The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Dec. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I couldn't see the bench or whether Boudreau was calling the tender off or not? I don't have a lot of problem with Miller's call. Firstly, as fans, we have no idea what he said. Fans are loud so maybe he had to yell? Delia had made a number of questionable plays/non-plays during the game which suggested nervousness. Miller could easily have been trying to help him out. Thinking the worst of Miller isn't fair. 

I thought the team played well for over half a game. Long periods of ozone play without many shots. Koz & Mik had good games. Interesting that Hughes had shifts on the RD. Dermott looked OK considering the time off. Garland looked good. 

Since this is the Canuck fan site and critic has to happen... Again I didn't like Boeser's game. Kinda floated around. Couple of nice passes, nothing special. What really bothers me is when a player coasts into a board battle which BB does a lot.  Trade him please.

Delia’s nervousness if that’s what it was ? Miller’s actions weren’t helping. And if he (miller) see’s himself as a leader. Then maybe he should have recognized delia’s nervousness instead of possibly compounding it. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Delia’s nervousness if that’s what it was ? Miller’s actions weren’t helping. And if he (miller) see’s himself as a leader. Then maybe he should have recognized delia’s nervousness instead of possibly compounding it. 

I'm not sure Delia understood what was going on.   It's the job of the vets to help the younger or newer NHLers on the ice.   Myers constantly screamed assignments over to OJ, OJ was appreciative.   Suppose that's two different things, but Delia did need to leave the net.   We had possession.  

Edit:  Chalk it up to a learning experience.  Sure Delia won't hesitate next time. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

There’s no doubt about delia’s confusion  given the noise factor. And a very real possibility that Delia has never been confronted with rushing to the bench whist the puck is behind the net. Him not knowing if miller’s going to move the puck out to another player further up ice. His role is positional as well. There’s also the a distraction element at play if he’s trying to look at the bench , which by under any other pull the goalie circumstance is exactly what he’s supposed to do. He may well have not wanted to turn his head back wards for a couple of reasons. 

Yes he was unsure.   Miller's action caused the proper reaction.     And don't fault either player.    Or think there will be any hard feelings.  

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

Anybody that’s ever worked with that one outspoken person who’s known for stepping out his job description ( yelling, demanding,ordering) would,could , should understand it’s not on miller to make that call. Add in the noise level the fact he’s behind the net , circles back yells more. Distracting Delia even more?  Goalies on their own volition make the move to the bench or at least half way, depending on if your bench is the furthest away or not. But normally the play has to be across the center line and progressing. Miller has to put his money where his mouth is. As a player that has deficiancies in his own game, doesn’t leave enough room for him to take it upon himself to vocalize what he thinks should happen. One team mate putting pressure on another player NEVER ends well. Having played at a reasonably high level myself I have played with/against players that displayed the same, and it tends to have an isolating result. Lots of posters say horvats not vocal enough as captain. Of which I’m not in that camp. But maybe Miller see’s it that way too?  Either way it’s not beneficial to comradery. I get he doesn’t like to lose. But That’s on him to deal with , laying expectation in that style only serves himself and has an element of sore loser attached. That old cliche’ there’s no letter i in the word Team,could apply here.  

But ... there is an M and a E.  ME.   That always cracked me up.   Anyone brave enough to point that out. 

• There it is 1

Miller is a "D" bag

A Goalie doesn't leave his net until the puck leaves the "D" Zone unless waved in from the Head Coach!

Miller has single handedly blew games himself with selfish stupid puck give aways in his own zone

What would have happened if he broke his stick when he smacked the Goalies net with it in his fit of anger

The rookie Goalie that made 35 saves in that game

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Cheers 3

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Baby Pout GIF

Delia needed to leave the net.   Miller is who he is ... didn't even leave until he smacked the net with his stick lol.   Any player on this team that had the puck and skated by should have and likely would have done the same.    If Horvat or Sutter did it "what leadership"... Miller does it ... yikes. 

It's not uncommon for players to get their deals and buckle under pressure.   This is the first time in his career, that's he's getting that pressure maybe we should give him some slack.    Last year some shredded EP early on,  Horvat too, deserved or not.     Personally have zero issue with him yelling at him to leave the net - what's he supposed to do, stop and ask politely, and he had to shout more then once to clue him in...   Sure hustled once he smacked the net too.    As for rumours - who's making them?   Us?   Drance?   Reliable source?    What happened to all the hero worship from last year?   It's sad how quickly some turn on guys.   Brock stuff got ugly.   And still is ugly.   

Miller earned every cent of his upcoming deal, it's an example of what an RFA/UFA bridge deal should look like.   Sure he's feeling the pressure.   And yes he needs to pick up some slack.   Cancer etc ... not sure how a guy who's been in the room for 3.5 years now, gets labelled a cancer.   No way he gets another deal if that's the "smoke" coming out of the locker room - he'd have been traded last season. 

