The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Selke Frontrunners at the 1/4 Mark

Rate this topic

-AJ-

No love for Horvat? I think when they're looking at the Selke they often look at production as well and Bo is leading the league in goals right now. The PK is often a big deal and faceoffs too, it's a weird award that basically just gets given to Bergeron or Datsyuk but I think Horvat fits that mould better than Petey.

Hirschier has been used well as a shutdown 2C under Hughes, very similar to how Bo gets used comparatively to Petey. Sure, the last few games with Miller on Bo's wing, Horvat's becoming more of a scoring center, but he still takes those big matchups, still takes big faceoffs and kills penalties. When the game's on the line, you want Horvat out there defending a lead, but also when you need a goal, Bo goes out there.

I think quite superficially, the award often goes to a guy with a high +/-. When it comes to that, Hirschier, Eichel and pretty much any Dallas Star is up there. Horvat is a measely -1 which doesn't help is case.

Takeaways are often super inflated when it comes to this award which is where Malkin, Stone and Marner are up top. Malkin is an interesting thought given his PPG production too...

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

No love for Horvat? I think when they're looking at the Selke they often look at production as well and Bo is leading the league in goals right now. The PK is often a big deal and faceoffs too, it's a weird award that basically just gets given to Bergeron or Datsyuk but I think Horvat fits that mould better than Petey.

Hirschier has been used well as a shutdown 2C under Hughes, very similar to how Bo gets used comparatively to Petey. Sure, the last few games with Miller on Bo's wing, Horvat's becoming more of a scoring center, but he still takes those big matchups, still takes big faceoffs and kills penalties. When the game's on the line, you want Horvat out there defending a lead, but also when you need a goal, Bo goes out there.

I think quite superficially, the award often goes to a guy with a high +/-. When it comes to that, Hirschier, Eichel and pretty much any Dallas Star is up there. Horvat is a measely -1 which doesn't help is case.

Takeaways are often super inflated when it comes to this award which is where Malkin, Stone and Marner are up top. Malkin is an interesting thought given his PPG production too...

Horvat spends a lot of time on the PK, but he has pretty bad results there. As you mentioned his +/- is also pretty bad, along with his possession numbers (I used scoring chances for %). His face-offs and takeaways are his strong points.

Pettersson has a higher +/-, better scoring chances for percentage, way more blocked shots, is used more on the PK than Bo, and has better results on the PK. In every single category that I looked at except face-offs, Pettersson beats out Horvat. Horvat ended up middle of the pack of the 57 players I looked at, though honestly, due to my relatively small sample, the rankings get a bit iffy past the top 15 or so. Personally, I'd rather have Petey defend a lead than Horvat, though Bo isn't a bad option either.

I did notice Malkin, but he doesn't qualify because he's not a regular on the PK.

I really think that offensive stats should have nothing to do with this award.  Wingers should also be noticed more.  The stats that I believe should be the most important for this award are either takeaways, or blocked shots.  Both are good indicators of preventing chances.  Face offs are subjective also.  Sometimes it's a winger win, yet the centreman gets credit.  It's a little flawed.

Edited by Viper007
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I really think that offensive stats should have nothing to do with this award.  Wingers should also be noticed more.  The stats that I believe should be the most important for this award are either takeaways, or blocked shots.  Both are good indicators of preventing chances.  Face offs are subjective also.  Sometimes it's a winger win, yet the centreman gets credit.  It's a little flawed.

I would tend to agree with most of this. I factor in face-offs because they are relevant, but don't punish wingers for not taking face-offs (I give them 50% if they don't take enough to have a reasonable sample size). I do consider offense, but it is not heavily weighed. I believe takeaways and shot blocks are two of the most prominent stats I look at, though I have also recently added a couple of penalty kill stats.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would tend to agree with most of this. I factor in face-offs because they are relevant, but don't punish wingers for not taking face-offs (I give them 50% if they don't take enough to have a reasonable sample size). I do consider offense, but it is not heavily weighed. I believe takeaways and shot blocks are two of the most prominent stats I look at, though I have also recently added a couple of penalty kill stats.

Yes, penalty killing should definitely be involved.  If the team doesn't think you're good enough to PK, you probably shouldn't be considered a good defensive player.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I’ve been making the Petey-Datsyuk comparison for awhile (and granted he hasn’t always lived up to it) but damn we need to lock him up.

He’s the type of player that you win cups with.

He’s piling up points and the eye test isn’t lying. Dudes found 2 more gears and is the best player on the ice every shift.

I am all for trading Boeser and Garland to give Bo $8x8, but then you’ve gotta figure Petey is a $10.5M player

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BabychStache said:

He’s piling up points and the eye test isn’t lying. Dudes found 2 more gears and is the best player on the ice every shift.

I am all for trading Boeser and Garland to give Bo $8x8, but then you’ve gotta figure Petey is a $10.5M player

I'll be shocked if Pettersson comes in at anything less than 10-11, particularly if the cap is supposed to rise the way people keep saying it will 

• Cheers 1