The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) 4 teams interested in J.T. Miller

combover

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nope. My crystal ball is saying Boeser. Prefer it was Garland on the outs, but can’t argue with the ball.

This is so dumb. I mean, you gotta get another crystal ball man. Or you already know some other team owns the Canucks and will do another Schenn deal.

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

buying out OEL is the dumbest thing they can do.. i rather retain 3mil to move him then have his cap on the books for 8 years with years 3 and 4 supposively their timeline for this "retool" is almost 4.8mil in cap penalty

First off, you can't trade OEL, nobody will take him, even with $3 million retention.  Secondly, even if there was one team out there he probably vetoes the deal.  Thirdly, even if there is one team out there and we retain $3 million, that's still on the books for 4 years, or during our supposed window.  That's not much different than the $4.7 million on the buyout.

At the end of the day, trying to trade OEL is fantasy.  It will never happen.  So, you either need to keep him on the books at $7.26 million for 4 more years, which screws our cap the most, or you can buy him out this summer and have the next two years as almost freebies in order to completely rebuild the defence.

I'd rather have the $7.26 million completely off the books next year along with Myers $6 million if Arizona will take him, and then have that $13 million freed up to get 3-4 NHL Dmen...

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

First off, you can't trade OEL, nobody will take him, even with $3 million retention.  Secondly, even if there was one team out there he probably vetoes the deal.  Thirdly, even if there is one team out there and we retain $3 million, that's still on the books for 4 years, or during our supposed window.  That's not much different than the $4.7 million on the buyout.

At the end of the day, trying to trade OEL is fantasy.  It will never happen.  So, you either need to keep him on the books at $7.26 million for 4 more years, which screws our cap the most, or you can buy him out this summer and have the next two years as almost freebies in order to completely rebuild the defence.

I'd rather have the $7.26 million completely off the books next year along with Myers $6 million if Arizona will take him, and then have that $13 million freed up to get 3-4 NHL Dmen...

2030. That's gonna be a no from me, dawg.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

what if he gets a hand injury? that no one can fix for a few years or more....

I's not going to be Miller.  It's going to be Boeser.  We will probably have to retain $2 million to make this work.

A deal around Boeser for POJ, McGinn and a pick  makes the most sense.  They may want a Dman back as well.  Maybe Wolanin or Brisebois might interest them.  Would need to retain $2 million to make this work for Pittsburgh.

The other scenario is they trade Zucker instead of McGinn to us and we retain only $1 million and Pitttsburgh can use the extra cap space to get another Dman.  They probably want to keep Zucker though if they want to make a playoff run...

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

what if someone could coach OEL and Myers to actually play like they used to play. Like earn the money they are getting paid. Maybe we dont need other defensemen we just need to get what we are paying them for.

Or maybe a hitman.

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

2030. That's gonna be a no from me, dawg.

I can live with the $2.1 million for the extra 4 years on a buyout if it allows us major cap space for the next 2 years to try and fix this defence.  It can't be fixed if we have a $7.26 million anchor on it for the next 4 years...

1 minute ago, EastCoastNucks said:

what if someone could coach OEL and Myers to actually play like they used to play. Like earn the money they are getting paid. Maybe we dont need other defensemen we just need to get what we are paying them for.

Or maybe a hitman.

OEL already had Tocchet as his coach and it didn't work out.  So, it's not going to work out this time either.  Our defence needs a 100% overhaul.  The only legit NHL Dman we have that is worth keeping is Hughes.  So, we are looking at needing 4-5 guys minimum if we want to ever see the playoffs again. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Man people be still talking about an OEL buyout when it's been explained over and over and over that is doesn't make any sense whatsoever.  

This place really is a brick wall. 

