The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Czechia vs. Canada | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2023 | 3:30 pm PT

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

The best Czech forward has been their 6’4 power forward Shapavoliv. Unfortunately he was picked in the second round last year by Vegas. Just after where Vancouver would have picked if they had kept their second rounder.

You think the Canucks would've picked him though? Hell no. When's the last time we drafted anyone from Czechia? Jasek in 2015?

Can't wait for the final today! Grew up in Halifax and played in that building many times. Ice was always s*** there though. Was also there in April of last year to see Judas Priest. 

Have had a lot of friends going to the games in the tourney. Home crowd was awesome yesterday! Go Canada go! 

• Cheers 1

Czechia is the more balanced and better TEAM. The thing is, Canada's got the most devastating weapon it's had in maybe decades. Connor freaking Bedard. The guy is single handedly (yeah I said it) carrying this team to gold. 

Not knocking the other Canada players because to be fair, some of them will have good NHL careers, but it's easy to tell that without Bedard, the podium would have been a long shot. Heck, they haven't even buried 50% of the caviars Bedard has set up all tournament long.

Wright is also.... not a bust but clearly not someone worth using a top pick for. 

This tournament has also made me more ok with not having Guenther. He's nothing special. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not that I've tried a lot. But when I went to Fogg N' Suds and had Czech beer it tasted like I was licking an ashtray.

Czechs pee in bottles and sell it to other countries, got to go there for the beer. Thee’s only a couple Czech beer available here that I like.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Czechia is the more balanced and better TEAM. The thing is, Canada's got the most devastating weapon it's had in maybe decades. Connor freaking Bedard. The guy is single handedly (yeah I said it) carrying this team to gold. 

Not knocking the other Canada players because to be fair, some of them will have good NHL careers, but it's easy to tell that without Bedard, the podium would have been a long shot. Heck, they haven't even buried 50% of the caviars Bedard has set up all tournament long.

Wright is also.... not a bust but clearly not someone worth using a top pick for. 

This tournament has also made me more ok with not having Guenther. He's nothing special. 

Guenther is 19 lol. Don't read too much into these tournament point totals.....Guenther has the same amount or more  points as Toews, Heatley, Point, Makar, Marchand Kadri, Batherson, Cirelli did in less or equal games played. These are teenagers on a huge stage, this isn't a direct comparison or projection for their pro career in any way. I personally would rather have Guenther than 6 goal Garland and OEL until he's 40....but that's just me. Guenther by the way in on a better PPG pace than Garland...just saying. He has 3 less goals in 15 less games played so it's odd you'd rather have Garland and OEL.

Guys in front of him? Daigle, Hayton, Petan, Lazar, Dawes, Drouin, Lundmark...not a surefire projection. 

A 19 year old in the NHL is indeed special. That's not debatable. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 3