The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Hoglander + Schenn for Cal Foote

49 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes that is the issue. But I don't think we have too much to lose by trading a low pick for Foote and seeing how he goes. Look at how well Bear has turned out and he could hardly make the Hurricanes lineup...

ya low pick i have no issue with, just not a roster player or current prospect aka hogs etc 

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Foote is still developing and has some decent skills and strengths that he already utilizes.  Unfortunately his

skating is below average though.  He certainly has potential, but that skating may ground him in the 3rd pairing.

Here's a quote from an article written Sept/22.

"With 91 games played in the NHL and 246 in professional hockey overall, we’re starting to get an idea of what type of player Foote is going to be. He is a smart defender that is a solid passer with a heavy shot that he doesn’t use enough. While he can be quick in making decisions, his skating speed is below NHL level and can get him in trouble at times.

In his somewhat limited time last season he showed that he was willing to do some of those less-than-exciting things that one doesn’t necessarily associate with his games. He averaged 4.65 blocked shots per 60 minutes. The only player on the Lightning to post a higher average per 60 minutes of play - Ryan McDonagh (well technically Sean Day and Darren Raddysh did as well, but they had less than 11 minutes of ice time).

Foote also averaged 6.77 hits per game, which (when you take out a few players who had cups of coffee with the team) put him in the top ten for the team last year. At 6’4” and 227 lbs. he’s learning how to use his physical size to close off plays in the defensive zone. That, along with his hockey IQ, should help him evolve into a shutdown defender as his career develops."

https://www.rawcharge.com/2022/9/28/23375585/tampa-bay-lightning-top-25-under-25-cal-foote-prospect-projection-scouting-bio-trade-bait-first-pair

Sounds like a younger version of Luke Schenn.  I’d do Schenn straight up for Foote.  Tampa might bite if they are looking for depth on D for their playoff run and are not sold on Foote long term. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sounds like a younger version of Luke Schenn.  I’d do Schenn straight up for Foote.  Tampa might bite if they are looking for depth on D for their playoff run and are not sold on Foote long term. 

Quite possible, Pete.  Tampa has been very patient with his development and they may have decided he will

never be more than a 3rd pairing dman.  Schenn would do way more for them in the playoff (and he's better

this season than he ever was in Tampa).

The Canucks can utilize Foote's physical style of play, even if he never becomes more than a 3rd pairing dman.

He could become a very good shutdown guy; he certainly has the IQ and skills.  It's just the friggin' skating that

is holding him back.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Quite possible, Pete.  Tampa has been very patient with his development and they may have decided he will

never be more than a 3rd pairing dman.  Schenn would do way more for them in the playoff (and he's better

this season than he ever was in Tampa).

The Canucks can utilize Foote's physical style of play, even if he never becomes more than a 3rd pairing dman.

He could become a very good shutdown guy; he certainly has the IQ and skills.  It's just the friggin' skating that

is holding him back.

Yes I agree. At the very least he would make us bigger on the backend and help our penalty kill. If Schenn can play with Hughes I am sure Foote can as well. His father wasn’t the best skater either. 

Even if he is only a 3rd pairing guy at least we have that spot filled up. I don’t see Myers or Burroughs sticking around for long. And Schenn may move on as well. So all we’d have left is Bear anyways on the right side.

If we can sign Livingstone in the summer he could be a top 4 guy. So we have Foote and Livingstone and Bear on the right side. One more shutdown RHD and we are set. Maybe we get that guy on a Horvat trade. Braden Schneider would be perfect. 

• Cheers 2

On 12/29/2022 at 2:05 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Interesting read here:

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-faltering-lightning-bargain-hunting-trade-deadline-2023/

I would imagine it would take a lot to pull Cal Foote away from TB, because he ticks a lot of boxes (young, RH shot, good size, good hockey awareness).

Could Hoglander and Schenn do it and would Cal sign an extension in Van?  While there's so much potential with Cal, there's some unknowns also.  He hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet.  I think he's right at that age where his NHL future is about to be defined.  I haven't seen very much of him so I'm curious what others think.

Foote's skating has been an issue and has kept him from becoming the dman that Tampa was hoping for. At this point we could probably get him for a 3rd round pick. 

• Like 1

Big and a bit sluggish/slow, but he has great size, great reach and can play with a mean streak. I wouldn't want to sacrifice too much for Foote, there are plenty other good RDs out there and honestly I'd rather someone a bit smaller but with better skating to keep up with Hughes or a slower OEL when he gets older.

That being said, a straight swap Schenn for Foote would be interesting but we'd surely have to give up some sort of future (3rd or 4th round pick?).

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Big and a bit sluggish/slow, but he has great size, great reach and can play with a mean streak. I wouldn't want to sacrifice too much for Foote, there are plenty other good RDs out there and honestly I'd rather someone a bit smaller but with better skating to keep up with Hughes or a slower OEL when he gets older.

That being said, a straight swap Schenn for Foote would be interesting but we'd surely have to give up some sort of future (3rd or 4th round pick?).

Schenn for Foot is more than fair.  Likely TBay adds a pick.