The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Hoglander + Schenn for Cal Foote

Interesting read here:

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-faltering-lightning-bargain-hunting-trade-deadline-2023/

I would imagine it would take a lot to pull Cal Foote away from TB, because he ticks a lot of boxes (young, RH shot, good size, good hockey awareness).

Could Hoglander and Schenn do it and would Cal sign an extension in Van?  While there's so much potential with Cal, there's some unknowns also.  He hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet.  I think he's right at that age where his NHL future is about to be defined.  I haven't seen very much of him so I'm curious what others think.

About the only bad thing I've heard/seen about Cal is concerns over foot speed; however that was just by posters here.

Just checked Elite Prospects and they say

"

An incredibly tough defenseman to beat in the defensive zone who is only going to get better, Futureconsiderations.ca 2017
Foote is a physically gifted defender who is consistently tasked with and does an excellent job of shutting down the top attackers, Hockeyprospect.com 2017"

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Judging by what Bolts fans are mumbling, you might get him for Schenn alone

If that is the deal- take it.

Gain 9 years of possible play time. 

RFA-, next year but won't require too large a raise- probably re-sign in the 1-1.1 mill range at most.

• Like 2

I mean, I don't know what his value is since he's been pretty quiet. But as for signing an extension. He's an RFA so I don't think he has much choice if he wants to play. And with our abysmal RD depth he can almost moonwalk into the top 4 here. At the very least the door is wide open for him to take one of those spots if he's actually legit.

Although looking at it, he's 24 and hasn't really shown top 4 ability. So it's looking like he's a 3rd pair guy at best unless he really breaks out here. He can probably be had for cheap. He's looking like he's not the highly touted prospect he once was. He has skating issues, at least from what I hear, which screams Griffin Reinhart. He checked all the boxes for great top 4 D too. I don't know. He's intriguing. But I can't tell if it's cause of his name and the fact I wanted him at his draft.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Interesting read here:

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-faltering-lightning-bargain-hunting-trade-deadline-2023/

I would imagine it would take a lot to pull Cal Foote away from TB, because he ticks a lot of boxes (young, RH shot, good size, good hockey awareness).

Could Hoglander and Schenn do it and would Cal sign an extension in Van?  While there's so much potential with Cal, there's some unknowns also.  He hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet.  I think he's right at that age where his NHL future is about to be defined.  I haven't seen very much of him so I'm curious what others think.

Foote would be a terrific add.  I’d absolutely do Hoglander and Schenn for Foote but I’d be interested in finding out as to specifically why Foote hasn’t panned out in Tampa.  Victim of depth?  Lack of work ethic outside of the rink?  Foote excites me but I’m wary about moving Hoglander. Hoglander has a terrific attitude and work ethic, combined with skill, and so I’d be careful in moving him.

• Cheers 1

Foote is still developing and has some decent skills and strengths that he already utilizes.  Unfortunately his

skating is below average though.  He certainly has potential, but that skating may ground him in the 3rd pairing.

Here's a quote from an article written Sept/22.

"With 91 games played in the NHL and 246 in professional hockey overall, we’re starting to get an idea of what type of player Foote is going to be. He is a smart defender that is a solid passer with a heavy shot that he doesn’t use enough. While he can be quick in making decisions, his skating speed is below NHL level and can get him in trouble at times.

In his somewhat limited time last season he showed that he was willing to do some of those less-than-exciting things that one doesn’t necessarily associate with his games. He averaged 4.65 blocked shots per 60 minutes. The only player on the Lightning to post a higher average per 60 minutes of play - Ryan McDonagh (well technically Sean Day and Darren Raddysh did as well, but they had less than 11 minutes of ice time).

