The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Slovakia vs. Canada | Quarterfinal | Jan. 02, 2023 | 3:30 pm PT

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Bedard getting way too much love

Racks up points against Austria and Germany. Scores against a tired Slovak team that would have won if they had Slafkovsky

He'll get shutout by the States

Slovakia was already tired after only 6 minutes into the game?  No wonder they lost, they must really be out of shape...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Chicago would be the worst by far. I'd be ok with Arizona just so they can finally build a fanbase

Ideally he'd go out east though. Columbus would be a good spot

Philadelphia would probably be the worst, for his career.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Torts benches him because of a misplay in the defensive zone. 

5 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

This is a selfish attitude, quite frankly. Even if Bedard wasn't Canadian, more superstar talent can only be good for the game.

5 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Anyone who loves hockey should be excited about this kid.  Bitterness really backfires here.

If we're looking at it from the perspective of what's good for the game, wouldn't that mean you'd have wanted Slovakia to win?

A new champion would be much better for the game than the same teams winning again and again. Would grow the game around the world.

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

If we're looking at it from the perspective of what's good for the game, wouldn't that mean you'd have wanted Slovakia to win?

A new champion would be much better for the game than the same teams winning again and again. Would grow the game around the world.

Sure? but that's like asking a Brazilian soccer world cup fan if they'd want a team like Morocco to beat them in a quarter final to show more growth in the levels of the game.

If they're directly playing one another in a knockout round, they probably wouldn't be cheering for opposing side just for that reason.

If it's against someone else then maybe.

3 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Canada has only won the title 4 out of the 10 tournaments since 2012. That’s hardly winning year after year. 

If you want other countries to grow, simply be better and invest on these kids.

6 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Sure? but that's like asking a Brazilian soccer world cup fan if they'd want a team like Morocco to beat them in a quarter final to show more growth in the levels of the game.

If they're directly playing one another in a knockout round, they probably wouldn't be cheering for opposing side just for that reason.

True

if I were a Swedish or American or Russian fan you could cheer against Canada vs a smaller hockey country. Just like a Canadian fan could cheer for them against any other more established hockey country. No need to cheer against your own country. I

It all balances out.

:gocan:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Yes, I'm pointing out the flaw in their argument.

I don't expect them to cheer for Slovakia, nor should they expect me to cheer for Bedard.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

True

if I were a Swedish or American or Russian fan you could cheer against Canada vs a smaller hockey country. Just like a Canadian fan could cheer for them against any other more established hockey country. No need to cheer against your own country. I

It all balances out.

:gocan:

Agreed. 

I like when smaller hockey nations win because it probably brings more prestige/attention to their nation's hockey program. 

Hockey for everyone right?  I'd like to see the game grow.

• Cheers 2