keep playing how they have since the French defeat. Less reverence for Messi and the stars, keep the shape, play with heart until they collapse and nail every counter attack chance like they have done. It may still not be enough but they'll go out proudly if they play that way. 

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
au

Sorry (I guess) for those who were cheering for the US, but as a fan of the Netherlands, I'm pretty stoked. TBH, it's pretty difficult for me to imagine cheering for an American side in any international event.....maybe against Russia or China, I suppose....even KSA would be a toss-up....:unsure:

Beautifully taken goals by both Memphis and Blind, while the Yanks totally blew it on Dumfries' marker. Reminded me of the Whitecaps, actually....Noppert made a huge save early in the match.... (who knows what happens if that one goes in) and I thought he was very unlucky on the one that did beat him....

Sadly, I think the run probably ends for the Dutch against Argentina, but I'm quite happy they avoided an embarrassing loss today. :towel:

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sorry (I guess) for those who were cheering for the US, but as a fan of the Netherlands, I'm pretty stoked. TBH, it's pretty difficult for me to imagine cheering for an American side in any international event.....maybe against Russia or China, I suppose....even KSA would be a toss-up....:unsure:

Beautifully taken goals by both Memphis and Blind, while the Yanks totally blew it on Dumfries' marker. Reminded me of the Whitecaps, actually....Noppert made a huge save early in the match.... (who knows what happens if that one goes in) and I thought he was very unlucky on the one that did beat him....

Sadly, I think the run probably ends for the Dutch against Argentina, but I'm quite happy they avoided an embarrassing loss today. :towel:

I think it's a toss up to be honest; if anything I'd give the edge to the Netherlands. They have the best defense in the tournament and Virgil Van Dijk is probably the best center back on the planet. Yes Argentina has Messi but he has mostly feasted on lesser teams. That isn't meant to be a slight on him, he is obviously in the GOAT conversation, but today was the first time he has scored in the knockout stage of the world cup (ie. against the strongest competition). I just feel that Argentina as a team is always over hyped because of Messi. Either way, I am super excited for that game and [potentially] Spain vs Portugal.

• Cheers 1