The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, iinatcc said:

But nothing in the pipeline. As the folks in Sportsnet 650 said. 

The Horvat and Boeser years are practically wasted 

Pettersson, Demko, and Hughes have around 4 or 5 prime years left in which it will probably take that same amount of time for the organization to get out of their cap troubles and rebuild the prospect pool.

Honestly it's tempting the blow things up. As some analyst in Sportsnet "there really is no path for the Canucks other than pain"

Some analyst on Sportsnet said the Flames would win the cup with all their depth last off season and they were humiliated by an incomplete Oilers team. 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

It's evolution, baby

I don't know. It seems like this year is actually the best version of this core. In the next few years OEL will get older, Pettersson is up for an extension, either Horvat and Kuzmenko are traded, resigned with a higher cap hit, or gone.

• Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

We don't have a good core. Or at least the right mix. 

If the team's core was good it wouldn't have missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and still counting. And the Bubble year wasn't even a real appearance. 

The supporting cast mix is the issue not the core 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Some analyst on Sportsnet said the Flames would win the cup with all their depth last off season and they were humiliated by an incomplete Oilers team. 

On paper the Flames looked playoff built, they weren't which is too bad. But I can see why they predicted that team to go deep.

Same way why I can see their pov on this teams trajectory. The team, as a result of the poor drafting in later rounds, have no prospects. Eventually once cap troubles and extension start to be given we could see a Canucks team similar to the Oilers but w/o McDavid or Draisatl. A top heavy team with questionable depth. 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

On paper the Flames looked playoff built, they weren't which is too bad. But I can see why they predicted that team to go deep.

Same way why I can see their pov on this teams trajectory. The team, as a result of the poor drafting in later rounds, have no prospects. Eventually once cap troubles and extension start to be given we could see a Canucks team similar to the Oilers but w/o McDavid or Draisatl. A top heavy team with questionable depth. 

Analyst predictions aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Analyst predictions aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. 

They aren't perfect but their predictions (Sportsnet and TSN 1040 at the time) on the path of this team seems to have come true more or less. Especially on the contracts the team was giving out a few years back . 

I think the lesson we should have learned from all this is that we can be too close minded in what on their expertise and knowledge on the sports and league.

Edited by iinatcc

They aren't perfect but their predictions (Sportsnet and TSN 1040 at the time) on the path of this team seems to have come true more or less. Especially on the contracts the team was giving out a few years back . 

I think the lesson we should have learned from all this is that we can be too close minded in what on their expertise and knowledge on the sports and league.

Too many variables especially with this management group. JT was as good as gone and to be moved at the deadline according to them at 9am then he signed an extension. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Seems they've addressed that recently. Have you not been watching?

And they did last year too, but we started with the same results this year under the phrase “unfinished business”. 

Don’t get me wrong; I like this core and don’t want to tear it down. And I am loving the wins….but this team still has issues that need to be dealt with, and to ignore them will do no one any good.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Pettersson, Demko, and Hughes have around 4 or 5 prime years left

Did you see J.T. Miller last year? how old was he?

Have you seen Bo Horvat this year? how old is he?

was Petey a better play as a rookie or now?

was Hughes a better player as a rookie or now?

3 of the 4 above are only getting better, as they get older?

Goalies are a different species altogether, I don't feel like giving myself a headache :ph34r:

Isn't the age bracket of 26-30 when most NHL players are in their primes?

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

Did you see J.T. Miller last year? how old was he?

Have you seen Bo Horvat this year? how old is he?

was Petey a better play as a rookie or now?

was Hughes a better player as a rookie or now?

3 of the 4 above are only getting better, as they get older?

Goalies are a different species altogether, I don't feel like giving myself a headache :ph34r:

Isn't the age bracket of 26-30 when most NHL players are in their primes?

Yeah the window is nowhere near as closed as made out. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Too many variables especially with this management group. JT was as good as gone and to be moved at the deadline according to them at 9am then he signed an extension. 

I think Elliot Friedman said the Miller extension just came out of nowhere. And the Team was trying their best to trade him but the team couldn't get the return they wanted. I think they were far apart from an extension until talks suddenly progressed in such a Short period of time.

I think Elliot Friedman said the Miller extension just came out of nowhere. And the Team was trying their best to trade him but the team couldn't get the return they wanted. I think they were far apart from an extension until talks suddenly progressed in such a Short period of time.

Also proves when it comes to how this team is being constructed and worked on they don’t always have a clue what is actually going on. 

• Upvote 1