The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Jan. 10, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Well we always said Jan schedule against actual good teams will show us where we're at

Apparently we lost all 4 games in Jan as part of a 6 game losing streak to start the year... 

I don't know when the schedule softens but we need to make trades and sell before then.. No point having Miller and Horvat light up the sj and coyotes of this league and try to bring "respect" back to the team. We at this point need to tank hard. 

The harder we tank, the higher even our 2nd round pick will be. 

I mean we got hogz and Demko with our 2nds.. We can find another good player there this year. 

Edited by CanucksJay

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Bo tried hard but defensively he’s not nearly to Petey’s level.  Not even close. We will extend him for sure.  Just like with JTM; that’s what our owner wants. 

I can't get over how much money we throw or try to throw at guys who are trash defensively. Our games are entertaining don't get me wrong... But It's pretty embarrassing to blow 3+ goal leads every second night lol

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I can't get over how much money we throw or try to throw at guys who are trash defensively. Our games are entertaining don't get me wrong... But It's pretty embarrassing to blow 3+ goal leads every second night lol

Coaching

51 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

There's not much mustard to him. There's a lack of it across the lineup excluding schenn, burroughs,  joshua, lazar and lockwood.

The team never seems in control. It seems that pettersson and hughes (kuzmenko at times) are the only ones capable of settling things down with the puck and teams are starting to beat them both up physically so its just a constant scramblefest. We really do need to fight more to stop that bs. 

We need jeannot and to draft our own jeannot as well. 30mins of the game we have a jeannot out there!

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Consistently non existent! Hold Bo to the same standard as everyone else. The guy does nothing if he's not standing still for tap ins. Can't even win faceoffs these days.

We are incredibly lucky he's doing the one thing that shoots value up regardless and that's score goals

Yeah, only on pace for 60 goals and hasn't gone more than a CPL games without a goal all season, lines up against the best C's in the league every shift and is still one of the best draw men in the world.  But yes, he's consistently non existent

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Yeah, only on pace for 60 goals and hasn't gone more than a CPL games without a goal all season, lines up against the best C's in the league every shift and is still one of the best draw men in the world.  But yes, he's consistently non existent

We are a team who:

- Broke NHL records for blowing leads

- let in 5+ half the games this year

- Terrible at faceoffs

- Most goals against

- Worst PK

But apparently the guy who plays ALL the hard mins, Main PKer and takes 75% of our faceoffs plays zero roll in any of this hahahaha! Brother I get being a loyal fan of a player but you out soo far out to lunch

He's great at goal scoring. He's HORRIBLE at anything defensively. Those can both be facts. To be honest his goal scoring has screwed us out of tons of losses already as well and that's not what we need 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

People were mentioning the atlanta thrashers and laughing when we played the jets but we're pretty much them from the early 2000s. They scored a bunch, had elite offensive talent in kovy, hossa, heatley, kozlov but never iced decent d and their goalies got hung out to dry. Bo is great this year at scoring and faceoffs. Otherwise he line changes slowly, gives up easily on plays and is a nonexistent backchecker. 

Without bo we will be worse offensively and overall this season but we could move him for a bunch of assets which will make us better on both ends of the ice.

I'd rather have him than miller though but its not happening unless we can trade miller somehow

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
edit

2 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

People were mentioning the atlanta thrashers and laughing when we played the jets but we're pretty much them from the early 2000s. They scored a bunch, had elite offensive talent in kovy, hossa, heatley, kozlov but never iced decent d and their goalies got hung out to dry. Bo is great this year at scoring and faceoffs. Otherwise he line changes slowly, gives up easily on plays and is a nonexistent backchecker. 

Without bo we will be worse offensively and overall this season but we could move him for a bunch of assets which will make us better on both ends of the ice.

What?  How many times do we see bo bust his ass back to be the first back checker?  Tons is the answer you're looking for

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yet this same d- corps, that was not that bad last year. Yeah it had gaffes. But was Shaw coaching the defence to work so much better, or is Yeo that bad? 

Demko

They had all the same problems last year, but had an all world goalie to make them look good

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We are a team who:

- Broke NHL records for blowing leads

- let in 5+ half the games this year

- Terrible at faceoffs

- Most goals against

- Worst PK

But apparently the guy who plays ALL the hard mins, Main PKer and takes 75% of our faceoffs plays zero roll in any of this hahahaha! Brother I get being a loyal fan of a player but you out soo far out to lunch

He's great at goal scoring. He's HORRIBLE at anything defensively. Those can both be facts. To be honest his goal scoring has screwed us out of tons of losses already as well and that's not what we need 

I think that's a bit unfair.

Horvat is a very good 2C.

Problem is, we're expecting him to be Patrice Bergeron / Ryan Kesler in his prime. 

He's been overhyped as elite defensively where he is actually just above average. 