I've been negative towards Millers attitude and words since the first season so you know I've been consistent.

I think it's a fair deal but Miller isn't any good with european/eastern europe players.

Totally wrong behaviour.

We have those players here also but they are forced into thinking team first. 

And think Finland, ho ho what problems Miller would have try to be a team player there. 

• There it is 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

I've been negative towards Millers attitude and words since the first season so you know I've been consistent.

I think it's a fair deal but Miller isn't any good with european/eastern europe players.

Totally wrong behaviour.

We have those players here also but they are forced into thinking team first. 

And think Finland, ho ho what problems Miller would have try to be a team player there. 

Its an american ego, arrogance thing.  Its in him to be a jerk.  Not all american players are like this, but its obvious in many of them.  They naturally come with a lot of baggage, even if it doesnt look it from the outside.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Miller’s ruffled feathers ruffle feathers. :lol:image.jpeg.1efb16e0f35f151f44c6087bbf5a9ba1.jpeg

Suppose it did.   All i can say my crews had guys that were green that learned to shout when needed ... nobodies feelings got hurt over it.     Get team building.   It take all types, even those guys with great attitudes and a sense of humour that don't pull all their weight, because it makes morale better doing a tough, dangerous demanding job.  Nothing i've seen (yet) from Miller, and not privy to locker room stuff,  shows he's a liability as far as that goes.    Know it's something totally different too,  and if it's negative negative negative all the time cut that bad apple out right away.    You'd have a better understanding of hockey culture than me.   But i did have three guys that played at a high level working for me.    Two went on to start their own thing after 5-10 years and helped them do it.   The other became a chef.   Hockey players, the ones i was lucky enough to work with - made great employees and even better friends. 

Miller's antics.   Don't mind anyone who hates to lose.   And he's only able to do so much himself.   Get that those guys might need to be reigned in too.   

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Miller's antics.   Don't mind anyone who hates to lose.   And he's only able to do so much himself.   Get that those guys might need to be reigned in too.   

That’s part of it he puts to much on himself and it tends to spill over to an expectation from him to think that others should know what’s going on between his ears. I was a highways driver/ epuipment operator for 22 years and was promoted to road Forman and I found out about lofty expectations pretty fast. (Nothing gets done) Everybody’s learning curve isn’t as steep as everybody else’s. And sometimes patience is required in order to avoid miscommunication. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Miller is the King of Giveaways, the guy can't pass, yet he's going to make $8 million starting next season. I'm pretty concerned that VAN will be stuck with him for 7 more years of him giving up on plays and passing to the other team. 

Thats why we need to make a hockey trade with another suspect team. 

Miller to Nashville for Johansen.

8x3 ( including this year ) is easier to eat than 8x7 starting next year lol. Plus we still get a hometown vet to play behind EP. Move horvat for the future young C and D and walaa 

• Cheers 1

I am still mystified. 

What the hell is wrong with our pk? 

It can't be the personnel. 

We got new guys like Ilya, Lazar... 

We have good / decent players like Petterson, Horvat. 

Doesn't seem to matter whether we get new players. 

Which coach is answerable to the PK? If it's the same one since last year, pretty sure a chance is required. 

A better PK would probably have us in a playoff position. Unless JR is a genius and keeping the pk coach is his way of stealth tanking

Edited by CanucksJay

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I am still mystified. 

What the hell is wrong with our pk? 

It can't be the personnel. 

We got new guys like Ilya, Lazar... 

We have good / decent players like Petterson, Horvat. 

Doesn't seem to matter whether we get new players. 

Which coach is answerable to the PK? If it's the same one since last year, pretty sure a chance is required. 

A better PK would probably have us in a playoff position. Unless JR is a genius and keeping the pk coach is his way of stealth tanking

Considering SJ is number 1... it's extremely mind boggling lmao

Also, while I was hoping canucks would pull through and go on a serious run to make the playoffs, as others have mentioned, January schedule is very tough. 

Maybe the team makes Allvins job easier by being well out of it  before the trade deadline. 

Back before the Sedins when canucks were a mediocre team. The mantra to make playoffs had always been beat the teams you should beat and go 500 against the others. 

I wonder where we are at record wise in terms of playing playoff teams. Like how many games below 500?

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Also, while I was hoping canucks would pull through and go on a serious run to make the playoffs, as others have mentioned, January schedule is very tough. 

Maybe the team makes Allvins job easier by being well out of it  before the trade deadline. 

Back before the Sedins when canucks were a mediocre team. The mantra to make playoffs had always been beat the teams you should beat and go 500 against the others. 

I wonder where we are at record wise in terms of playing playoff teams. Like how many games below 500?

The mantra should be win every damn game like everything depends on it

• Cheers 1