The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Nux have given permission for Boeser’s agent to talk to other teams

RWJC

27 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would go for Zadina and a 2nd in a heartbeat.  I may just do Boeser for Zadina straight up in the hope we could turn him around.  Cap savings alone is huge and gives us many options.

B-I-N-G-O!!!! Winner winner chicken dinner!

• Cheers 1

Boeser asking for a trade like the Canucks did him wrong kind of rubs me the wrong way. He's been an absolute floater and hasn't earned his contract at all. If he has such a problem with being scratched maybe he should just play better. Vancouver has been pretty accommodating to his situation and now he's eating up cap space offering up 4 goals and touches on assists. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, saucypass said:

Boeser asking for a trade like the Canucks did him wrong kind of rubs me the wrong way. He's been an absolute floater and hasn't earned his contract at all. If he has such a problem with being scratched maybe he should just play better. Vancouver has been pretty accommodating to his situation and now he's eating up cap space offering up 4 goals and touches on assists. 

Except he hasn’t officially asked for a trade 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Except he hasn’t officially asked for a trade 

I recant my statements if he hasn't. I just saw articles and rumblings of it - my bad if they're not credible. What I heard was that he asked for one after an attempted healthy scratch on cancer night. 

Just now, saucypass said:

He's had bad stretches sure but calling him a floater is a bit much, guy almost broke his back and is a 20 goal guy getting paid accordingly. His situation last only take a heart to see. Sure he's never been a crasher in the boards but he's been in a shadow of performance since Petey And Hughes then Miller came aboard. He isn't at all as bad as people like you make him out to be 

1 minute ago, saucypass said:

It seems like it is both sides, apparently the team

had been trying to trade him for a while as they don’t see him as a fit.

Dude just needs a fresh place to start over and lose some baggage.  I wish him nothing but well as he has been a really classy guy.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rick_theRyper said:

He's had bad stretches sure but calling him a floater is a bit much, guy almost broke his back and is a 20 goal guy getting paid accordingly. His situation last only take a heart to see. Sure he's never been a crasher in the boards but he's been in a shadow of performance since Petey And Hughes then Miller came aboard. He isn't at all as bad as people like you make him out to be 

Yes, he's no Loui Eriksson. I think there are multiple factors that make him feel worse than he is and one of them is probably Vancouver fans knowing what he's truly capable of and there's some resentment towards him not playing up to that level. The second is that it's been a flat cap over the last few years and players needing raises throughout that time has made his cap hit hard to swallow along with the Canucks not being cap efficient over the past few years has magnified deadweight and overpayments on our team.  

I still feel like 6.5M is a bit much for what he offers, especially since this contract was signed only this past summer. For his production in a cap squeeze era it could've been a million less (which we ended up paying a 2nd round for). 

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

It seems like it is both sides, apparently the team

had been trying to trade him for a while as they don’t see him as a fit.

Dude just needs a fresh place to start over and lose some baggage.  I wish him nothing but well as he has been a really classy guy.

I agree. I like Boeser as a person, what his dad went through is no joke. It sucks he's had the injuries he's had and I feel like he's probably great in the dressing room. It's just frustrating for everyone involved and I too hope he kills it wherever he ends up. 

3 minutes ago, saucypass said:

Yes, he's no Loui Eriksson. I think there are multiple factors that make him feel worse than he is and one of them is probably Vancouver fans knowing what he's truly capable of and there's some resentment towards him not playing up to that level. The second is that it's been a flat cap over the last few years and players needing raises throughout that time has made his cap hit hard to swallow along with the Canucks not being cap efficient over the past few years has magnified deadweight and overpayments on our team.  

I still feel like 6.5M is a bit much for what he offers, especially since this contract was signed only this past summer. For his production in a cap squeeze era it could've been a million less (which we ended up paying a 2nd round for). 

You lost me at "he's no Lui E" 

6 minutes ago, saucypass said:

Best bet without any need for hindsight was to qualify him at the 1year deal. 
Would have shown club loyalty to the person, belief and the opportunity he could bounce back as a player, while at the same time putting the onus on Boeser to have a career year of possible. Was the safest move. 

hard to reconcile the collective thought process of this group sometimes. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

You lost me at "he's no Lui E" 

So what does that mean exactly? "He's no Loui" agrees with your sentiment.  If you read the rest of my post I am in agreement that he's better than he's perceived and I elaborate why. What am I missing here?