Foote also averaged 6.77 hits per game, which (when you take out a few players who had cups of coffee with the team) put him in the top ten for the team last year. At 6’4” and 227 lbs. he’s learning how to use his physical size to close off plays in the defensive zone. That, along with his hockey IQ, should help him evolve into a shutdown defender as his career develops."

https://www.rawcharge.com/2022/9/28/23375585/tampa-bay-lightning-top-25-under-25-cal-foote-prospect-projection-scouting-bio-trade-bait-first-pair

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

So a Schenn 2.0 perhaps?  If we could get him without giving up Hogz, that would be fantastic.  I agree that Hogz has a lot of upside and being patient with him is wise.  But being patient like Virtanen is not something to be repeated.

I'd be particularly interested in Cal's attitude.  You have to wonder whether he'd be willing to put the hard work in to shred 15 pounds to get his speed up.  He'd still be strong out there.  This is the one thing about Brock which has annoyed me.  He hasn't been the same player since he piled up on muscle that summer after his rookie season (if I recall correctly).

• There it is 2

8 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

So a Schenn 2.0 perhaps?  If we could get him without giving up Hogz, that would be fantastic.  I agree that Hogz has a lot of upside and being patient with him is wise.  But being patient like Virtanen is not something to be repeated.

I'd be particularly interested in Cal's attitude.  You have to wonder whether he'd be willing to put the hard work in to shred 15 pounds to get his speed up.  He'd still be strong out there.  This is the one thing about Brock which has annoyed me.  He hasn't been the same player since he piled up on muscle that summer after his rookie season (if I recall correctly).

Not picking at your comment, but I need to know...was Schenn ever considered a below average skater?

1 hour ago, garthsbutcher said:

Foote is a 5-6 at best which is a 2-3 on our team

I think it was Craig Button who said the Canucks have the best collection of bottom pair defenseman in the NHL (all of our d other than QH)

We don't need more

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not picking at your comment, but I need to know...was Schenn ever considered a below average skater?

I couldn't comment on "ever", but I would say that Schenn is not a fast skater compared to other D....but you'd expect that with a larger, more physical guy.  There's an argument for players like this though if you have enough speed with their partners IMO.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

I think it was Craig Button who said the Canucks have the best collection of bottom pair defenseman in the NHL (all of our d other than QH)

We don't need more

True.....it comes down to what you think his upside is.  Could he be a top 4?  I don't pretend to know the answer but I do know that we're not landing top 4 D very easily without giving up one of our top players.....which we should still do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I couldn't comment on "ever", but I would say that Schenn is not a fast skater compared to other D....but you'd expect that with a larger, more physical guy.  There's an argument for players like this though if you have enough speed with their partners IMO.

And here he is, at 33yrs, having what is looking like a career year.  Incredible.

• Cheers 1

Quite a few TBL fans are suggesting VAN could get Cal Foote for around a 2023 4th round pick right now. That would be worth the gamble.

There is absolutely no way we should be adding Hoglander or Schenn to a deal for Foote. If we trade Schenn we do it for a 2023 2nd round pick in return. We should keep Hogs.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

True.....it comes down to what you think his upside is.  Could he be a top 4?  I don't pretend to know the answer but I do know that we're not landing top 4 D very easily without giving up one of our top players.....which we should still do.

Ya i’m just assuming if Bolts fans have soured on him and skating is an issue, that’s a big red flag (the latter) 

2 minutes ago, Tanti9 said:

Ya i’m just assuming if Bolts fans have soured on him and skating is an issue, that’s a big red flag (the latter) 

Yes that is the issue. But I don't think we have too much to lose by trading a low pick for Foote and seeing how he goes. Look at how well Bear has turned out and he could hardly make the Hurricanes lineup...

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

About the only bad thing I've heard/seen about Cal is concerns over foot speed; however that was just by posters here.

Just checked Elite Prospects and they say

"

An incredibly tough defenseman to beat in the defensive zone who is only going to get better, Futureconsiderations.ca 2017
Foote is a physically gifted defender who is consistently tasked with and does an excellent job of shutting down the top attackers, Hockeyprospect.com 2017"

2017 was almost 6 years ago...