The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 FIFA World Cup

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Canucks_fo_life said:

Canada outplayed those losers, lucky, Canada will get atleast 3 points in next 2 against inferior competition, not worried, this is our game, our fans owned that entire stadium

We just need the score a goal.  Embarrassing really. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Another WC game without a goal.  We suckeroo against these top teams.  

No no, the effort was there.  Perhaps, against a keeper who isn't Thibault Courtois, they score their penalty, as well.

If anything's lacking or "sucking", it's the experience and consistency.

If they play a similar type of game against Croatia, and I think they'll get something out of it, but it will come down to being clinical and being consistent.

Just now, AV. said:

No no, the effort was there.  Perhaps, against a keeper who isn't Thibault Courtois, they score their penalty, as well.

If anything's lacking or "sucking", it's the experience and consistency.

If they play a similar type of game against Croatia, and I think they'll get something out of it, but it will come down to being clinical and being consistent.

Funnel the money into the women’s team.  

43 minutes ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

Canada outplayed those losers, lucky, Canada will get atleast 3 points in next 2 against inferior competition, not worried, this is our game, our fans owned that entire stadium

Canada played well, but they’ve accomplished nothing to justify labelling Croatia (or even Morocco for that matter) as inferior opposition.

Croatia are an aging side but they’re still full of class and dangerous, and Morocco are stubborn and well drilled.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Canada played well, but they’ve accomplished nothing to justify labelling Croatia (or even Morocco for that matter) as inferior opposition.

Croatia are an aging side but they’re still full of class and dangerous, and Morocco are stubborn and well drilled.

Yup.  We are definitely looking like it’s 86 all over.  Zero goals. And total embarrassment.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  We are definitely looking like it’s 86 all over.  Zero goals. And total embarrassment.  

I can understand the frustration of not scoring a goal after 4 WC games but maybe see how the next 2 games unfold first before labelling this trip as an embarrassment? I am hoping they score at least one goal and earn a draw or win, that would be my expectation from this group. While they can still advance out of the group stage, I think that is unlikely. I would like to see them win a game.

Also, you can clearly see the lack of quality from Concacaf teams compared to the other regions. Costa Rica was downright embarrassing in what has to be one of the worst WC performances ever.  Having more games against good Euro or South American opposition will help prepare for the next WC. 

1 hour ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

Croatia went to the finals in the last World Cup in 2018 and almost won it all. How exactly are they inferior competition to a team that hasn’t even played in the World Cup since 1986?  

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, van_ws said:

I can understand the frustration of not scoring a goal after 4 WC games but maybe see how the next 2 games unfold first before labelling this trip as an embarrassment? I am hoping they score at least one goal and earn a draw or win, that would be my expectation from this group. While they can still advance out of the group stage, I think that is unlikely. I would like to see them win a game.

Also, you can clearly see the lack of quality from Concacaf teams compared to the other regions. Costa Rica was downright embarrassing in what has to be one of the worst WC performances ever.  Having more games against good Euro or South American opposition will help prepare for the next WC. 

Italy are the reigning European champions and failed to qualify for the World Cup only a year after winning Europe. That tells you the competition they have playing in Europe as compared to CONCACAF. 

• Sad 1

Canada played well with 22 shots. But only had 3 actual shots on target. And Courtois really only had to make two good saves including the penalty kick. 

As expected, we don’t really have much finish up front. Canada doesn’t produce very many quality strikers. You’d think after 36 years we’d have someone who can bury those chances. 

Croatia is going to be another tough game. Morocco was able to keep them to a draw so I don’t think they will be an easy matchup either. 

I just hope we can score a goal or two in this tournament.

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Canada played well with 22 shots. But only had 3 actual shots on target. And Courtois really only had to make two good saves including the penalty kick. 

As expected, we don’t really have much finish up front. Canada doesn’t produce very many quality strikers. You’d think after 36 years we’d have someone who can bury those chances. 

Croatia is going to be another tough game. Morocco was able to keep them to a draw so I don’t think they will be an easy matchup either. 

I just hope we can score a goal or two in this tournament.

Yep.  No KDB equivalent in Croatia (although, Lovro Majer is fairly good attacking talent), but, of course, they have a very solid midfield group in Modric, Kovacic, Brozovic, and Pasalic.  Attacking-wise, they're pretty average, but the experience is still there in players like Perisic, Orsic, and Kramaric.  For me, the real problem for Canada is going to be breaking down Croatia defensively.  The way Gvardiol is trending, he might be the first 100M defender, once he moves on from Leipzig.  He has it all.  Lovren, as much as he's memed, is also quite experienced, and Borna Sosa is also a pretty good fullback.

I do think we'll own the flanks and create problems out wide, but it's not going to be a simple or straight-forward game at all.

Edited by AV.
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AV. said:

Yep.  No KDB equivalent in Croatia (although, Lovro Majer is fairly good attacking talent), but, of course, they have a very solid midfield group in Modric, Kovacic, Brozovic, and Pasalic.  Attacking-wise, they're pretty average, but the experience is still there in players like Perisic, Orsic, and Kramaric.  For me, the real problem for Canada is going to be breaking down Croatia defensively.  The way Gvardiol is trending, he might be the first 100M defender, once he moves on from Leipzig.  He has it all.  Lovren, as much as he's memed, is also quite experienced, and Borna Sosa is also a pretty good fullback.