We would be very good if we had another Horvat rather than Miller and Boeser. 

He's one of the least problems defensively on this team. Problem is that we have too many guys that are bad defensively

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

He wasn't chasing short term success, otyer tgan to try and give the young core a winning environment.......pretty hard to fault a guy for wanting a winning team.

Who else could he have got for such a cheap price?  OEL is a solid damn and they got him for scraps .........any other damn would have cost a lot more, both in terms of assets in a deal and cap space.  And no matter who is in the lineup, they we ouid look great under this coach 

I have to disagree he was chasing short term success in exactly the way you stated. He was too eager to force winning onto the team giving up high draft picks and taking on a huge contracts in the process. Much like Miller, OEL, simply doesn't fit the timeline. On top of that if anything we needed a long term high value contract at RD, not LD. As we can clearly see this team was not ready to throw in all their chips as they can't even compete now two years later. I don't get married to any coach or GM so I find it quite easy to point out their flaws with no bias. I liked Benning, still do but he screwed up in hindsight especially there no doubt about it.

Of course the plan or hope was that OEL regained his MVP forum, took on all the tough matchups, freed up QH for great success, and made this defence a tight dependable and winning group. None of that happened though. As for Garland he looked fantastic for 20 games and now he's a negative value contract. Just like Benning acquiring pieces we don't need and then later the fans like yourself try to defend it by saying it's not a bad contract. Like possibly but who even cares that's not the goal. It's a waste of $5 mil in a tight cap world.

The deal was suspect when it happened, it had a chance of working but many feared what has resulted. It didn't work in reality and it doesn't work in hindsight either.

Oleksiak $4.6m

Gostisbehere $4.5m

Dumoulin $4.1m

Dunn $4m

Dillon $3.9m

Zadarov $3.75m

Edmondson $3.5m

Lindgren $3m

Forbort $3m

Garikov $2,8m

Hague $2.29

This list goes on and on. All these players are much cheaper and are probably all better than OEL for us moving forward, and Guenther is probably fair value for any of them. Not to mention we could probably pluck someone off waivers to fill in at this point without missing a beat. The trade has turned out be incredibly poor for us tying up $12 million in cap space we don't have.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think that's a bit unfair.

Horvat is a very good 2C.

Problem is, we're expecting him to be Patrice Bergeron / Ryan Kesler in his prime. 

He's been overhyped as elite defensively where he is actually just above average. 

We would be very good if we had another Horvat rather than Miller and Boeser. 

He's one of the least problems defensively on this team. Problem is that we have too many guys that are bad defensively

The problem is they have a coaching staff that doesn't have an even half way decent defensive system, if they have one at all 

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I have to disagree he was chasing short term success in exactly the way you stated. He was too eager to force winning onto the team giving up high draft picks and taking on a huge contracts in the process. Much like Miller, OEL, simply doesn't fit the timeline. On top of that if anything we needed a long term high value contract at RD, not LD. As we can clearly see this team was not ready to throw in all their chips as they can't even compete now two years later. I don't get married to any coach or GM so I find it quite easy to point out their flaws with no bias. I liked Benning, still do but he screwed up, in hindsight especially there no doubt about it.

Of course the plan or hope was that OEL regained his MVP forum, took on all the tough matchups, freed up QH for great success, and made this defence a tight dependable and winning group. None of that happened though. As for Garland he looked fantastic for 20 games and now he's a negative value contract. Just like Benning acquiring pieces we don't need and then later the fans like yourself try to defend it by saying it's not a bad contract. Like possibly but who even cares that's not the goal. It's a waste of $5 mil in a tight cap world.

The deal was suspect when it happened, it had a chance of working but many feared what has resulted. It didn't work in reality and it doesn't work in hindsight either.

Oleksiak $4.6m

Gostisbehere $4.5m

Dumoulin $4.1m

Dunn $4m

Dillon $3.9m

Zadarov $3.75m

Edmondson $3.5m

Lindgren $3m

Forbort $3m

Garikov $2,8m

Hague $2.29

This list goes on and on. All these players are much cheaper and are probably all better than OEL for us moving forward, and Guenther is probably fair value for any of them. Not to mention we could probably pluck someone off waivers to fill in at this point without missing a beat. The trade has turned out be incredibly poor for us tying up $12 million in cap space we don't have.

None of those guys are in OEL's tier and would look far far worse under this coaching staff.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

The problem is they have a coaching staff that doesn't have an even half way decent defensive system, if they have one at all 

How many coaches have we gone through? 

Last time it was extreme the other way with Green. Our guys weren't scoring and creating chances because they were playing such a defensive system. 

Like what was our goals / game under Green with the same personnel? 

It was absolutely terrible 

With a high scoring team, at least we have a chance for guys to pad their stats before we ship them out. 

Green's system had guys like Petey who were playing like waiver candidates.