The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Czechia vs. Canada | Gold Medal Game | Jan. 05, 2023 | 3:30 pm PT

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

The Connor Garland + OEL for Dylan Guenther will go down as the Canucks worst trade of all time.  And that’s saying something.

No it won't. And who knows exactly which player management would have chosen if they retained the pick. It's much ado about nothing.

Just now, BarnBurner said:

No it won't. And who knows exactly which player management would have chosen if they retained the pick. It's much ado about nothing.

Yea if people wanna get mad at Benning How about the actual picks he made?

Juolevi over Tkachuk? Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander? The list goes on.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yea if people wanna get mad at Benning How about the actual picks he made?

Juolevi over Tkachuk? Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander? The list goes on.

It's not guaranteed, that's for sure. Wichenheiser over Denis Savard? That must have driven the fans in Montreal bonkers. Stefan over one of the Sedins, etc. How many teams passed on Pastrnak? We did twice. Too many examples. It can be, and definitely is a crapshoot. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

It's not guaranteed, that's for sure. Wichenheiser over Denis Savard? That must have driven the fans in Montreal bonkers. Stefan over one of the Sedins, etc. How many teams passed on Pastrnak? We did twice. Too many examples. It can be, and definitely is a crapshoot. 

Yeah and on the flip side we have EP and QH (who may end up being our

franchise’s best ever Dman) thanks to JB’s drafting. Two elite players that other GMs also passed on.

definitely goes both ways and can be a crapshoot, and is also entirely dependent on what factors affect the drafted player in their own development.

I don’t have too much of an issue with JB’s drafting…it’s the lopsided record of negative over positive when it comes to trading and UFA signings. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yeah and on the flip side we have EP and QH (who may end up being our

franchise’s best ever Dman) thanks to JB’s drafting. Two elite players that other GMs also passed on.

definitely goes both ways and can be a crapshoot, and is also entirely dependent on what factors affect the drafted player in their own development.

I don’t have too much of an issue with JB’s drafting…it’s the lopsided record of negative over positive when it comes to trading and UFA signings. 

Yeah, and for the record, I'm not some major JB fanboy. 

I'm talking about choices many GM teams have made throughout the history of any pro league, as an example. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Olli Juolevi was drafted 5th overall and looked good in the World Juniors. Let’s see how he does in the NHL. 

I like how we use the Juolevi card only when it's convenient, when the Canucks pick this draft looks like he's headed the same trajectory as Juolevi.

Let's face it if Guetnher was a Canucks most of us would be exited and saying he's oozing potential