Who is the one explaining it that is saying it doesn't make sense?  A couple of CDC posters?  I heard Satiar Shah discuss it and he said he would be on board with it.  I've heard others as well.  The buyout if it happens this summer is not as bad as you think.  The entire $7.26 million is wiped out for next year.  So, it's really only a 7-year buyout.  And only two of those years is over $2 million.  It's not ideal, but it's way better than keeping him on the books for 4 more years at $7.26 million.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I's not going to be Miller.  It's going to be Boeser.  We will probably have to retain $2 million to make this work.

A deal around Boeser for POJ, McGinn and a pick  makes the most sense.  They may want a Dman back as well.  Maybe Wolanin or Brisebois might interest them.  Would need to retain $2 million to make this work for Pittsburgh.

The other scenario is they trade Zucker instead of McGinn to us and we retain only $1 million and Pitttsburgh can use the extra cap space to get another Dman.  They probably want to keep Zucker though if they want to make a playoff run...

Can't see Pittsburgh removing an efficient player from their roster when they really need all the help they can get.  Zucker also has a 10-team no trade - when he was still in Minnesota he apparently had all Canadian teams on the list per Russo.  Not sure it would have changed.  

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL already had Tocchet as his coach and it didn't work out.  So, it's not going to work out this time either.  Our defence needs a 100% overhaul.  The only legit NHL Dman we have that is worth keeping is Hughes.  So, we are looking at needing 4-5 guys minimum if we want to ever see the playoffs again. 

You dont know Hockey players then., i saw you wanted to get Brock out too. JT is the guy who has value but no loyalty fo canucks. We can fix Myers, OEL, Boeser, and the fact you didnt mention Bear makes me realize you dont actually see the games.

• Sad 1

Just now, mll said:

Can't see Pittsburgh removing an efficient player from their roster when they really need all the help they can get.  Zucker also has a 10-team no trade - when he was still in Minnesota he apparently had all Canadian teams on the list per Russo.  Not sure it would have changed.  

Yes, that is why my first trade proposal is the one I am thinking will happen.  McGinn was put on waivers, so he is obviously the guy they want to go.  And the Canuck need to retain on Boeser for this to work.  POJ and a 2nd round pick probably closes the deal...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Who is the one explaining it that is saying it doesn't make sense?  A couple of CDC posters?  I heard Satiar Shah discuss it and he said he would be on board with it.  I've heard others as well.  The buyout if it happens this summer is not as bad as you think.  The entire $7.26 million is wiped out for next year.  So, it's really only a 7-year buyout.  And only two of those years is over $2 million.  It's not ideal, but it's way better than keeping him on the books for 4 more years at $7.26 million.  

OH, you listen to Satiar Shah? are you Ian Macintire? is this your alias?

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, that is why my first trade proposal is the one I am thinking will happen.  McGinn was put on waivers, so he is obviously the guy they want to go.  And the Canuck need to retain on Boeser for this to work.  POJ and a 2nd round pick probably closes the deal...

why the f**k would canucks retain on Boeser? he is worth every penny

• Haha 2

I see "make believe" is going strong and well towards the trade deadline.  As we all well know, most trade proposals that fans come up with on the internet, especially CDC, are unrealistic fairy tales.  Which, as usual, sets themselves up for a great excuse to complain for the sake of complaining once a trade is done (or not done) and to project their own frustrations on a management group that has been doing a pretty darn good job when they've been given the green light to do their "major surgery."

So far, so good.  

Edited by Metal Face Doom

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can live with the $2.1 million for the extra 4 years on a buyout if it allows us major cap space for the next 2 years to try and fix this defence.  It can't be fixed if we have a $7.26 million anchor on it for the next 4 years...

What help do you think the extra cap is going to give us fixing the blueline? We've been trying to patch up the blueline via free agency and trades for years and it's been a disaster. Be patient, stockpile picks over the next couple seasons (the team isn't going anywhere next year anyways), and wait and see what happens. Maybe OEL regains his form, maybe he retires, maybe he opens up to the possibility of a trade, or maybe we buy him out then. Point is that there's no reason to do it now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2