I do think we'll own the flanks and create problems out wide, but it's not going to be a simple or straight-forward game at all.

Lots of teams in on Gvardiol.  My team Juventus, Chelsea and Tottenham to name 3.  He’s gonna be a lot better than De Ligt who Juve overpaid for and then thankfully was able to unload to Bayern for roughly the same fee.  Yes, if De Light is worth 80M then Gvardiol could hit 100M easily. 

KDB had his worst game in awhile.  Haven’t seen him this bad.  Lukaku would have buried a couple more goals for sure.  With that penalty kick Canada had a great chance to get at least a point.  They blew it though.  Croatia is old but very experienced. I can see Modric dominating the middle of the pitch.  Perisic is one of those players who can score a bunch of goals if he is on his game.  He used to dominate games at Inter, although he’s past his prime now.  

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lots of teams in on Gvardiol.  My team Juventus, Chelsea and Tottenham to name 3.  He’s gonna be a lot better than De Ligt who Juve overpaid for and then thankfully was able to unload to Bayern for roughly the same fee.  Yes, if De Light is worth 80M then Gvardiol could hit 100M easily. 

KDB had his worst game in awhile.  Haven’t seen him this bad.  Lukaku would have buried a couple more goals for sure.  With that penalty kick Canada had a great chance to get at least a point.  They blew it though.  Croatia is old but very experienced. I can see Modric dominating the middle of the pitch.  Perisic is one of those players who can score a bunch of goals if he is on his game.  He used to dominate games at Inter, although he’s past his prime now.  

Likely Chelsea with the way Tood Boehly is spending.  Dropped 140M on Fofana and Cucurella in one window like it was nothin, and I don't see them shying out on this transfer, either.  With that said, he'd be a great piece for Juventus.

No question, Canada won't have the quality to play through the middle against Croatia.  Modric at 37 has probably one of the best engines in Europe.  Just astounding considering many of his age group (cough Iniesta cough) were physically done at a much earlier age.  I like Eustaquaio, Atiba is a hard-worker, but it's a night and day difference of quality in the middle.  Bodes well for us though because our strength is in Davies and Buchanan.  

This might come back to haunt me, but I'm not too concerned with Perisic.  He's ageing, hasn't really played beyond the wingback position at Tottenham, and was mostly nullified against Morocco.  He's got the pedigree of scoring at major tournaments, but I'm cautiously optimistic he can be dealt with.

Edited by AV.
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AV. said:

Likely Chelsea with the way Tood Boehly is spending.  Dropped 140M on Fofana and Cucurella in one window like it was nothin, and I don't see them shying out on this transfer, either.  With that said, he'd be a great piece for Juventus.

No question, Canada won't have the quality to play through the middle against Croatia.  Modric at 37 has probably one of the best engines in Europe.  Just astounding considering many of his age group (cough Iniesta cough) were physically done at a much earlier age.  I like Eustaquaio, Atiba is a hard-worker, but it's a night and day difference of quality in the middle.  Bodes well for us though because our strength is in Davies and Buchanan.  

This might come back to haunt me, but I'm not too concerned with Perisic.  He's ageing, hasn't really played beyond the wingback position at Tottenham, and was mostly nullified against Morocco.  He's got the pedigree of scoring at major tournaments, but I'm cautiously optimistic he can be dealt with.

I always said the same thing about Perisic.  And then he gets 3 goals against Juve.  He would have 4 or 5 bad games and then pot 3 goals the next game.  But this year he’s been crap.  I think he is just about done.  But of course having said that he will probably get a brace on Sunday.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

Thanks for the comment, I needed a good laugh!

On 11/21/2022 at 8:15 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I was wondering about this, but I watched the England -  Iran recap and I could see that Kane wasn't wearing one, so this isn't a surprise.

Score one for the corrupt regime with a horrible human rights record, I suppose....

BTW: C'mon Wales, FFS!

tbh by banning it, and making it a yellow card offense has brought more attention to the issue than if they let it go ahead. From a PR perspective its an own goal. The Germany photo as well just re-emphasises it. Plus with germanys federation losing one of their biggest sponsors because of this as well its going to end up messy in court. 

• Cheers 1

With the form Thomas Partey and Mohammed Kudus have shown this season at club level, I wouldn't be surprised if Ghana get something from this game.  Likewise (and I get why Portugal are starting Cristiano Ronaldo), it's a huge risk to leave Rafael Leao out of the starting XI.  I suppose he'll be a problem off the bench.

Should be a good match, regardless.

19 minutes ago, AV. said:

With the form Thomas Partey and Mohammed Kudus have shown this season at club level, I wouldn't be surprised if Ghana get something from this game.  Likewise (and I get why Portugal are starting Cristiano Ronaldo), it's a huge risk to leave Rafael Leao out of the starting XI.  I suppose he'll be a problem off the bench.

Should be a good match, regardless.

Leao on the bench? Yikes. Kid is world class. Its not like they have much better options, and that they cant have both him and CR7 play together

• Vintage 1