The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 FIFA World Cup

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Awww, I was hoping for a France vs. Argentina round of 16 fixture.  So they should both progress now to the round of 8.  Brazil, France, Argentina, Portugal, Croatia, USA, England and Spain I think will be the final 8.

I don't think the US has enough quality to beat Netherlands but we will see.

Curious to see how tomorrow shapes up for Group E.

A Japan tie against Spain would force Germany to beat Costa Rica and cover the Goal differential.

A Japan loss and Germany could get in with a win.

If Costa Rica wins, the Spain-Japan game becomes even more important, so I don't think you'll see any team rest starters.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The other type of Aussie Rules Football?

There are four main football codes there. Aussie Rules (which is the most widespread) rugby league (focused on the east coast) rugby union (smaller pockets of the east coast but international games were bigger) and football(soccer). 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

There are four main football codes there. Aussie Rules (which is the most widespread) rugby league (focused on the east coast) rugby union (smaller pockets of the east coast but international games were bigger) and football(soccer). 

Can't wait for the Cats to defend their title.   

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

USA could get to the Semi Final. I wonder if that country would go soccer crazy if their team went on a run?

There would definitely be some increased interest in soccer. 

I'd love to see the USMNT move on to the next round...though not because it would generate more interest in the sport, but because it would be nice to see the country be able to rally behind something together for a change.  Never seen the country so divided before, the people need one common thing to unite behind.  Sports sometimes has a way of doing that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Netherlands aren't very good this tournament.  I don't expect them to beat the USA...

The Dutch are good enough to beat the USA. Yes they haven’t been at their best but they arguable have one of the best defences in the competition and have plenty of attacking width and Gakpo looks a handful.

their defence is strong enough that one of the best defenders in the premier league didn’t even make their squad.