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Best bet without any need for hindsight was to qualify him at the 1year deal. 
Would have shown club loyalty to the person, belief he could bounce back as a player, while at the same time putting the onus on Boeser to have a career year of possible. Was the safest move. 

hard to reconcile the collective thought process of this group sometimes. 

I agree. But qualifying him (if I remember correctly) would've been at 7.5M. If we qualified him I think we'd have gone over the squeeze for this year's roster. Do you think he would've signed a "show me" at 6.5M with an agreement for a raise if he played well this season? 

Honestly if someone offers a 2nd for him I’d take it. Not only from all the insane adversity he’s had to work through at only mid-20’s in his life that he deserves a fresh start somewhere. Also because he was picked 23rd overall, so getting basically a pretty similar pick back and shedding $6.65m cap is about as good of asset management as you can hope, for a draft picked player. Especially so given his current struggles.

Wherever he goes though I’ll be cheering hard for him and will never forget that act of kindness he gave that wonderful young girl taking her to the prom. He’s a really good guy who has deserved so much more, hopefully he can put himself back together elsewhere.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, saucypass said:

I agree. But qualifying him (if I remember correctly) would've been at 7.5M. If we qualified him I think we'd have gone over the squeeze for this year's roster. Do you think he would've signed a "show me" at 6.5M with an agreement for a raise if he played well this season? 

That’s the cost of certainty though.

Boeser at one year is an easier contract to move and, if all else fails, to walk away from. Best of both worlds.

But we managed to F up another gift from the hockey gods.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Boeser at one year is an easier contract to move and, if all else fails, to walk away from. Best of both worlds.

Yes I agree with you, I guess what I'm trying to point out is how would we be able to afford it this one year at a million more with us being less than a million within cap ceiling? Not challenging you, genuinely asking as I think a 1 year deal at a million is better than 6.5 at 3. 

17 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Couldn’t agree more..And highly tradable a TDL if we retained a few mill as a rental 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, saucypass said:

Yes I agree with you, I guess what I'm trying to point out is how would we be able to afford it this one year at a million more with us being less than a million within cap ceiling? Not challenging you, genuinely asking as I think a 1 year deal at a million is better than 6.5 at 3. 

Well, hard to really say how that is accomplished given all that’s transpired since extending him. It’s not like the path forward from one point is a definite or linear. Do we sign Mik and Kuz? Does it force another deal elsewhere due to cap pressures?

In favour of the term/AAV it afforded us to sign Kuzmenko which is exponential value in contrast to his total deal.

But soooo many variables, I would have played it safe with Boeser and worked things out accordingly elsewhere cap wise.

First target would have been Pearson, even with his clauses. In signing Mik and Kuz, and all the wingers we already have, it made Pearson almost redundant at his contract. I would have offered him an opportunity to go elsewhere early on indicating that his TOI may be limited going forward with this club given all the auditions/additions.

Second would have been Dickinson.

I also would have done everything possible to move Poolman out in the offseason. I never liked the signing, was hopeful, but it’s just a headache (pun intended) to deal with in terms of rostering, projecting and continuity.

I believe options would manifest capwise after the fact to afford Boeser at  1 year QO. Risk just outweighed the reward from the onset imho

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Well, hard to really say how that is accomplished given all that’s transpired since extending him. It’s not like the path forward from one point is a definite or linear. Do we sign Mik and Kuz? Does it force another deal elsewhere due to cap pressures?

In favour of the term/AAV it afforded us to sign Kuzmenko which is exponential value in contrast to his total deal.

But soooo many variables, I would have played it safe with Boeser and worked things out accordingly elsewhere cap wise.

First target would have been Pearson, even with his clauses. In signing Mik and Kuz, and all the wingers we already have, it made Pearson almost redundant at his contract. I would have offered him an opportunity to go elsewhere early on indicating that his TOI may be limited going forward with this club given all the auditions/additions.

Second would have been Dickinson.

I also would have done everything possible to move Poolman out in the offseason. I never liked the signing, was hopeful, but it’s just a headache (pun intended) to deal with in terms of rostering, projecting and continuity.

I believe options would manifest capwise after the fact to afford Boeser at  1 year QO. Risk just outweighed the reward from the onset imho

I agree. Fire sale in Vancouver, brought to you by the Canucks. Honestly Pearson is movable, I don't know why he isn't gone yet. He has the potential to hit 40 points, provide two-way ability on the 3rd line of a contender for under 4M. 

Yes, Poolman sucks. We overpaid so much during the Benning era, it's embarrassing. 

• Cheers 1